Thread: Z/28
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #55
Dominic Toretto

Originally Posted by saunupe1911 View Post
And I asked that question on MotorTrend. Who is the demographic? GM has never announced it. It's a tweener. There is no clear cut demographic. We can only go by performance spec and price point. Talk to a Porsche, M3, C63, Vette owner with magnetic shocks, or even an SL owner. Simple comfort like sound deadening means a lot to them. Remember that individuals that can afford a $60k car aren't young. They are older guys. A little comfort matters.
Interesting you bring that up. Being a Corvette owner for several years, I was disappointed that they had to cater to all the people whining about comfort this and seats that. Made the weight of the car increase, then people complained about the weight.

To me there are two different Corvette buyers. People that like to buy boutique cars, and actual car enthusiasts. Everyone that loved the performance, only complained about the seats. Everything else was neglible. But of course the enthusiasts will always be far outnumbered by the majority of people that simply buy/lease cars.

Oh and there were several threads started about young guys(25-40year olds) ordering C7s. So young people can absoutely afford a $60. Hell, there's a member of this board that posted about maybe buying a GTR which is a lot more expensive.

I think the way the market is shifting, is that across the board, people want cars to be more of a gadget to play with instead of drive. Performance is so close at the top echelon of cars, that the real differences come from brand loyalty or gimmicks. It's no secret that Chevrolet wanted the Corvette to appeal to a younger crowd and they achieved that with sacrificing performance. The C7 could have been faster but adding over 100lbs of crap most people won't use hurt what could have been.

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote