View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 05:04 AM   #47
03MachMe

Originally Posted by NAVAG View Post
The rice burners are way overpriced IMO. I'm finding way too many Civics, Corollas, Altimas, etc with 250+ miles on them going for more than $5K...Some even closer to 10. There is a high demand for DD that get good MPG so the sales market has been exploiting that for a couple of years. 36-40+ MPG is great but a car that gets >31 is good enough for me. The only reason I wouldn't buy a car that already has 200K miles on it is the fact that I plan on putting at least another 100K more within the next three years. And when you think about it, that Civic with 200,000 miles on it sitting out there was probably some other guys DD that probably crappped out on him so he traded it for another one. Now here it sits, fresh from auction, waiting for the next sucker.

If you want a good beater/work commuter car do some research and find some good cars that are not only reliable but get better than average highway miles.

Neon, Stratus, Cavalier, to name a few. I found a Cavalier with 85K miles on it that they are selling for $3K. If it is still on the lot next Friday I'll try to Jew them down to $2500. Sitting a few cars over is a beat up Civic with 186k miles on it that they want $7K for. I found another Cavalier with 135K miles on it that someone is asking $2K.

The only good thing about Honda's is that they are easy to work on and if you blow your 200,000+ mile engine you can get an replacement in the junk yard for a couple hundred bucks. If you get a Honda don't hesitate to replace the head gasket because that will probably be the first thing to go...

I'm looking at it as spending three grand on another mod for my 5.0...My DD Mod.
I am doing the same with our tax return. I have been mainly looking at a 2008ish Focus because, well its a Ford. I agree 100% on all the hondas and toyotas being over priced. another car with good milage that is pretty cheap for a newer car is a 2007+ Chevy Aveo. Can get the 4 door sedan and they dont look horrible and get 35 or so hwy MPG. can find them with less than 100k miles for under 5k.

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
386rwhp/383rwtq
03MachMe is offline   Reply With Quote