Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 09-22-2014, 12:49 PM   #1
Brad

Default Best bang for the buck mustang?

My brother is in the market for his first mustang. I bought my fox body about a year ago and dont get me wrong i love it but it does leave alot to be desired. Anyway I have been looking around for used mustangs and the price of the sn95 is cheaper than a fox ( 87-93) and the new edge mustangs are pretty cheap as well. My question is whats the best bang for the buck used mustang between the three gt models for a street car? He is also looking at a 98 Cobra, and he has about $9,000 to spend. So which would you buy and why?
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:00 PM   #2
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by Brad View Post
My brother is in the market for his first mustang. I bought my fox body about a year ago and dont get me wrong i love it but it does leave alot to be desired. Anyway I have been looking around for used mustangs and the price of the sn95 is cheaper than a fox ( 87-93) and the new edge mustangs are pretty cheap as well. My question is whats the best bang for the buck used mustang between the three gt models for a street car? He is also looking at a 98 Cobra, and he has about $9,000 to spend. So which would you buy and why?
The fox, SN95 and new edge Mustangs are all pretty much the same car. They share the same chassis design that dates back to 1975. The 98 Cobra shares the same chassis still, but has a modular motor. Other than that, they are pretty much all the same. Pushrod parts are going to be cheaper.

I'd just say he should just buy whatever he likes and roll with it.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:14 PM   #3
downtime!

Tell him to double that $9k and I'll sell him my '12.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:59 PM   #4
Brad

hell if i could afford a new 5.0 Id buy one lol, but he has what he has, Im pretty sure he wants a either a windsor 5.0 or a two valve 4.6 .
Old 09-24-2014, 08:47 PM   #5
downtime!

The later model car he buys, the better it will feel, and the better it will make a decent daily. I loved my '03 GT (so much so, I've had a few of them). Getting hard to find one with decent mileage now, or that hasn't been hacked up by. They're out there though.

Here's my old Sonic Blue with the Procharger -

Old 09-24-2014, 10:04 PM   #6
Brad

Sweet looking ride. Did the computer in your car respond well to mods, Or did you have to get a new tune every time you added a bolt on? I know after a h/c/i or a blower you mus get a tune but what about tb, cai, maf, headers ect?
Old 09-25-2014, 12:55 PM   #7
downtime!

Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Sweet looking ride. Did the computer in your car respond well to mods, Or did you have to get a new tune every time you added a bolt on? I know after a h/c/i or a blower you mus get a tune but what about tb, cai, maf, headers ect?
That was an all in one build, from stock to blown all in one move. My other '03 was just a bolt on car, and like any other car, when the mods are big enough you have to retune. Long tubes and an x pipe were about the only mods we didn't have to retune for on that car.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:09 PM   #8
Brad

Thanks for the info bro! I apreciate it.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:52 PM   #9
Stangmaster281

Like downtime said you don't need a tune to run bolt ons on the 2v cars. Of course the bolt ons will benefit more from a tune. I have a cold air intake and my car runs fine. From my understanding running long tubes and an o/r x without a tune won't hurt either.