View Single Post
Old 07-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #47
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
I'm not an E85 guy.

For the money, it's hard to beat E85 as a high-octane fuel. And that doesn't even factor in the inherent cooler operating temps and cylinder temps from running it as compared to race fuel. Those 9- and 8-second cars are drivable on the street. Once you get into the 7- and 6-second realm, there is no longer a pretense that the car will be driven on the street. So on a car like that, the compression goes up, the boost goes up, the timing gets aggressive, and you run a dedicated race fuel.

I'm sorry to hear you're disappointed in the mileage, but I think your 13:1 engine is going to have a helluva time trying to run on pump gas even with the computer doing all its cam timing, fuel trim, and spark advance tricks to keep detonation in check.

Originally Posted by Bearded Banger View Post
Being able to get 105 octane at the pump for the cost compared to a race gas cost is a huge factor.
You get nearly all the benefits for a hell of a lot cheaper. On top of that its more available.
No goes E85 for the mpgs. That's a well known fact. I wanted to protection level it offers. I wouldn't throw your drivo issues at e85 and walk away. You may have issues on a 93/torco blend too. How are you going to consistently get the octane rating your engine needs blending torco and 93? Serious question. Curious as to what your plan is. 10 gallons one can situation? I don't trust that.
Very solid points, fellas.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote