View Single Post
Old 11-07-2013, 01:25 PM   #44
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by BERT View Post
Don't think i'll ever say 42K for a used car is a good deal lol
Considering the performance of what the car is capable of and what they originally stickered for they are smoking deals. I guess it's hard to understand for the people who have never driven one, but once you have you will get it.

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto View Post
Check out the price of heads lol.

True.

But it's far less likely, no one forks out the money for a blower to intentionally find a bad tune. I am referring to how strong the motor is built from the factory. Very rarely, if ever, has a motor been built in NA form to handle boost. I believe S2000 have been built that way but, Honda of course has a rep to be reliable so that makes sense. You don't typically find NA performance cars that come with forged pistons, rods, crank, titanium valves etc. If you're going to boost it, you normally have to worry about the bottom end breaking so you have to spend an additional few grand to build it.

-Alex
Yeah, the parts prices on these cars are fucking absurd. The Coyote tax on parts seems VERY similar to that of the famous "vette tax" on parts. haha.

I disagree on your second part. I've had several boosted cars over the years and only one of them was "built" from the factory for it.

My 93 Cobra was a stock block car and made 540rw with a Vortech S-trim. Any foxbody guy will tell you that anything over 400rw on a fox is pushing the limits of the factory block to split it right down the main valley. I had the car like that over 5 years and was still running strong the day I sold it.

It's all in how you treat a car. Keep the tune on it good, maintain it properly with good/regular oil/plug changes, drive it like a sane person not beating on it on the rev-limiter at every opportunity and the car can live a long happy life beyond what conventional internet so sayers claim.

The problem these days lies in that its SO easy to make power. A simple pulley/tune change and it's easy power. Add to that the competition is so high out there these days it's crazy easy to get carried away to get caught up in the HP wars. Factory cars are faster than ever and it's super easy to make them even faster. The hardest part of the whole hobby is restraining oneself.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote