Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:37 PM   #1
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Default How hard do you drive your car?

I'm curious, but how hard do you drive your car?

Do you just run it when the opportunity comes along, or do you beat the snot out of it every chance you get?

Burnouts?
Donuts?
Drifting it around corners?
Powershifting?
Redline it every time you drive it?

I'm guessing I'm probably the most tame here on the board. I've only done three mild burnouts/passes the one night we went to the track.

I rarely drive it hard at all. It's not unusual at all to go for a drive and not even get close to redline. I've had a few races, but it's not the norm.

No drifting/sliding. I'd be pissed at myself if I lost it and curb checked a wheel!

Donuts - I think I've only attempted it once and it was miserable attempt. So I don't think I even know how to do it right. Haha.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
jng2985

like a bat out of hell.. Yet to curb, not many burn outs, no power shifts "I don't trust the shifter", donuts in the rain to scare the ol'e lady, daily driving shifting around 3k, so with 20k on the dash I'd say im fairly calm.
jng2985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #3
Sieran

Moderate most days. There is one stretch on the way to work that i might redline it, but that is maybe once or twice a week in 2nd gear. 3rd and redline is too damn fast for a service road.

I do accelerate faster than the average pack of cars from a stop light, but rarely over 4k rpm before i shift.

I have power slid around a few corners, but that was mainly when i was getting a feel for the car and wanted to see how it behaved. One unintentional 300 degree spin.
Sieran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #4
03MachMe

I'll get on it every now and then when I drive it but only raced once at the drag and one auto X so far. Will get sideways very rarely

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
386rwhp/383rwtq
03MachMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
kn7671

Let me get this straight Steve, are you confessing to being a Mustang "poser"?

I drive my car gentle, mild, mixed, and hard, all depending on conditions and mood. I've seen average fuel mileage for a tank ranging from 12mpg to 27mpg, and my tires and brakes are generally replaced entirely every 15k to 20k miles.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
Let me get this straight Steve, are you confessing to being a Mustang "poser"?
How did you come to that conclusion? lol.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
JDBishopArts

Only to dust the tires off at the track
No
Sometimes. It's fun. Don't know if I'd call it drifting but breaking it loose around a turn from time to time is fun.
No
I've hit redline a couple times on accident. Once racing a dude "not" on the street. Once at the track.
JDBishopArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:05 PM   #8
svt-eric

i drive like my grandpa. slow shifts, 5 to 10 under the speed limit, only burnouts i do are at the track, , never redline, quit doing donuts, and no drifting for me! straight lines!

only time my car sees full power is at the track or when i "used" to street race.
svt-eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:35 PM   #9
GunsUp

Never raced or abused in any way. Never been to the track. Never done a donut, Never raced from a dig. Straight Virgin
Old 07-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #10
Oxford14Stang

I've done, only two stand still burnouts and about 7 just light the tires up and get them warm, all of which were at the track. I've taken my car down a track 10 total passes each gear to the redline. As far as driving it on the streets, I'll play if their is an opportunity and when I do I'll run it to 7000. I'll get on the car when I have some buddies with me as well, kind of for fun. As far as donuts none and have no reason to. As far as powershifting I do admit Ive done it every time its gone down the track and even at the street races when I had taken it. As for now I try my best not to but sometimes by habit it happens :/ as for driving the car and no one to race I run the gears up to about 2500-3000 depending. And if I do any pulls its 2-3 and run it to about 4500-5k

Oxford14Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #11
46Tbird

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I'm curious, but how hard do you drive your car?
About like it was intended. It's a hot rod, so it gets used, but I don't think I'm abusive.
Do you just run it when the opportunity comes along, or do you beat the snot out of it every chance you get?
I'm easy on it most of the time - especially now that it's hot. I can't remember the last time I was "on it."
Burnouts?
Sure, at the track.
Donuts?
Never once.
Drifting it around corners?
Nah, not with the intention of "drifting" but I've had to relax the steering wheel a bit as the rear was steering itself through a turn.
Powershifting?
Yep. My vice. I'm smooth and it's easy for me, so it's not nearly as abusive as some of the clunky driving I've seen from people that don't powershift.
Redline it every time you drive it?
I've only bumped the factory rev limiter a handful of times, so I would say no.

I've made 30ish passes in the car and that's about the only time I really abuse it. I've taken it up to 125 a couple of times too. Some of you guys taking these cars to 140+ are pretty much insane, especially with the stock suspension.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:09 PM   #12
White_lightning

i'm an old man in a vette.. speed limiter is 70.. I might push it to 75... but nothing really beyond that....
Old 07-08-2013, 07:12 PM   #13
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Danny, I think I need to get some driving tips from you to get my car down the track faster.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:13 PM   #14
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by White_lightning View Post
i'm an old man in a vette.. speed limiter is 70.. I might push it to 75... but nothing really beyond that....
You're more full of shit than a Thanksgiving turkey.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #15
Rydawg1

I would say I typically drive it "spirited". I mean it's a 400HP pony car. Typically I shift around 3-4k range with the occasional pull from 2-4th getting on the highway. I had the clutch stick to the floor one time and since then I seldom get close to, much less go over 6k RPM's. I've done 4-5 burnouts after I got my O/R H, CAI and tune for no other reason than I wanted to. And I've currently got ~9k miles on her.

2013 SG 400A GT Premium w/Brembos, VMP TVS 2.3 stage 2, Fore return style fuel system, ID1000's, 20" Shelby CS70's, Eibach Pro System Suspension Kit, BMR K member, UCA, LCA, adj. Pan hard Bar, Shaftmaster Aluminum Driveshaft, McLeod RXT twin disc clutch, McLeod lightened steel flywheel, MBRP race exhaust with Lethal O/R H, JLT oil separator
Rydawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote