Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:18 AM   #76
DirtyD

Originally Posted by White_lightning View Post
i'll admit im a bench racer.. I analyze and analyze the data im provided.. It works for me... some other ppl dont care about the dyno at all and just go to the track Which is awesome too. I'm not a track person so it means nothing to me.

here are a few standard things i like with the dyno.

Pick a place. And dyno your car there every time. some dynos vary up to 10%.. so a mod that might gain you 20-30 hp might show NO effect at all moving dyno to dyno.
Stick to SAE.. Some shops put the output in STD to boost number and "make the customer fell happier"..

here is an example.. with headers/CAI/tune my car made 431/421 Uncorrected.. SAE was 435/425 and STD was 445/434... 9 rwhp isnt really that much of a difference.. but on that day the 2 correction factors were CLOSE since as you can see the uncorrected was almost the same as SAE.

with the first blower and stock motor.. Uncorrected was 760/645.. SAE was 779/662 and STD was 794/675.

Another thing that i like to do is get the dyno files. bring a little flash drive with and have them copy the files over for you. I have almost every single dyno i have done on my car and it is usefull when comparing one mod to another.

again.... i have been acused of being a bench racer and a sandbagger, but clearly my tools are working for me
See, I'm not the only one. I know I haven't been around to know enough, but I can still work with the info I'm provided to come to a logical conclusion.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #77
White_lightning

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
See, I'm not the only one. I know I haven't been around to know enough, but I can still work with the info I'm provided to come to a logical conclusion.
i like to compare the gearing to the powerband on the dyno to figure out where i need to shift.. i SUCK at the driving.. so i need to make sure i have as much information to help my decision on when to shift as possible lol
Old 06-07-2013, 09:49 AM   #78
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by White_lightning View Post
i like to compare the gearing to the powerband on the dyno to figure out where i need to shift.. i SUCK at the driving.. so i need to make sure i have as much information to help my decision on when to shift as possible lol
When it stops pulling....shift!
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #79
White_lightning

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
When it stops pulling....shift!
works great.. EXCEPT then the car right next to you is still pulling
Old 06-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #80
Oxford14Stang

Alright, correction won't be able to take it to the track today. North star drag way has no street three tonight.. will go another time tho

Oxford14Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #81
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Remember back in the day when we had to actually do it all ourselves without a dyno and no one knew how much power they had?

A fuel pressure gauge, a timing light and a screwdriver is how it was done. lol
Old 06-07-2013, 11:16 AM   #82
Luke

Remember back in the day when we had to actually do it all ourselves without a dyno and no one knew how much power they had?

A fuel pressure gauge, a timing light and a screwdriver is how it was done. lol
Whoa, dare I say it... a carburetor?
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:10 PM   #83
Rebelracer568

Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Carbs are still fun. All my muscle cars and most races cars are all carb.
Rebelracer568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:26 PM   #84
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Haha. That too. I remember tuning my very first blower car. Rolling down the road with a buddy holding a boost gauge and a fuel pressure gauge in his hands with hoses running from under the hood, through the window while he watched them while I made pulls going down the road. I'd pull over, make adjustments to the timing and regulator and do more pulls until it stopped pickin up power. lol

Most of these young kids now don't know how to do squat to their own cars anymore that doesn't involve plastidip or switching a plastic bodypiece. lol.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #85
DirtyD

Default dynoing the car today

Haha. That too. I remember tuning my very first blower car. Rolling down the road with a buddy holding a boost gauge and a fuel pressure gauge in his hands with hoses running from under the hood, through the window while he watched them while I made pulls going down the road. I'd pull over, make adjustments to the timing and regulator and do more pulls until it stopped pickin up power. lol

Most of these young kids now don't know how to do squat to their own cars anymore that doesn't involve plastidip or switching a plastic bodypiece. lol.
I'd like to learn how. My dad misses those days. We have tried multiple times to pick up a small project car, but with the distance between both of us right now, working on it alone for him wouldn't be as fun. He'd still enjoy it, but he knows I'd like to learn what he knew.

He could change the clutch in his old '69 Apache Chevy in about 45 mins while parked over a ditch. Haha
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:50 PM   #86
Luke

Old 06-07-2013, 01:04 PM   #87
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
I'd like to learn how. My dad misses those days. We have tried multiple times to pick up a small project car, but with the distance between both of us right now, working on it alone for him wouldn't be as fun. He'd still enjoy it, but he knows I'd like to learn what he knew.

He could change the clutch in his old '69 Apache Chevy in about 45 mins while parked over a ditch. Haha
Working on old iron is fun and a easy way to learn. You can learn the basics pretty easily putting stuff together and taking it apart. I'd suggest something like a aircooled VW. Simple, cheap, easy to work on and hard as hell to screw up. Parts are still plentiful engine wise.

There are a few rare young guys who have a ton of knowledge about old iron, like Danny (46tbird). That guy is wicked smart and really knows his stuff. If you can get passed is wannabe asshole persona, he's someone you can get a lot of great info from.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #88
Luke

Most of my carb dealings are with my lawn mower now, fuck that leaky piece of shit!
Old 06-07-2013, 02:14 PM   #89
re-rx7
Banned

So true. When I was 10 I rebuilt a old Holly Carb because my dad told me I needed to learn.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #90
Rebelracer568

I built all my motors in my races cars and muscle cars. The 14 is the only car that hasn't gotten a built motor......yet. I'm one or the few young guys that grew up racing and buildings own cars. My dad said as I was growing up if I didn't wanna learn how to work on my cars he wouldn't teach. So I learned everything I can from him. Ill take a carb of fuel injection any day. Least I don't have to have a phd to figure out why my car not running right lol.
Rebelracer568 is offline   Reply With Quote