Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 10-06-2013, 10:37 PM   #31
Kaane

I am taking my cats out

Oil pressure is important but HTHS rating is more important to me. 0w20 mobil 1 has a HTHS rating of 2.61, most good racing oils have HTHS rating of 4+

I'd run motul 300v if I could, but it's too damn expensive.

0w20 oils shear too much with temp and their ZDDP levels are just too low when I am making 800hp.

Ford puts 0w20 because that is what gives them best economy and they are restricted to oil that have 800ppm of ZDDP or less.
Kaane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:51 PM   #32
re-rx7
Banned

Almoat all wear is at startup. 0w-20 shears to much? Link to where that is stated? All oil at 212f are almost the same viscosity. So why would it shear? Oil pressure is everything. I mean everything. What makes the diff is startup. Only logging will tell what oil you need to use.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:54 PM   #33
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
Interestingly enough the Track Pack specifies like 20w-50. WHy IDK.

The thickness of moving oil is measured in centiStokes or cS. Most engines want the oil viscosity to be around 10 cS at normal operating temperature. The really thick multi-grade oils have a viscosity of 20 cS at operating temperature. One is not twice as thick as the other, it is only 10 cS thicker.

As we increase the heat from 212°F to 302°F the most commonly recommended oil thins from 10 cS to 3 cS. The thicker oil drops from 20 cS to 4 cS. Note that in a very hot engine the difference between the two oils is now only 1 – 2 cS. In other words they have about the same thickness. There is little advantage to a thicker based oil as a 20W-50 at very high temperatures. No, the 4 cS oil is not twice as thick as the 2 or 3 cS oil. This difference is almost insignificant.

The thing is most wear occurs at startup. All oils are to thick at startup to lubricate properly. As they heat up they all thin out to about the same specs.

The best way to figure out what viscosity of oil you need is to drive the car in the conditions you will use. Then use the oil viscosity that gives you 10 PSI per 1,000 RPM under those circumstances. For some reason very few people are able to get this simple principal correct.
Again.
Old 10-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #34
Kaane

So why would ford put 50w oil in their track pack cars? I mean according to your logic the oil would shear the same and have the same oil pressure.

Why do all racing oils have high temp shear tolerance? Why do they have high ZDDP content? I mean if it was all fluff. Everyone would be running 0w20 oil.

Look at Porsche recommended oils and Nissan GTR.

0w40 or 5w50.

For normal street driving on non modified engines I am sure 0w20 is more than sufficient, but for track application or supercharged engines extra protection is warranted.
Kaane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 11:30 PM   #35
re-rx7
Banned

See that zero 40?
Old 10-06-2013, 11:39 PM   #36
re-rx7
Banned

Log back into this in the morn. Im on my phone but i eill answer that question.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #37
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by Kaane View Post
So why would ford put 50w oil in their track pack cars? I mean according to your logic the oil would shear the same and have the same oil pressure.

Why do all racing oils have high temp shear tolerance? Why do they have high ZDDP content? I mean if it was all fluff. Everyone would be running 0w20 oil.

Look at Porsche recommended oils and Nissan GTR.

0w40 or 5w50.

For normal street driving on non modified engines I am sure 0w20 is more than sufficient, but for track application or supercharged engines extra protection is warranted.

The best situation as described by Ferrari is to use the 0W-40 around town and the 10W-60 “racing oil” on the track. It has to be that “hot” track though. A compromise situation would be to use the 5W-40 for both but this may not be optimal. Certainly, if you are just an urban driver as me use the 0W-40 or even a thinner oil as I do in my stanger. Again, I used the 0W-20 grade.

FYI. The Formula 1 cars that run at 15,000 RPM and higher use straight 5 and 10 grade oils.

This increased flow will result in increased cooling by the oil. This is a good thing. You would probably want more oil flow in these situations and you get it. The hotter oil thins and this increases flow. The higher flow works harder to separate the engine parts that are under very high stress. It all works out for the better. Higher revving engines need thinner oils. You do not necessarily need to go to a thicker oil while racing. Only experimentation will tell.

he temperature of oil on your gauge is not as hot as it really gets. This temperature is an average with oil from different parts of the motor. Some parts are hotter than others. It is said that some of the oil gets as hot as 400° or 500°F in these racing situations.

Now Ford I would say reccomends the thick oil because the cars are sold everywhere from hot as hell places to frigid. The Hot as hell places are probally the concern then there maybe some benefit to a thicker oil. Now with racing oils the aditives you speak of dont actually kep the oil from shearing, It still shears but the difference is those additives are the last line of defense when it happens. The bad thing is most racing oil clog cats and coat engien parts so 1-2k mile changes are a gd idea.

Last edited by re-rx7; 10-07-2013 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:59 AM   #38
rriddle3

I inderstand and generally agree with the gist of your explanations, but I will say that for the majority of us who drive our Mustangs on the street with the occasional run on the track or course, that following Ford's oil recommendations will serve us just fine. Modern commercial oils are so much better than they were years ago that the selection process has been simplified for all of us.
2012 GT Automatic, Kona Blue w/Stone interior
The usual exhaust mods, JLT CAI, Brenspeed tune, BMR LCAs
rriddle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #39
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by rriddle3 View Post
I inderstand and generally agree with the gist of your explanations, but I will say that for the majority of us who drive our Mustangs on the street with the occasional run on the track or course, that following Ford's oil recommendations will serve us just fine. Modern commercial oils are so much better than they were years ago that the selection process has been simplified for all of us.
Very very very true. 5w-20 is the pefect oil for most all of us. I use penn Ultra but there really isnt a bad oil anymore.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #40
2012mustang76123

I have the extended bumper to bumper warranty. Always take it to the dealership. Just in case it becomes an issue The dealership handled everything related to maintenance besides brakes.
2012mustang76123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #41
Bacadiesel

If you are running your car at the track is severely shortens oil efficiency.
Bacadiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:23 PM   #42
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by Bacadiesel View Post
If you are running your car at the track is severely shortens oil efficiency.
That depends on alot of different factors.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #43
Bacadiesel

Racing all day would require an oil change.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #44
re-rx7
Banned

obviously.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:40 PM   #45
Bacadiesel

You're so smart re-rx7