View Single Post
Old 11-22-2013, 12:29 PM   #22
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
No 2 cars are alike. Just because 2 cars have the same commanded tune values, doesn't mean each one will run exactly like the other.
Agreed. You can have two cars with the same exact mods and one will always be faster than the other.

I would much rather have a tune based off what my car was doing than one that was key punched into a program to spit out PID values to match my mods.
Agreed.

A generic tune will be just that with settings within general area that will slightly gain performance. Typically adding timing/fuel etc. But these new cars are much more progressive and advanced than they used to be having to tune many more factors.

There are only a handful of tuners out there who really know how to tune these cars from scratch and aware of the "fix" for the number eight. That info originally came to a big name tuner from a friend of his who works at Ford making him privvy to the information that other tuners did not have access to explaining why two certain tuners were going faster than everyone else and the rest were blowing #8's.

Originally Posted by blownaltered View Post
In all honesty that is what most tuners do anyways. They do adjust different values when the car is on the dyno but most start by putting your mods in the system to get a baseline.
A majority of "tuners" don't really write tunes from scratch. They do a pull, then even out the graph adding timing/fuel here and there to make it a nice arc rather than looking like a pre-schooler who scribbled it.

A certain cheap ass mail order tuner just has files of cars with X mods, they drop that into a new customers file and adjust it from a "datalog". It's not a custom tune like they think, it's just a cheap, quickly adjusted previous file from another similarly modded car. It's the McDonalds of tuning. lol

There are a few good tuners out there who still write tunes from scratch adjusting every 100rpm rather than graph adjusters who do it every couple of thousand RPM's.

But they don't leave it at that. They fine tune.
Only a few really fine tune. Others don't take the time and just get them close and depend on the customers butt meter to make them happy. And they usually are because it is faster than what it was before, but is it optimal? Certainly not.

Originally Posted by JDMLOL View Post
I would think differences would be very minimal. Besides gear ratios, wheels, trans. Other than tolerances of the parts which I would hope are small, what else could change how the engine responds to a tune?
There are so many factors with these progressive computers it's ridiculous. Your line of thought would apply to the old carb'd days, but not now.

That would be something I wouldn't even try to answer. Because I'm not educated enough to answer it. That's just what I've been told by many people when I said the same thing that Alex said. Steve always made sure to correct me on that, so many he can be of more help to answering that question.
LOL, don't take it personally bro. We're all learning here together. I'm just obsessive about researching and learning this stuff. There is a lot of misinformation out there. We have so much access to information out there, but the problem is too many get their information 3rd and 4th hand and take it as gospel.

Read the tuning information out there available to you. Talk to tuners in person. Someone like Kevin is a vast source of information. I'm lucky to have him as a personal friend to learn from. I went to SEMA last year and talked to John Urist for a couple of hours. The level of information you can learn from these guys is astounding.

Originally Posted by JDMLOL View Post
Like Alex said. Every gt gets the same calibration from the factory. If undesirable results coming from generic tunes were that big of an issue they would all get custom tunes. I mean even carburetors had "factory" jet/screw settings for a particular engine. I wonder what Ford's defect rate with their tune is compared to __________ Performance shop's tune?
That is why the systems are constantly recalculating while you are driving and there is a fail safe mode. If it goes beyond the perimeters of the tune, it will shut itself down going into limp mode.

In the days of carb'd cars, they just detonated and ran like shit. lol

All I'm saying is that I would rather someone actually take the time to look at, and diagnose my datalogs to see if there are any issues.

Just because the suit fits you, doesn't mean it's the best fit.
Well said.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote