Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:55 PM   #31
DirtyD

Originally Posted by GunsUp View Post
All cars work better with slicks at the track...
Obviously. I'm speaking for stick cars. Didn't exactly mean 5.0s.

Depending on the power level. IIRC, wbt broke the rear end in one of his cars doing a hard launch in an auto at the track, on slicks. You need to beef the hell out of everything in the driveline to do slicks on an auto in order to do a full hard hit at higher power levels.

Last edited by DirtyD; 09-26-2013 at 01:03 PM.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:56 PM   #32
DirtyD

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT View Post
You realize that statement is complete nonsense, right?
See above.

Every here has said he needs slicks to get full potential at the track because the DRs aren't working.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:03 PM   #33
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
These cars work best with slicks at the track, especially at his power level. DRs won't do enough for him.
See above.

Every here has said he needs slicks to get full potential at the track because the DRs aren't working.
The DR's aren't working because of the tires. It's user error and not getting the suspension dialed in properly yet.

There is a whole class of cars (275 class) that manage to put well over 1100hp to the tires on a 275 radial dipping into the high 4 second 1/8th mile times.

Slicks are NOT needed to go fast. I've said it a million times, it's about a proper set up.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #34
Grandpa
I> /\/\

And before you say it, to say it's "these" cars is nonsense. Beefcake runs the 275 class, on E85 making over 1000rw and runs great numbers.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #35
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

The DR's aren't working because of the tires. It's user error and not getting the suspension dialed in properly yet.

There is a whole class of cars (275 class) that manage to put well over 1100hp to the tires on a 275 radial dipping into the high 4 second 1/8th mile times.

Slicks are NOT needed to go fast. I've said it a million times, it's about a proper set up.
Those guys in the 275 class are driving manuals at that power level? I can probably cut 1.7-1.9 with better shocks and struts with DR but with slicks I can cut 1.3-1.5 which is a big difference.
I agree. A stick car shocks the tires MUCH harder and does it several times going down the track. With a big power stick car, the car is much more unsettled going down the track making it more of a challenge to ET well. A well running auto car is nothing more than just point and shoot. Which is great for a track car taking a lot of driver error out of the equation.
BLK2012GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #36
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

And before you say it, to say it's "these" cars is nonsense. Beefcake runs the 275 class, on E85 making over 1000rw and runs great numbers.

Beefcake is auto.
I agree. A stick car shocks the tires MUCH harder and does it several times going down the track. With a big power stick car, the car is much more unsettled going down the track making it more of a challenge to ET well. A well running auto car is nothing more than just point and shoot. Which is great for a track car taking a lot of driver error out of the equation.
BLK2012GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:07 PM   #37
DirtyD

You act like I don't know this, and I've never heard of the 275 class. Lord. Unless you have the resources and want to install a fully track capable suspension on the car, slicks are the easier route to go. Jeff wants his car to be both street and strip, street majority. Using slicks at the track would eliminate a lot of the suspension hassle from the equation to give him a quick, effective solution to hooking at the track. His car is not a purpose built race car that he wants to run 8s in every weekend. Therefore doing a full suspension for him outside of shocks/struts and springs would be a waste of money on his end.

There are many routes you can go for a "proper" setup.

Last edited by DirtyD; 09-26-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #38
DirtyD

God, Steve, can you fucking read? I said I was speaking for stick cars, not 5.0s. I didn't choose the right word, but now you have gone into kill mode, so there is no hope for me.

Beefcake runs an auto.

All of those 275 guys run glides, which are basically autos. You know exactly why too.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:11 PM   #39
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by BLK2012GT View Post
Beefcake is auto.
Doesn't mean it can't be done. It's certainly easier to go with an auto, but it doesn't mean it can't be done rowing gears either. It's just harder to do needing a serious driving mod and stout driveline parts. Most people going that fast tend to go auto because it's so much easier to do. Point and shoot, takes the driver practically out of the equation. Junkie rows gears with a 6 speed well into the 8's. If he put an auto in it it would go EASY 7's.

All you need is some serious seat time and practice.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #40
DirtyD

Also, to add, no where is any of my statements did I say that DRs won't work. I simply said they won't do enough for him. Obviously he needs to upgrade many things in order to make DRs work to his advantage, where as slicks take a lot out of the equation.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:15 PM   #41
Grandpa
I> /\/\

You act like I don't know this, and I've never heard of the 275 class. Lord. Unless you have the resources and want to install a fully track capable suspension on the car, slicks are the easier route to go. Jeff wants his car to be both street and strip, street majority. Using slicks at the track would eliminate a lot of the suspension hassle from the equation to give him a quick, effective solution to hooking at the track. His car is not a purpose built race car that he wants to run 8s in every weekend. Therefore doing a full suspension for him outside of shocks/struts and springs would be a waste of money on his end.

There are many routes you can go for a "proper" setup.

God, Steve, can you fucking read? I said I was speaking for stick cars, not 5.0s. I didn't choose the right word, but now you have gone into kill mode, so there is no hope for me.

Beefcake runs an auto.

All of those 275 guys run glides, which are basically autos. You know exactly why too.
Seriously, relax. You get wound up way too easy. You're wrong, doesn't mean you're an idiot. You're just inexperienced is all.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:17 PM   #42
Doug

Not using the nitrous at the track till I get some slicks. But I have used it on the road a few times but anything under 60 it just melts the tires.
Good to hear.

1990 5.0 Coupe
1993 Vert
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #43
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Obviously he needs to upgrade many things in order to make DRs work to his advantage, where as slicks take a lot out of the equation.
How so? Please explain.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:21 PM   #44
Junkie

Originally Posted by GunsUp View Post
All cars work better with slicks at the track...
LMFAO. ^ this guy doesn't know shit.

BIG difference in auto vs manual with a radial boss.

Those guys in the 275 class are driving manuals at that power level? I can probably cut 1.7-1.9 with better shocks and struts with DR but with slicks I can cut 1.3-1.5 which is a big difference.
I went a 1.6x on 18" radials with a manual last weekend, I fully expect to learn the clutch/tire combo and go a low 1.5x once ironed out. It can be done on radials with a stick, its just MUCH easier and safer for driveline parts with a slick. The wrinkle wall helps absorb a bunch of shock, it hits there instead of the driveline parts.

with that being said, if you can work a clutch well. You should be fine.
Old 09-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #45
DirtyD

Seriously, relax. You get wound up way too easy. You're wrong, doesn't mean you're an idiot. You're just inexperienced is all.
So I can't explain my reasoning for making the statement I made? I'm not wrong. I simply have a different opinion than you, so you think I'm wrong. DRs and slicks both work. But one is easier and more cost effective than the other to produce the goals that Jeff has for the car.

Still doesn't excuse your blatant miss of not reading the post before you posted, where I corrected my statement after a poor choice of wording.

Last edited by DirtyD; 09-26-2013 at 01:24 PM.