Foxbody 5.0s For the original 5.0s that started it all

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 05-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #16
STROKD
Old School

Originally Posted by blownaltered View Post
Damn Griggs is expensive. If I was going to build an all out road race car I could see spending that much but not for a weekend toy. That may or may not ever see the track. Even if I was going to go to the track a few times a year I couldn't justify that price.

Next on my list is a bump steer kit and caster camber plates.
yea it wasnt cheap. The car was at Griggs Racing for like 2 months and I think my dad paid like 15k or some shit for all the work they did, including brakes, rear end upgrade, suspension, chassis stiffening, wheels, tires, exhaust modifications etc etc...

its a pretty bad ass fun to drive car though, when it's tuned I will let you drive it right after you get out of yours to see the difference. It doesnt ride or handle like a Mustang anymore.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #17
Grandpa
I> /\/\

I can tell you guys from personal experience riding in Strokd's vert, I'd put that car against any "exotic" on the road in regards to handling. That thing handles amazing. Yes, what is underneath of it is crazy expensive, but worth every dime of it. Usually a fox with that kind of power is just a deathtrap, but that car handles all of the power and then some.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #18
blownaltered
I have a small penis

Originally Posted by STROKD View Post
yea it wasnt cheap. The car was at Griggs Racing for like 2 months and I think my dad paid like 15k or some shit for all the work they did, including brakes, rear end upgrade, suspension, chassis stiffening, wheels, tires, exhaust modifications etc etc...

its a pretty bad ass fun to drive car though, when it's tuned I will let you drive it right after you get out of yours to see the difference. It doesnt ride or handle like a Mustang anymore.
I bet it is an incredible ride, but I just can't justify spending that sort of coin on a toy. Now I am over time going to be changing certain things for handling but I'm not going to that extreme.
blownaltered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #19
OG Fox
Supporting Member

Please let me know when its finished, i'd like a ride.

I bet it is an incredible ride, but I just can't justify spending that sort of coin on a toy. Now I am over time going to be changing certain things for handling but I'm not going to that extreme.

Im kinda in the same category as you right now. From what I can see, I need control arms, subframe connectors, shocks/ struts, sways. after that though, where do you go?
OG Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #20
downtime!

Start with having the torque boxes welded. Aftermarket control arms with poly bushings have been known to tear perfectly good looking boxes. Call James B on the other forum, he does chassis work.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #21
blownaltered
I have a small penis

Originally Posted by OG Fox View Post

Im kinda in the same category as you right now. From what I can see, I need control arms, subframe connectors, shocks/ struts, sways. after that though, where do you go?
Do sub frame connectors first. Big improvement on the body having any flex. Also if you plant any power you won't hurt the car like you can without them.

I have upper and lower control arms, eibach pro springs, Koni str.t shocks and struts and of course subframe connectors. Looking into caster camber plates now. One of these days I might do a k member but that's because I drive a heavy ass vert so I need it to loose a few pounds.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #22
OG Fox
Supporting Member

ok cool, i have eibach sportlines, and the car already plants decent, i thnk thats due to the after market 8.8 and aluminum driveshaft. but i will look into subframes next. I think latemodel has a subframe/control arm kit for like 200 bucks. not bad.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #23
blownaltered
I have a small penis

ok cool, i have eibach sportlines, and the car already plants decent, i thnk thats due to the after market 8.8 and aluminum driveshaft. but i will look into subframes next. I think latemodel has a subframe/control arm kit for like 200 bucks. not bad.
That's the sve kit. I can say when it comes to chassis parts cheapest isn't better. Like stated earlier maximum motorsports, Griggs and some others are going to be great for what you want. Don't go cheap on these types of parts, you will regret it later when your buying them again.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #24
Toby

^ this we also have a chassis guy in house that can do what ever you want done. He can even build you custom control arms to fit your specific needs.
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #25
STROKD
Old School

Few weeks she will be ready.

Thanks Steve, yea it's a fun car, I dont ever plan to let it leave the family. Even if I have to sell my 86 to keep it, it wouldnt even be a second thought.

Where Id start, you have the springs which is great. Id do full length subframes, weld the torque boxes at the same time, an under hood strut brace (which I have a bad ass one I will sell cheap since it doesnt work with the Griggs), a g-load brace which braces the stock k member and keeps it in place during hard turns, bump steet kit, and upper and lower control arms for the back. At that point you should have a pretty damn good handling car... not torque arm + watts link good; but pretty nice and fun to toss around... All those parts should be less than a grand, esp if you buy my strut brace for half price.

Dont forget some better tires too...
Old 05-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #26
blownaltered
I have a small penis

Thanks Steve, yea it's a fun car, I dont ever plan to let it leave the family. Even if I have to sell my 86 to keep it, it wouldnt even be a second thought.

Where Id start, you have the springs which is great. Id do full length subframes, weld the torque boxes at the same time, an under hood strut brace (which I have a bad ass one I will sell cheap since it doesnt work with the Griggs), a g-load brace which braces the stock k member and keeps it in place during hard turns, bump steet kit, and upper and lower control arms for the back. At that point you should have a pretty damn good handling car... not torque arm + watts link good; but pretty nice and fun to toss around... All those parts should be less than a grand, esp if you buy my strut brace for half price.

Haven't welded my torque boxes yet. I know that's something I will have to do before long. I never plan on taking the car to the drag strip so I'm not to worried about it. I never launch the car from a dig.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:07 AM   #27
downtime!

Haven't welded my torque boxes yet. I know that's something I will have to do before long. I never plan on taking the car to the drag strip so I'm not to worried about it. I never launch the car from a dig.
Launching from a dig isn't the only thing that kills torque boxes. Moderate horsepower levels and on and off a heavy throttle on a road course will do the same thing. I tore up a couple of Capris back in the day and they never saw a drag launch ever.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:17 AM   #28
OG Fox
Supporting Member

will hit you up soon for the strut brace. what make is it?
Old 05-09-2013, 03:18 AM   #29
OG Fox
Supporting Member

Originally Posted by Toby View Post
^ this we also have a chassis guy in house that can do what ever you want done. He can even build you custom control arms to fit your specific needs.
where do you work?? and explain the benefit of getting custom control arms versus just getting some adjustable.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:31 AM   #30
Austin@BA-Speed
DFW5.0s Preferred Vendor

Check out these guys....
http://www.agentfortyseven.com/Fox/Fox_suspension.html#
pricey but worth it