Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Performance

Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #16
TrueStreetTim
DFW5.0s Preferred Vendor

If you end up looking to replace the CAI, I still love the K&N piece myself and perhaps this will help (if you haven't checked it out already) http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php...ight=throwdown

As you said "they do their homework" and are a solid company with stellar customer service.
TrueStreetTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #17
ochoblanco

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
I would love to do that, but I would have to get a decent deal on some dyno time at a shop to do so, that way I would have time to swap intakes and tunes between each run. A dyno day is too fast paced to do that.

Also, I'm an engineer. Over thinking is under thinking. Haha
HAHA...I know many engineers...I did this on my 07 back in the day pre cam and boost. Swapped between the C&N, stock and JLT III on 3 separate runs. At least with my aftermarket tune at the time I could see the gains from both open element CAI's.

Chad
2012 PW Boss 302 #2550 - Current
2003 DSG Terminator #1410 - SOLD
2000 Black Lightning #4278 - SOLD
2007 RFP Mustang GT (Cammed/Procharged) - DEAD
ochoblanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #18
DirtyD

Originally Posted by Dan12GT View Post
This is why I love my Airaid. I can go either way with it. I have the "no tune" model but its the same thing as the "tune required". I just have to take out the insert when I tune.
I am liking the Airraid too, but it appears that every one that comes up on the market used is gone instantly...
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:56 AM   #19
Dan12GT

Manny from HPP had me convinced Airaid makes good stuff so I opting ally went with it as my first mod. I'm sure with the tune it will really wake up but I think I can attribute it to some of the power gains I've made since stock

Airaid CAI | Borla S-Type Catback | Amsoil 10w30 and MTG Trans. Fluid
382hp 387ft/lb | 1/4: 12.9 @ 112mph
Dan12GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #20
DirtyD

Originally Posted by TrueStreetTim View Post
If you end up looking to replace the CAI, I still love the K&N piece myself and perhaps this will help (if you haven't checked it out already) http://www.dfw50s.com/showthread.php...ight=throwdown

As you said "they do their homework" and are a solid company with stellar customer service.
Thanks, Tim. I remember reading through that, but I would be interested really in seeing it all first hand.

It appears that the metal K&N intake doesn't have the neck down like the one I posted, and currently have installed. I don't know if that is a bigger tube or not either, so I'm curious to know if that one may actually be better...

I did find an AEM intake on Craigslist for $100. It does retain the closed element aspect, but I think I really would benefit more from a larger tube diameter, which I don't think the AEM would give me.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #21
TrueStreetTim
DFW5.0s Preferred Vendor

I like the Airaid products and I actually dig that AEM piece too!

That is definitely and odd restriction on your K&N. Like you said though...it's due to being a NTR item. All of the K&N's I've sold have not had that bottleneck.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:09 PM   #22
DirtyD

Originally Posted by TrueStreetTim View Post
I like the Airaid products and I actually dig that AEM piece too!

That is definitely and odd restriction on your K&N. Like you said though...it's due to being a NTR item. All of the K&N's I've sold have not had that bottleneck.
Have you sold the ones that are the metal style intake tube?

How much would it be to get y'all to possibly make me a custom tube to fit this intake and powdercoat it?
Old 08-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #23
TrueStreetTim
DFW5.0s Preferred Vendor

I haven't sold the metal version of the K&N to a 5.0, no. I have to some Camaro's though.

Our tube is 4" throughout so that you get every bit of flow out of the stock TB while keeping it future proofed should you upgrade the TB.

....PM sent.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #24
El_Tortuga

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
First, I don't want this to turn into the classic debate thread about whether or not a CAI is worth it. Please don't post smart responses about it if that's all you are going to contribute.

Some backstory:
I purchased a K&N 63 series intake back in January. I had a K&N intake on my old F150 that seemed to be a decent pickup over the stock intake on the V6 it had. I figured that since K&N tends to do their homework, this CAI should be a decent upgrade over the stock box (yes I konw the stock box is a great design too).

