Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
Jeremyd43

Default BAMA Ghost Cam Tune, GOOD OR BAD?

So i recently put the ghost cam tune on my car and i am curious if this has any negative effect on the engine? Of course the BAMA guys said that it doesnt but i have noticed a few things that have me concerned. One thing is that it will occasionally die at idle because it causes the rpm's to go so low to get that lope sound. I have also noticed that sometimes it doesnt make any type of "cam" sound and then i give it a rev and then it will kick in. Finally i have heard on a couple ocassions a kind of knocking sound, i think this is because it almost acts like it wants to stall out at idle. Just not sure if faking it just to get the sound i want is worth it. Maybe there is something i need to do to adjust for this but i dont know what that is.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
blownaltered
I have a small penis

I would put back in the stock tune personally. If you are having drivability issues I would take it out.
blownaltered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #3
Grandpa
I> /\/\

I wouldn't put a Bama tune on my lawnmower. lol

In all seriousness, poor driveability, no performance gains, very poor gas mileage, cylinder wash. The lope goes away when you touch the pedal because the timing changes. I think it's a silly tune personally, it makes no sense to go out of your way to make your car drive like garbage, but to each to their own.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
Jeremyd43

Originally Posted by blownaltered View Post
I would put back in the stock tune personally. If you are having drivability issues I would take it out.
im not having drivability issues. They are all during idle and only happen every now and then. im just curious if the ghost cam causes any damage to the engine.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
Dark Pony
Supporting Member

It's only good if done right. Shaun at AED knows how to do them pretty well.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
Smurf50

From what I can see from the reading I found, there should be no damage to the engine since it's only causing more of a rich idle. Your stalling is from the missing data values that the aftermarket tuners did not have...

If you want to keep it, do like Pony said...get it done by someone that knows the ghost tunes very well up at AED

Last edited by Smurf50; 05-08-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Smurf50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #7
zemog255

Bama isn't as awful as everyone makes them out to be. I was happy with their tune when i was just bolt on's. I've only seen one auto car run faster than me tune only and he was up north at the "fast tracks"

Have you data logged for bama yet? The issues you are having are common issues with the lope tunes, the tune still needs some final tweaks.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
DirtyD

Originally Posted by zemog255 View Post
Bama isn't as awful as everyone makes them out to be. I was happy with their tune when i was just bolt on's. I've only seen one auto car run faster than me tune only and he was up north at the "fast tracks"

Have you data logged for bama yet? The issues you are having are common issues with the lope tunes, the tune still needs some final tweaks.
They aren't what they used to be before AM bought them...but there is better
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #9
zemog255

I bought their tune back in september.. I ran a 12.08@113 with just their 93 race tune and GT 500 mufflers. No track "tricks", full weight preimum brembo auto in 90ft DA. The shifting was crisp and fast. Around town no complaints everything was very responsive. I would rather have their trans tuning than what I have with my lund tune now. There's only so much you can get out of a tune on a stock car and mild bolt ons.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:26 AM   #10
PLASMAN

I bought their tune back in september.. I ran a 12.08@113 with just their 93 race tune and GT 500 mufflers. No track "tricks", full weight preimum brembo auto in 90ft DA. The shifting was crisp and fast. Around town no complaints everything was very responsive. I would rather have their trans tuning than what I have with my lund tune now. There's only so much you can get out of a tune on a stock car and mild bolt ons.
If you're looking for a good auto tune check out VMP-flawless shifting just right. I can take you for a ride if you want to check it out.
mods to be put on:
MAK 3" Offroad downpipe, FR Intercooler, Meth kit, SSI T5 Tune

Totaled:
2013 GT/CS A6
Steeda CAI/ VMP Tune/GT500 AB/JEGS CAT DELETES/
STEEDA UCA/LCA'S/ EIBACH PRO KIT STRUTS/ FRPP K SPRINGS/ BMR PANHARD BAR / Shelby Razors 20's
PLASMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:52 AM   #11
re-rx7
Banned

I also like my bama tune. I run the 91 performance tune most of the time.
Dnt feel much difference in the 93 but, I'm prolly used to it lol.
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I wouldn't put a Bama tune on my lawnmower. lol
Yea yea

This.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:11 AM   #12
downtime!

I'll put another vote in for VMP's mail order stuff. Justin's canned tune on my car ran 12 flats at 117 with muffler deletes and dr's. That said, and as good as his mail order stuff is, there is still no substitute for a hands on custom tune by a skilled tuner.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #13
moostang09

I heard from a buddy that the only issue that a ghost cam tune can cause is a need to change out spark plugs a little more often. Just bc of extended periods of idle time like sitting in rush hour traffic.

Any truth to that?
Old 05-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #14
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by moostang09 View Post
I heard from a buddy that the only issue that a ghost cam tune can cause is a need to change out spark plugs a little more often. Just bc of extended periods of idle time like sitting in rush hour traffic.

Any truth to that?
Yes. It's due to all of the unburned fuel from the car running really fat.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:02 AM   #15
Grandpa
I> /\/\

BTW, Mike Wilson is not even at Bama anymore and hasn't been for awhile. He is back here in DFW and like usual Bama's shady business practices they are still using his names for their tunes even though he's not there.