Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 01-30-2015, 09:17 PM   #1
whitboy82

Default Dealership Oil Change

I have had my Mustang since the beginning of June 2014 and have just over 5,200 miles on the car, and have started getting reminders in the mail to have the oil changed. I have the MPP extended warranty giving me free oil changes at the dealership.

So, I have 2 questions... One, if the maintenance minder says I'm still at around 50% oil life do I really need to have it changed now? The dealerships I've called all say Ford recommends 5,000 mile oil changes but if that's so, then why have the maintenance minder? My wife has a Honda and they recommend only changing the oil when the minder goes off...which is somewhere between 8 and 10k miles depending on her driving. I just don't want to risk warranty issues if I dont.

Two, I currently have a OR/X with an AED tune and have heard stories where people, not necessarily Ford owners, have gone in and the tech plugs into the OBDII and either notices there's a tune or flashes the ecu, without the owners permission. With that possibly voiding the warranty.

So does anyone have any experience with either of my questions bc I'm a little unsure what I should do.

Thanks
C&L CAI, Lethal O/R X, Lethal OTAs, FM Outlaws, SCT X4, AED tuned, SR lowering springs/Koni Str.t, SR LCA, BMR panhard, Power Stop Z26 rotors/pads, CDC grill, MMD downforce spoiler, Roush full lip kit, Concept One CS-6 wheels, etc

2018 Mustang GT Performance Pack 2
whitboy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 01:27 AM   #2
NAVAG

Originally Posted by whitboy82 View Post
I have had my Mustang since the beginning of June 2014 and have just over 5,200 miles on the car, and have started getting reminders in the mail to have the oil changed. I have the MPP extended warranty giving me free oil changes at the dealership.

So, I have 2 questions... One, if the maintenance minder says I'm still at around 50% oil life do I really need to have it changed now? The dealerships I've called all say Ford recommends 5,000 mile oil changes but if that's so, then why have the maintenance minder? My wife has a Honda and they recommend only changing the oil when the minder goes off...which is somewhere between 8 and 10k miles depending on her driving. I just don't want to risk warranty issues if I dont.

Two, I currently have a OR/X with an AED tune and have heard stories where people, not necessarily Ford owners, have gone in and the tech plugs into the OBDII and either notices there's a tune or flashes the ecu, without the owners permission. With that possibly voiding the warranty.

So does anyone have any experience with either of my questions bc I'm a little unsure what I should do.

Thanks
I've always changed my own around 10% oil life. Don't know what the dealer does but I imagine the guy that changes the oil won't notice or care about any mods. This dude is probably only qualified to wash cars and change oil. And i use the word "qualified" very loosely. I had a friend when I was in HS that worked for a dealer and that's what he did.
1989 GRAY/SILVER AUTO GT
1988 RED GT
1989 WHITE LX 5.0 HATCH
NAVAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:08 PM   #3
Monolith

Is this 5200 miles total on the car or just 5200 you have put on it?

If its the first 5200 miles of the car then your past the break in period and need to change the oil, the first oil change is done early to get out all the excessive lubrication (zinc based for the engine building) out of the oil thats in it and replace it with 100% oil.

If it's got more than that then they just want flag hours and they are hoping to gouge you with extras while your there. Cost of oil is minor in a free oil change if they get you for more services while your there.

2012 Race Red Mustang 5.0 with JLT CAI, Catless midpipe, Pype X Pipe and Axle Backs. Bama Tuned. RTR chin splitter, Roush side effects and rear diffuser, and Steeda spoiler.
19" AMR's with Nero's.
Monolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 09:48 AM   #4
BlackStang08

I only go to the dealer for oil changes on the mustang. You really can't beat their price. They either have Motorcraft or Mobile1 and they have the Motorcraft oil filter (best). I use Motorcraft oil as well.

Never had a reflash issue, and there is absolutely no reason for them to plug into the OBDII. I schedule my appt and they get me in and out in about an hour. Bob Tomes has specials and coupons and the fourth oil change is free.

I change my oil every 3k, don't give a crap what they say. Service guys say I can go 5 to even 7.5k with full synthetic but it's based on my driving. I hammer the hell outta my car sometimes.

600rwhp 550rwtq - 93 Octane Tune

Last edited by BlackStang08; 02-01-2015 at 09:52 AM.
BlackStang08 is offline   Reply With Quote