Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 10-30-2013, 12:08 AM   #31
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

Originally Posted by Courtesy Flush View Post
fixed
Negative
I agree. A stick car shocks the tires MUCH harder and does it several times going down the track. With a big power stick car, the car is much more unsettled going down the track making it more of a challenge to ET well. A well running auto car is nothing more than just point and shoot. Which is great for a track car taking a lot of driver error out of the equation.
BLK2012GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:08 AM   #32
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

Originally Posted by BERT View Post
Who in the hell calls that cheating? Sounds like people who can't drive worth a shit
It takes human error out of the equation. Auto all you do is point and go.
I agree. A stick car shocks the tires MUCH harder and does it several times going down the track. With a big power stick car, the car is much more unsettled going down the track making it more of a challenge to ET well. A well running auto car is nothing more than just point and shoot. Which is great for a track car taking a lot of driver error out of the equation.
BLK2012GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:21 AM   #33
Mrjeremyt

I never regret it. Feels like I'm actually driving the car, not a computer. Guess you just gotta be a "driver". I mean there's gotta be a reason every manufacturer still makes a manual, including Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche, Aston, you name it. There are still actual drivers out there. Ya your auto can shift faster, but that will never take place of my reaction time. Because human error and interaction is 90% of actual driving, not that sissy shit.

94 F150 302
New project, thinking built, procharger, powerglide, tubbed, super sleeper
Mrjeremyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 07:33 AM   #34
fordplay

I love my stick, and my manual shift. If you are living your life a 1/4 mile at a time you want an auto, (ha ha I couldn't help it) other wise.. its a mustang!! An American icon!! An auto??? