Foxbody 5.0s For the original 5.0s that started it all

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #1
blownaltered
I have a small penis

Default Trying to decide on future motor build

Alright this isn't anything I'm doing right now but once I make my decision I will start piecing it together. I plan on staying supercharged since my head unit will go as far as I ever plan on taking it. So here is what I'm trying to decide on.

Do I want to stay 302 based since all my accessories will work with it. Go with a 331 or 363 port my heads, intake and raise the boost a little.

Or

Go 351 based with either a 408 or a 427. In this case I would need different heads, intake, headers but I would make more power on less boost and more torque. I can always sell my old setup to make up for the cost of the new heads and intake.

Opinions are welcome. I'm just undecided and keep going back and forth on this. I want to start buying parts here in the next couple months. It will not be a fast build since I'm in no big hurry.
blownaltered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #2
downtime!

Boost technology has come to a point where the big inch Windsors aren't really needed, unless you're looking for the baddest of the bad. My favorite combo has always been the 331 (more favorable rod angle), and built right, with a little boost, would be all I would ever need in a lightweight Fox.

And on that note, I need a Fox I can modify, damn it! I love my '82, but it's entirely too original to start cutting up.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:05 PM   #3
Toby

I would go the 351 route since the factory block is stronger. Assuming you are not going to buy a dart block. But if you are then hands down go with a 347 ci 3.25 stroke 4.125 bore.
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 12:03 AM   #4
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Dart blocked 363 with a Brooks kit. If you're going to do it, go big.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
blownaltered
I have a small penis

Originally Posted by Toby View Post
I would go the 351 route since the factory block is stronger. Assuming you are not going to buy a dart block. But if you are then hands down go with a 347 ci 3.25 stroke 4.125 bore.
I wouldn't build either without a Dart block, I'm not dropping the coin on a forged internals without a strong block. Don't want to have to do it again later if I turn it up.

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT View Post
I have been thinking about that as well. But I already have a good blower. Might build it and run the supercharger for a while then drop the coin on a nice single setup.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #6
Toby

Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #7
blownaltered
I have a small penis

Originally Posted by Toby View Post
I wish I just know what I want. This is something I am going to start piecing together over a year or two honestly. I just want to figure out exactly what I'm doing and then I will start buying parts. The biggest expense is going to be the block. Some things I will find used like a bigger intake and bigger heads. Once I do the build I will sell all my old stuff to recover some of the money.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
Junkie

Is he using a factory 302 block, R block, Dart block?

If you already have a good aftermarket or R block, then its hard to justify the swap to a 351 based motor. If starting from scratch there is ZERO reason other than class racing to stay 302 based.

If you have a good block, I vote 363 with an 88mm minimum.

If you go 351 I vote 427+ci with twin billet 76's

Orrrrrrrr ERL 427, LS based, twin 7675s
Old 07-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #9
blownaltered
I have a small penis

Originally Posted by Junkie View Post
Is he using a factory 302 block, R block, Dart block?

If you already have a good aftermarket or R block, then its hard to justify the swap to a 351 based motor. If starting from scratch there is ZERO reason other than class racing to stay 302 based.

If you have a good block, I vote 363 with an 88mm minimum.

If you go 351 I vote 427+ci with twin billet 76's

Don't currently have a dart block, that's why I'm having the debate. I am starting from scratch.
Old 07-12-2013, 05:32 PM   #10
Junkie

Originally Posted by blownaltered View Post
Don't currently have a dart block, that's why I'm having the debate. I am starting from scratch.
Then go 351 based without a doubt
Old 07-12-2013, 06:16 PM   #11
Grandpa
I> /\/\

I'm all about that. I think that would be SICK!
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #12
blownaltered
I have a small penis

I'm all about that. I think that would be SICK!
I'm sticking with a ford motor. Not jumping ship, it's not that I don't like ls motors I just want it to be a ford.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:40 PM   #13
STROKD
Old School

Originally Posted by blownaltered View Post
I'm sticking with a ford motor. Not jumping ship, it's not that I don't like ls motors I just want it to be a ford.
Good man. One of the fastest cars in Dallas has a little Ford motor in it, so don't be worried.

I'd do a 427-454 stroker 9.5 decked Dart. You will want new heads and intake manifold with any sized motor you go with.

FYI, besides the headers/and a/c bracket (you already have a cowl hood), its $100 bucks more to build a 9.5 vs a 8.2 (what my dad was quoted)... All things equal is about 80-100rw difference. (454 vs 363 for instance), not to mention the monster torque differences.
Old 07-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #14
Junkie

Originally Posted by STROKD View Post
Good man. One of the fastest cars in Dallas has a little Ford motor in it, so don't be worried.

I'd do a 427-454 stroker 9.5 decked Dart. You will want new heads and intake manifold with any sized motor you go with.

FYI, besides the headers/and a/c bracket (you already have a cowl hood), its $100 bucks more to build a 9.5 vs a 8.2 (what my dad was quoted)... All things equal is about 80-100rw difference. (454 vs 363 for instance), not to mention the monster torque differences.
Who are you referring to? Also we both know building new, a SBF is 2x if not more then a chevy....
Old 07-12-2013, 09:36 PM   #15
blownaltered
I have a small penis

Who are you referring to? Also we both know building new, a SBF is 2x if not more then a chevy....
He was talking to me. I know Chevy motors are cheaper to build but that's not what I want. I've built a blown 408 in a sportsman block years ago so I know they can be expensive but it the way I'm going. Also why I'm taking my time. My wife is going back to school so I can't just fork over the money at one time like I would like to. I'm going to get a plan figured out and start buying parts. That way when I get all the parts I can get it started