View Single Post
Old 12-19-2013, 11:21 AM   #64
Dominic Toretto

Originally Posted by Toby View Post
It's all a shot in the dark. I just tore apart a 100% bone stock 5.0 engine no intake, exhaust etc and it has broken ring lands on 5 pistons!! Cylinders 2, and 5-8 all are broken.

To answer the question about boss vs gt, the cranks are exactly the same save for the balance job. The pistons are a mahle brand forging and the rods are an, IMO, weaker then stock gt, very thin rod. Also there seems to be assumptions that the boss rods and pistons are lighter, when in fact they are heavier then the gt stuff. I will tank pics and give weights tomorrow when I get back to the shop but IMO I would say the gt stuff may be stronger.

<620 rwhp you should be fine unless the ringlands fail. More then that you are just on borrowed time IMO. Another major weaklink is the block for you crazy hp guys. The sleeves are extremely thin, I would not recommend more then 850 rwhp on a stock block. More then that an you are just on borrowed time.

At this point I have built about 15 of these coyote engines with 4 in the shop now waiting to get done. I have pretty much seen every different failure and each time it's either number 8 failure a ringland fails or just too much damn power for a stock short block at 700+.

Take it for what it's worth, this is just my own hands on experience with these engines.
Thanks for the quality post. Very interested to see comparison shots between the internals of the GT and Boss. Thanks for again comfirming the GT and Boss have the same crank. You stated that the pistons are a forged Mahle, is that for the Boss, GT or both?

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote