Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Performance

Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 09-05-2012, 08:08 PM   #1
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

Default I'm bored so I might go ahead and buy some......**Attention TrueStreet**.

Comp cams stage 3 cams for my car. I don't know why but I got the recent 5.0 or muscle mustang magazine and they did that cam swap and with basic bolt on and with the cams it made 477 rwhp. So if it can pick up 50 rwhp for me that would be pretty good for 1400 bucks.
I agree. A stick car shocks the tires MUCH harder and does it several times going down the track. With a big power stick car, the car is much more unsettled going down the track making it more of a challenge to ET well. A well running auto car is nothing more than just point and shoot. Which is great for a track car taking a lot of driver error out of the equation.

Last edited by BLK2012GT; 09-05-2012 at 08:18 PM.
BLK2012GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Is that 1400 total? Or is that 1400 plus labor?
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #3
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Is that 1400 total? Or is that 1400 plus labor?
1400 plus labor. But picking up 50 rwhp N/A I think it's worth it. Maybe more when I use the nitrous.
I agree. A stick car shocks the tires MUCH harder and does it several times going down the track. With a big power stick car, the car is much more unsettled going down the track making it more of a challenge to ET well. A well running auto car is nothing more than just point and shoot. Which is great for a track car taking a lot of driver error out of the equation.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #4
Grandpa
I> /\/\

477rw on motor is stout. You need h/c/i and a blower to make that kinda power with a Foxbody. I could deal with that kinda power N/A. I bet the install with by pricey though.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

Isn't that the reason why we have TrueStreet on here. To hook a nucca up. lol
Old 09-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by BLK2012GT View Post
Isn't that the reason why we have TrueStreet on here. To hook a nucca up. lol
Yes sir. After you do that, I bet the most common question you get from people will be "is that a Lund lope tune?" haha.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:21 PM   #7
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Yes sir. After you do that, I bet the most common question you get from people will be "is that a Lund lope tune?" haha.
If it actually does have a lope to it. Most new 5.0's with aftermarket cams in it doesn't have a lope.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #8
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

I see Clint is online, maybe he can PM a quote for the cams swap. Hint hint nudge nudge
Old 09-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #9
downtime!

The cams only contributed 58 hp to the deal (419 before cams, 477 after). The price almost doubled with labor at GH. The return isn't nearly worth almost $3000. That's the better part of a Procharger and the returns for the blower are a good bit more than 58 hp.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #10
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by BLK2012GT View Post
If it actually does have a lope to it. Most new 5.0's with aftermarket cams in it doesn't have a lope.
That would be cool if it idled smooth like stock. Very stealth!
Old 09-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #11
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

Originally Posted by downtime! View Post
The cams only contributed 58 hp to the deal (419 before cams, 477 after). The price almost doubled with labor at GH. The return isn't nearly worth almost $3000. That's the better part of a Procharger and the returns for the blower are a good bit more than 58 hp.
That's GH man. Maybe Truestreet can offer something better. You never know.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #12
Grandpa
I> /\/\

That's what I was thinking. If the labor was cheap enough, it might be worth it. Otherwise a blower is the best bang for the buck.

As previously stated, Truestreet did a car with only an axleback and a Kennebell blower and made 608rw. Stock midpipe, headers, intake etc. That is tough to beat.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #13
downtime!

Y'all obviously never changed cams on a 4 valve mod motor! LOL! They might do it cheaper, but it won't be cheap to be sure. It's a lot of work. And yes, you will be able to tell it has cams. Stage 2 is obvious, Stage 3 is even more so.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #14
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

Y'all obviously never changed cams on a 4 valve mod motor! LOL! They might do it cheaper, but it won't be cheap to be sure. It's a lot of work. And yes, you will be able to tell it has cams. Stage 2 is obvious, Stage 3 is even more so.
I haven't heard any new 5.0's with comp cams just some custom grind ones.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:56 PM   #15
Toby

Let me get with Tim tomorrow and we will get you a price. Have not done cams on a new 5.0 yet, but yes it is a very very extensive install on these cars to be done properly. I would HIGHLY recommend doing the billet oil pump gears while in there. One will already have the chains off, entire front engine apart etc. Only a couple more hours labor to properly install the billet gears. Look for a pm tomorrow before the end of the day, we are in the process of switching phones, internet etc at the shop over to the new building so might not be till the end of the day.
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote