Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > DFW 5.0 Mustang Club > Site News

Site News Here you will find news or updates to DFW50s.com!

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 05-18-2016, 04:29 PM   #1
Robby

Default 89 GT vert looking for mechanic

My first post on any mustang forum Cherry finally popped!
I bought it a little over a year ago and it's in good shape. I'm super interested in putting a top end kit on her. Probably will be trickflow track heat, but still undecided. Anyway, prior to doing so, is there anything that should be checked before doing a top end kit? Also, I'm in Frisco and wanted to see if anyone out there is doing mechanic work on the side and looking for some extra loot that can do the work??? If not, do you know any local shops that can do the work?
Robby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 05:45 AM   #2
NAVAG

Originally Posted by Robby View Post
My first post on any mustang forum Cherry finally popped!
I bought it a little over a year ago and it's in good shape. I'm super interested in putting a top end kit on her. Probably will be trickflow track heat, but still undecided. Anyway, prior to doing so, is there anything that should be checked before doing a top end kit? Also, I'm in Frisco and wanted to see if anyone out there is doing mechanic work on the side and looking for some extra loot that can do the work??? If not, do you know any local shops that can do the work?
One of my first mustangs was an 89. Loved that car. I'm pretty far from Frisco and not sure if I have all the proper tools for the job anyway. Haven't worked on one of those engines in a while. But the top end of a push rod engine is pretty straight forward. Probably find some good resources on the web. A couple of buddies and a case of coldies will get it done
1989 GRAY/SILVER AUTO GT
1988 RED GT
1989 WHITE LX 5.0 HATCH
NAVAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 02:04 PM   #3
Robby

NAVAG - appreciate the response. I'm searching, but if you know anyone local please let me know. I actually lucked out with this car. The gentleman I bought it from had it for 15 years and only drove it once or so a month. Or at least that's what I was told. Just starting to dig into it and would like to change some things out.

Since you're familiar with the engine etc. any recommendations on where to start? I called a shop yesterday and was told I should do a compression test before doing the top end kit. Does this ound right?
Old 05-19-2016, 09:36 PM   #4
wayne fontenot

Pm sent. I have had 9 foxes over the years and have tried several different combos. I can give a little advise if wanted
wayne fontenot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:05 AM   #5
NAVAG

EFI can be tricky. Make sure the electrical is sound even though the car was well maintained it is nearly 30 years old. One little bug in a sensor or bad wire and you can be chasing phantom problems all over. I've had three foxes back in the 90's. There are so many more options now compared to back then...plus I'm not a broke 20-something anymore! Only problem is my wife hates them. Every time I think out loud about buying another fox she gets pissed. Guess I'm crazy - I think they are sexy as hell.
1989 GRAY/SILVER AUTO GT
1988 RED GT
1989 WHITE LX 5.0 HATCH
Old 05-20-2016, 07:07 AM   #6
NAVAG

Pics or gtfo!
1989 GRAY/SILVER AUTO GT
1988 RED GT
1989 WHITE LX 5.0 HATCH
Old 05-20-2016, 07:41 AM   #7
Robby

I actually got in touch with someone from a local speed shop that will do the work on the side. Feel like I hit the lottery! Probably will go with trickflow street heat top end kit and in about a year but a supercharger on it
Old 05-20-2016, 09:39 AM   #8
wayne fontenot

Good to hear. My favorite combo was on an 90 lc hatch. Twisted wedge heads f cam gt40 intake and a vortech t trim. Loved that car
Old 05-20-2016, 01:53 PM   #9
Robby

Sounds like a bad car. Do you know of any get togethers for politicking?
Old 05-20-2016, 03:11 PM   #10
wayne fontenot

I'm in Denton. There are a couple they do here on week nights. I'm old lol. I don't get out much