Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Performance

Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 02-08-2014, 11:00 AM   #166
Dominic Toretto

Man I would love to see what the maximum potential these can do NA since they love to rev. A nice cam, intake manifold and heads(not sure if aftermarket heads are available).

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:13 AM   #167
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto View Post
Man I would love to see what the maximum potential these can do NA since they love to rev. A nice cam, intake manifold and heads(not sure if aftermarket heads are available).

-Alex
Jeff made 520whp na I believe.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #168
GTOphil

It just takes more money and I'm afraid driveability would suffer.

$5k in NA??

$5k in blower= at least 550

When I get the money I'm going blower for once..
GTOphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:20 AM   #169
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by GTOphil View Post
It just takes more money and I'm afraid driveability would suffer.

$5k in NA??

$5k in blower= at least 550

When I get the money I'm going blower for once..
Boost is the best way to go with these cars. Yes these cars can make decent power NA if one was so inclined but its not as good of a return on your money dollar per hp.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #170
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT View Post
Boost is the best way to go with these cars. Yes these cars can make decent power NA if one was so inclined but its not as good of a return on your money dollar per hp.
This is true but I bet a 500whp NA 5.0 would be fun lol
Old 02-08-2014, 11:43 AM   #171
GTOphil

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT View Post
Exactly.

I spent $6k on my GTO (longtubes, mids, axle back, cai, ported t/b, monster level 2 clutch, big cam) and made around 430 (appx. 100 more than stock)

I've spent $650 on this so far (axle back + tuner). With $5,500 I could throw on a Paxton, have it tuned and ride around with at least 550.

Just not worth it anymore for me n/a.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:45 PM   #172
JDMLOL

Originally Posted by GTOphil View Post
Exactly.

I spent $6k on my GTO (longtubes, mids, axle back, cai, ported t/b, monster level 2 clutch, big cam) and made around 430 (appx. 100 more than stock)

Did you have an ls1 car?

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS
JDMLOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:36 PM   #173
GTOphil

Originally Posted by JDMLOL View Post
Did you have an ls1 car?
LS2- 2006 GTO

The $6k was:

ARH LT's w/ high flow cats- $1300
Mids and axle back- $700ish??
Level 2 Clutch w/lightweight flywheel- $1200
VX cam w/springs,etc- $1300
Ported t/b- $250
CAI- $400
Short throw shifter- $200-$300 (don't really remember)

That plus install/tuning was about $6k.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:51 PM   #174
Dominic Toretto

When I price a boosted car, I can't fathom slapping on a blower and calling it a day. Just not me. I always include a forged bottom end. If you're going to put a blower on, why not go all out for maximum potential AND reliability. Driving a boosted car is not fun when you can only do it a few times out of fear of bending rods or destroying pistons. So for me, a real blower setup is going to cost over $8k.

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Old 02-08-2014, 01:57 PM   #175
GTOphil

When I price a boosted car, I can't fathom slapping on a blower and calling it a day. Just not me. I always include a forged bottom end. If you're going to put a blower on, why not go all out for maximum potential AND reliability. Driving a boosted car is not fun when you can only do it a few times out of fear of bending rods or destroying pistons. So for me, a real blower setup is going to cost over $8k.

-Alex
Even if it's $8k-$10k...that's $4k more than I spent on the GTO.

Then you're putting down 600+ with no worries...compared to never hitting that and being afraid your engine will blow if you push the limits n/a.

I don't have a race car, I want the power when I want it, but it doesn't get driven a ton and it doesn't get driven hard. I'll save up the $5k for a blower and then when it's paid off I'll build the motor.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:06 PM   #176
re-rx7
Banned

You only made 430 with a ls2 gto with those mods? I know some LS1 motors that have made that with less.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:00 PM   #177
GTOphil

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
You only made 430 with a ls2 gto with those mods? I know some LS1 motors that have made that with less.
It's pretty much on par with others.

stock heads, stock manifold, no porting

They dyno anywhere between 330-350 stock. So cam/LT/cai for 80-100 whp isn't far off. I know plenty of guys that made the same or less.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:12 PM   #178
Dan12GT

-Alex
Depends on your end goals. These cars can handle a small amount of boost and with the right tune be fine. I would say you never want to go above 600whp. To be honest I would feel more safe with it around 550. The horror stories we read are when people way over push the motors (we've had a few in our group). Take Josh Bishop or Ryan Knight's cars for good example. They make good power safely and aren't over pushing the motors.

