Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Suspension

Suspension Post up questions about your Mustang's suspension or ride quality

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:59 PM   #1
FreddieG

Default Spring/Suspension Question

Has anyone used the H&R OE Sport Springs? If so what are everyones thoughts? I'm looking for a real mild drop to go with the Koni Str. I currently have the 55D springs but haven't install them yet however I feel I need a little more in the back and a little more up front. Any suggestions. Also I'm not to familar on how to do the install and don't really have any good tools. Would there be anyone you guys would suggest having the work done or any other options? I can always buy some beer..lol
FreddieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:08 AM   #2
DirtyD

Default Spring/Suspension Question

Look into the Ford Racing P springs. They are made by Eibach and should give you the drop you are looking for (around 1" up front, 1-1.25" in the rear)

The rear shocks aren't a big deal to take out. The front struts can be done in a driveway, but it will consume a little more time. The rear springs are cake as long as you have a way to lower the axle to sag the suspension enough so they can just fall out pretty much. Haha
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:00 AM   #3
Luke

You can rent spring compressors from a parts store and a good electric impact will save you quite a bit of time. Of all my tools, that impact is by far my most used.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:32 AM   #4
jayman33

The H&R OE springs are pretty decent but they still drop more than advertised. Take a look at the hotchkis sports, the spring rates are 185 front and 155-185 progressive rears and are very nice to ride on. Here is a picture of the Hotchkis/ koni yellow setup on our 13 Boss.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130131_154247.jpg (96.5 KB, 19 views)

www.hypermotiveperformance.com
734-306-5231
jayman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
JDBishopArts

I have the H&R Race springs. I didn't want just a "drop spring". I wanted it to add some performance also. One of the other things I like about the race springs is that it levels the car out. I'd recommend jayman for any of the parts you buy. You can do the install yourself or with some buddies. Here is a photo of my set up.

JDBishopArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
FreddieG

Thanks for the suggestions. So many options on springs. I have 275/40/19 with the rtrs and stick out slightly so I dont want to go to low. I also don't have a whole lot front gap cause of the tire size. Will the struts with factory springs lower it any?
Old 03-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
Courtesy Flush

Originally Posted by FreddieG View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. So many options on springs. I have 275/40/19 with the rtrs and stick out slightly so I dont want to go to low. I also don't have a whole lot front gap cause of the tire size. Will the struts with factory springs lower it any?
Negative.
Struts and shocks will just adjust dampening and ride quality.
You will need a spring if you want height adjustment.

I run the K springs with a 275/40. They're not too bad. The rear springs could be stiffer IMO, but for daily and occasional track duty they get the job done as advertised.
Courtesy Flush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:59 PM   #8
FreddieG

Thanks!! Who around DFW would everyone recommend to do the work and what to expect on cost?
Old 03-17-2013, 05:06 AM   #9
pohnjarker

Originally Posted by FreddieG View Post
Thanks!! Who around DFW would everyone recommend to do the work and what to expect on cost?
id atleast do the rears myself, the springs drop right out if you let the rear end sag enough and the shocks unbolt and bolt back in.

the fronts require a little more time/work but some its invaluable if you can get with a couple guys on here that have done it and it should only cost a case or two of beer.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
03MachMe

Default Re: Spring/Suspension Question

Originally Posted by pohnjarker View Post
id atleast do the rears myself, the springs drop right out if you let the rear end sag enough and the shocks unbolt and bolt back in.

the fronts require a little more time/work but some its invaluable if you can get with a couple guys on here that have done it and it should only cost a case or two of beer.
Yea just find one of us. I did mine and Josh 's in my garage. Super easy

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
386rwhp/383rwtq
03MachMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #11
Dan12GT

Easy install indeed. Just make sure you have something to spin off the front struck mount nuts. Its a large nut 22-23mm if I am not mistaken. Can be easily spun on and off with an impact. If you don't have that available you can do it easily with a 90 degree angle box wrench and another wrench for tightening on the stut post. Also anytime you mess with the front suspension like that you WILL need an alignment after. Don't hesitate with an alignment, your tires will thank you for that Just have the right tools ready to go before you start, that or have someone who does.

Airaid CAI | Borla S-Type Catback | Amsoil 10w30 and MTG Trans. Fluid
382hp 387ft/lb | 1/4: 12.9 @ 112mph
Dan12GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:51 PM   #12
FreddieG

Thanks for advice guys...still thinking about wheter to tackle it.