Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Performance

Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 07-11-2013, 02:16 AM   #1
Dubnium

Default weird clutch issue

Clutch pedal got stock half way coming up and just didn't want to pop up until I kept pressing it ( found out it is quite common) .. after that.. I noticed ( might sound crazy) that when I fully press the clutch down, I tend to feel a click through the pedal? this is where I feel a little crazy... it also feels like the engagement point is A LOT higher than before? almost where you fully let off on the clutch.. Any ideas?
Dubnium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
DirtyD

That is the assist spring giving you fits. Most people remove it, but I've never had a problem with it. Up to you on what to do.

Other than that, you aren't crazy. These cars have such a high engagement point it's ridiculous. You basically have you have your foot on the firewall to do anything
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 08:03 AM   #3
Rebelracer568

My car does the same. High rpm shifts my pedal sticks. I also hear the clicking noise when I engage the clutch. Have half a mind to put gt500 clutch pedal assembly in my car.
Rebelracer568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
Mrjeremyt

Mine has done it twice so far, I'm removing the spring assist today and I'll be back with an update as to any issues that come from not having it.

94 F150 302
New project, thinking built, procharger, powerglide, tubbed, super sleeper
Mrjeremyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #5
Mrjeremyt

So after removing the spring assist on the clutch I took my car out for a spin around the parking lot and service road of I20. I could immediately tell that I like the car much more without the spring assist. It feels more like a muscle car, more normal, whereas before it felt almost fake. Now I must admit there is a little bit of slack in the pedal without the spring, nothing major, it doesn't bounce around or anything, but if you put your foot behind it you can pull up for maybe 1/4 inch at the most(closer to an 8th). Other then that its awesome, and while on a rather "spirited" drive home from work I intentionally passed up my exit just to use the clutch a few more times. I recommend everyone yank the spring off, the process is so easily reversible without any harm that it's worth a try to see how much more fun it is.

94 F150 302
Old 07-13-2013, 08:39 AM   #6
kn7671

Dubnium - yep, somewhat common on these cars, but there was another issue on the early 2011's with the pressure plate bolts coming loose that had a similar symptom with the clutch pedal not coming back up completely. If you have a click feeling that is not going away and the clutch engagement has suddenly changed, you should have it looked at, could be more serious than just a niggle.

Posts like these reaffirm my negativity towards the modern manual transmission. While all cars have their problems, it seems like almost everyone that has an MT82 has either one, complained about how the clutch and/or transmission feels/operates at one time or another, or two, had problems with the clutch and/or transmission, such as my 2011 that got a brand new MT82 after only 20k miles on the clock.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:17 PM   #7
re-rx7
Banned

I notice all of you have 13-14's?
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #8
Mrjeremyt

Ya, but as far as I know it's the same clutch setup. The trans doesn't have the skip shift. That's the only difference that I know of. Do most 11's and 12's not have any issues?

94 F150 302