Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > Members' Area > The Lounge

The Lounge The offtopic section.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:45 AM   #1
fordplay

Default z/28 review. .

I'm sorry does anyone else think these numbers are just lacking?? How is this car 200 lbs heavier than ours? And how is it so slow??

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ad-test-review
fordplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:05 AM   #2
Dominic Toretto

IB4GMCARSSUCKASS.

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:32 AM   #3
DirtyD

It's a legit road course car, but I'm sure someone will come along and say that it has something that is still to be desired.

Hopefully Ford will come out with something in the next gen to come after this car.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:45 AM   #4
Grandpa
I> /\/\

I take the magazine reviews with a grain of salt. Many of them are biased one way or another being paid by someone. I'll reserve judgment until I see them in actual owners hands to see how they perform.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:50 AM   #5
DirtyD

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT View Post
I take the magazine reviews with a grain of salt. Many of them are biased one way or another being paid by someone. I'll reserve judgment until I see them in actual owners hands to see how they perform.
That is if anyone will actually buy one to race it at the road track instead of just sitting in a garage, or being built to run strictly 1/4 (which is incredibly retarded to do)
Old 03-25-2014, 09:57 AM   #6
BERT
I love tube socks

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
That is if anyone will actually buy one to race it at the road track instead of just sitting in a garage, or being built to run strictly 1/4 (which is incredibly retarded to do)

[the dude] Well..... that's just like.... your opinion, man [the dude]
BERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:57 AM   #7
Grandpa
I> /\/\

I believe some owners will race them. Camaro owners are really no different than Mustang owners. Some of them are rabid racers who will take them out to beat them mercilessly and of course there will be those owners who will have them as garage queens only taking them to Cars and Coffee events just to be admired.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:01 AM   #8
DirtyD

I'm just wondering how many people will actually pay the asking price + dealer markup for one. I don't know how many GM expects to sell, but I know it will be a limited production run.

At the end of the day, it's still a $75k+ Camaro when you could have a Corvette for almost the same money that will out perform it all day long. Unless you see it from the nostalgia point of view.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:18 AM   #9
Grandpa
I> /\/\

I'm just wondering how many people will actually pay the asking price + dealer markup for one. I don't know how many GM expects to sell, but I know it will be a limited production run.

At the end of the day, it's still a $75k+ Camaro when you could have a Corvette for almost the same money that will out perform it all day long. Unless you see it from the nostalgia point of view.
You're thinking like a single guy in regards to nothing but performance. Some people need more than a two seater and still want performance. Before buying my V, I was shopping for a Z06 but I just couldn't bring myself to purchase another car that my whole family could not fit into and most likely would not use a lot which is why my 5.0 has sat so much.

In short, I don't think anyone shopping for a Camaro would be seriously considering a Corvette.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:30 AM   #10
DirtyD

You're thinking like a single guy in regards to nothing but performance. Some people need more than a two seater and still want performance. Before buying my V, I was shopping for a Z06 but I just couldn't bring myself to purchase another car that my whole family could not fit into and most likely would not use a lot which is why my 5.0 has sat so much.

In short, I don't think anyone shopping for a Camaro would be seriously considering a Corvette.
LOL What? Come on, Steve. That argument doesn't make any sense here. I'm talking about shopping for the Z/28 versus a Corvette for the same price. Corvette will be much better performance for your money. Neither come with a back seat. The Z/28 is built strictly for performance. So why would you try and make an argument that try to not include performance?

Last edited by DirtyD; 03-25-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:32 AM   #11
saunupe1911

Motortrend posted numbers testing in Cali.

0 to 60 - 4.0 sec

1/4 mile = 12.3 sec @ 117.2 mph

lateral Accel - 1.06 g (avg)

Not bad, the car has some grip. But I don't think it was purely anything magical that GM did. It was the 305s all the way around doing their job.
saunupe1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:35 AM   #12
Grandpa
I> /\/\

LOL What? Come on, Steve. That argument doesn't make any sense here. I'm talking about shopping for the Z/28 versus a Corvette for the same price. Corvette will be much better performance for your money. Neither come with a back seat.
Doh, brainfart on my part. Forgot the Z/28 doesn't have a backseat. My mistake. lol

What puzzles me, is that they supposedly stripped this car down to the bare bones, but yet the car is still 3900lbs?!
Old 03-25-2014, 10:38 AM   #13
DirtyD

Doh, brainfart on my part. Forgot the Z/28 doesn't have a backseat. My mistake. lol

What puzzles me, is that they supposedly stripped this car down to the bare bones, but yet the car is still 3900lbs?!
LOL. It's okay. We can excuse the age.

This car was optioned with the additional stereo and AC, so it's not truly barebones. I think in complete "barebones" form, at least with the minimal amount of crap GM puts in it from the factory, it weighs around 3800 lbs...still fat.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:56 AM   #14
Crimson600+HP

Car is not meant to be a dragster, that's what the COPO Camaro is for. Same reasoning behind people turning Boss 302's into straight line only cars. I never understood why people want to make cars like this a dragster, but to each there own.

Motortrend did a video on the Z/28 recently and the car is a legend. Very reminicint of the Trans Am days where things like the Boss 429 was made (for us Mustang guys). MT had Randy Pobst (professional racecar driver and owns many track records for production cars) run the Z/28 at Barber's track in GA. It's times were faster by 6 seconds than a Nissan GTR I believe. This car will be a legend for people who drive it like it is meant to be used. $75K is not outrageous for this car IMO either. Considering what it can do, it is still a bargain. Also is the last chance for people to get ahold of that handbuilt LS7 before it goes the way of the dinosaurs.

One thing that Randy said that the Z/28 did not put the power down as well as the Boss 302 even though it was faster. Not bad for a stick axle. He also claimed a lot of the Z/28's grip is accredited to the R Comp 305's on the front once they were warmed up. I know for sure my car now running 285's in the front will do a alot more on the road course than it did with the 255's.
ProCharger P1SC Stage 2|Full Suspension|New Plans: NA CJ Intake Manifold/OR H Pipe/3.73 Gears
Road Raced|Auto-X'd
Drag Raced|12.4s @ 119.7
Texas Mile|1/2 Mile: 140.3|1 Mile: 166.4|She had more in her!
Crimson600+HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #15
DirtyD

I really want to know how a Boss LS would compare to this car if they threw some of those same Pirelli R comps on and ran it.