Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > Photos & Videos > Member's Rides

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 06-26-2014, 03:20 PM   #76
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
Are we talking the actual block or the internals? The internals are the weak spot that I have seen.
Both are weak really. Well, I mean that relatively. Don't get me wrong, it's a great high winding lil motor. I just mean that it's not the best choice if you're wanting to make big power. If you're happy with 550rw or less for a toy, then a stock motor'd 5.0 is fine. But, if you're wanting to go fast, a motor build is in your future with a sleeved block at the minimum. Hopefully at some point someone makes an aftermarket block that is able to handle big power because what is out there now is still breaking the same way factory blocks are.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 03:39 PM   #77
DirtyD

Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
Both are weak really. Well, I mean that relatively. Don't get me wrong, it's a great high winding lil motor. I just mean that it's not the best choice if you're wanting to make big power. If you're happy with 550rw or less for a toy, then a stock motor'd 5.0 is fine. But, if you're wanting to go fast, a motor build is in your future with a sleeved block at the minimum. Hopefully at some point someone makes an aftermarket block that is able to handle big power because what is out there now is still breaking the same way factory blocks are.
I guess I haven't really seen to block failures, just when people throw a rod, melt or shatter a piston. I completely agree with it eventually being on borrowed time, but I guess it seems you are exaggerating (from my view point) that time period to be rather quick, when in fact people have been running those high horsepower (500-600) applications for years now. VMP with their Boss, for example. 7xx whp and it's been through multiple track days in Texas and Florida heat.

I know the only true aftermarket option out there for a "high" power motor is MMR's Promod block, of which some people are still skeptical of their stuff sometimes. But it's been filled, sleeved, and decked completely, so I'd hope it holds. lol
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 04:08 PM   #78
Grandpa
I> /\/\

I guess I haven't really seen to block failures, just when people throw a rod, melt or shatter a piston. I completely agree with it eventually being on borrowed time, but I guess it seems you are exaggerating (from my view point) that time period to be rather quick, when in fact people have been running those high horsepower (500-600) applications for years now. VMP with their Boss, for example. 7xx whp and it's been through multiple track days in Texas and Florida heat.

I know the only true aftermarket option out there for a "high" power motor is MMR's Promod block, of which some people are still skeptical of their stuff sometimes. But it's been filled, sleeved, and decked completely, so I'd hope it holds. lol
I'm not exaggerating. I guess in your world, if you don't see it, it doesn't happen? I've seen several failures, but then again I'm around a lot of cars making real power and you're not.

Your viewpoint comes from a slow stock car, you don't race, never had a fast car and take everything you read online as facts. Before you do your usual kneejerk sensitive reaction, that's not a dig at you, just the facts. Get out and do some racing, you will see the failures happening. Most people only post the positives online to brag, but the failures rarely make it because of all the bashing that takes place. Failures happen, it's part of racing. Not a big deal.

Again, just because a car "can" make 600-700rw, doesn't mean it's going to last. Any Coyote out there making 550rw+, especially in power adder applications, are on borrowed time. Hell, that's normal tactic of some companies out there - turn it up for one Hail Mary dyno pull, make a number, inflate and tell everyone some stupid outrageous claim. "1000hp on stock motor!!" LOL, I'm sure it did...but not very many times and/or very long. hahaha.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:13 PM   #79
DirtyD

Default Crimson's 2013 Boy Racer GT

I'm just speaking from what I've been able to gather online with forums and through other individuals. SVTP has quite a few blown motors posted there, but majority of those are always internal failures and not the block, at least the ones I have seen. You are right that you have probably seen more than I have. But I didn't say that they don't exist because I haven't seen any. Just saying I haven't seen any.

However, I disagree with the statement I take everything online as facts. I just restate what I have read and gathered online myself and what others have told me. If it's wrong, it's wrong. Someone will correct me and I will learn something new.

If I took everything online as facts, my car would have 12 electric turbochargers in my intake along with 6 stacked switch chips from Jet and a throttle body spacer.
Old 06-26-2014, 05:40 PM   #80
Grandpa
I> /\/\

If I took everything online as facts, my car would have 12 electric turbochargers in my intake along with 6 stacked switch chips from Jet and a throttle body spacer.
Ain't that the damn truth!
Old 06-26-2014, 06:04 PM   #81
DirtyD

You should see the crap young kids put on the truck pages about that stuff...I seriously want to murder them
Old 06-26-2014, 06:38 PM   #82
Grandpa
I> /\/\

You should see the crap young kids put on the truck pages about that stuff...I seriously want to murder them
LOL, now you know how I feel.
Old 06-26-2014, 07:29 PM   #83
El_Tortuga

Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
Again, just because a car "can" make 600-700rw, doesn't mean it's going to last. Any Coyote out there making 550rw+, especially in power adder applications, are on borrowed time. Hell, that's normal tactic of some companies out there - turn it up for one Hail Mary dyno pull, make a number, inflate and tell everyone some stupid outrageous claim. "1000hp on stock motor!!" LOL, I'm sure it did...but not very many times and/or very long. hahaha.
Sounds like the Ford guys quotes when the GT 500 came out. Something to the effect that making the power is easy, making it last is hard.
2014 GT Track Pack (300A) Black/Black, Recaros, Eibach Pro-kit, Koni adj (yellows), MM camber plates, Whiteline PHB & bracket, Whiteline adj rear sway,Hawk HP+, J+M SS lines,FRPP brake ducts, GT500 AB, 275/35/18 BFG Rivals on 18x10x43 D-force LTWs, Tint and blackout.
El_Tortuga is offline   Reply With Quote