With that being said, I installed the intake and have been enjoying it. I picked up a tune from the guys over at JPC Racing while using this intake, and the tune definitely helped. However I was a little niave about the intake until the other day. I noticed that at the area around the MAF necks down from the rest of the tube diameter as shown in the picture below. This really disappointed me, as I now understood why this was a "tune free" CAI.

Last night I Oxford14Stang (Jay/Jalal), who basically has the same mods (2013, 3.55s, Magnaflow Competition ABs, Steeda 101mm CAI, Bama tune, 235/50/18 stock wheels) as my car (2013, 3.55s, K&N CAI, GT500 ABs, JPC tune, 255/40/19 & 275/40/19 Brembos). He took almost every race by about 1/2-3/4 of a car over me, and was shift a little sooner than I was.

I have complete confidence in my JPC tune over the Bama tune, so it came down to the intake basically. I have the feeling that the fact this is a "tune free" CAI is really hurting the potential of the car, even though it has been tuned for this intake. I can now see why not many people are running it.

So...with all of that now said, I want to ask opinions, from my fellow '11-'14 owners, as well as any of the tuning gurus here, what your opinions are on where to proceed from here.

I have contemplated going back to the stock box, either temporarily, or permanently (until I go PD blower in the future). I am also thinking of getting a better, "tune required" CAI such as Steeda, JLT, etc. I know those CAIs perform. However, I have reserves about the open air filters in these cars:

1) We know about this Texas summer heat...
2) combine that with an open element filter under the closed hood of a engine running around 180°-200° WITHOUT the aid of the ambient air temp of 100°+, IATs are a nightmare in slow moving traffic.
3) I trimmed my hood carpet around the vents, and don't want to worry about problems with water leaking onto the filter through the hood vents.

I wouldn't mind getting an open element CAI as long as I could gaurantee the filter is completely, or almost completely, sealed from the heat of the engine bay, still utilizes the ram air inlet from the grill, and I can find a way to prevent possible water damage...

What do you guys think I should do as far as where to go from here?
Not a big difference, but if I'm doing my math right, 235/50/18s are about 27.25" OD, and 275/40/19s are about 27.7" OD. You've got a little taller tire = slightly taller gearing.

Now if I'm the other guy, I'm claiming better driving.
El_Tortuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #25
DirtyD

Originally Posted by El_Tortuga View Post
Not a big difference, but if I'm doing my math right, 235/50/18s are about 27.25" OD, and 275/40/19s are about 27.7" OD. You've got a little taller tire = slightly taller gearing.

Now if I'm the other guy, I'm claiming better driving.
Correct. But even then the difference in tire height only makes a 100-200 RPM difference at the top of the gears, which is very small, but maybe just small enough to shift earlier for Jay. Not to mention heavier wheels on my end, so I think his car could just rev up slightly quicker than mine.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #26
Pepperinyoureye

Also will agree that I think you're over thinking it all lol. That being said I had the same K&N intake initially and switched to Air Raid and I'm loving it. I think this race was a matter of tire size and driving. Unless that Bama tune is putting down a little more which is a definite possibility (I put down 402 wheel with Bama tune and intake on a hot ass day)
Pepperinyoureye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 07:04 PM   #27
Pepperinyoureye

Try stock box with a K&N drop in for a while
Old 08-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #28
Zeek

My steeda intake and off road X I was at 410 with the Bama tune. I never had a problem with the "terrible" bama tunes.
Zeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #29
Pepperinyoureye

Originally Posted by Zeek View Post
My steeda intake and off road X I was at 410 with the Bama tune. I never had a problem with the "terrible" bama tunes.
Truth
Old 08-09-2013, 09:04 AM   #30
DirtyD

Well I think it may be a combination of the K&N intake and also my tune I think it too low on timing and/or pulling timing up top. I'm going to see if I can get a couple of second opinions on the latter if I can find a laptop to datalog with this weekend.

I'm reinstalling the stock box Sunday night, so hopefully my tune for the K&N isn't too far off...