I think a lot of people look at these cars and compare them to the terminators which have around the same amount of power stock. However, they are 2 very different cars. Obviously the terminators have way more potential due to the forged motor.

I'd say if you are trying to go for anything north of 600whp you better start looking into building the motor and full fuel system.

Airaid CAI | Borla S-Type Catback | Amsoil 10w30 and MTG Trans. Fluid
382hp 387ft/lb | 1/4: 12.9 @ 112mph
Dan12GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 03:54 PM   #179
Dominic Toretto

Originally Posted by Dan12GT View Post
Depends on your end goals. These cars can handle a small amount of boost and with the right tune be fine. I would say you never want to go above 600whp. To be honest I would feel more safe with it around 550. The horror stories we read are when people way over push the motors (we've had a few in our group). Take Josh Bishop or Ryan Knight's cars for good example. They make good power safely and aren't over pushing the motors.

I think a lot of people look at these cars and compare them to the terminators which have around the same amount of power stock. However, they are 2 very different cars. Obviously the terminators have way more potential due to the forged motor.

I'd say if you are trying to go for anything north of 600whp you better start looking into building the motor and full fuel system.
From what I have noticed about most people that chase power is that they always want more. So sure, 550 may be impressive for a few months but, then why go through the trouble of then breaking down the engine later and spending more money when it could have been much cheaper to do it the first time? It would be a lot cheaper to build it complete the first time, and if you want 550, go with that for the time being. When that becomes slow, simply increase the fuel delivery, tune and viola, have more power without having to open the engine up a second time.

I have a buddy at work that is debating between a new Evo and a 5.0. He's got a 2014/13 Dodge Dart that he JUST bought and was wanting to mod it for power. I said, why didn't you just buy an actual performance car? He started looking at newer cars and decided between the two mentioned. Now he's planning to take a huge hit on depreciation for his new car for an even newer car, spend all of his tax return plus any other money for a down payment AND have larger payments when he could have saved a ton from just buying the better car the first time. Juss sayin lol.

-Alex

Old 02-09-2014, 04:39 PM   #180
GTOphil

From what I have noticed about most people that chase power is that they always want more. So sure, 550 may be impressive for a few months but, then why go through the trouble of then breaking down the engine later and spending more money when it could have been much cheaper to do it the first time? It would be a lot cheaper to build it complete the first time, and if you want 550, go with that for the time being. When that becomes slow, simply increase the fuel delivery, tune and viola, have more power without having to open the engine up a second time.

I have a buddy at work that is debating between a new Evo and a 5.0. He's got a 2014/13 Dodge Dart that he JUST bought and was wanting to mod it for power. I said, why didn't you just buy an actual performance car? He started looking at newer cars and decided between the two mentioned. Now he's planning to take a huge hit on depreciation for his new car for an even newer car, spend all of his tax return plus any other money for a down payment AND have larger payments when he could have saved a ton from just buying the better car the first time. Juss sayin lol.

-Alex
I think we see where you're coming from but for me personally....I'd rather not wait until I have all $8k or however much to replace parts and build it AND boost it.

I plan on saving $5k and putting a Paxton on there and seeing what 550+ish feels like.

Then when I have more money saved up I can build certain elements of it and increase power. But if I want until I have all of the money to do both at the same time I won't be able to have fun with anything over near stock hp until then. So I'm adding at least a year or two of time with current power just because I wanted to "do it right the first time" when I could be safely having fun with 550 hp while saving up $$$.

I realize some of you guys can just go and do whatever you want, but you can't easily support a family AND dump money when you feel like it in the mustang on $50k a year.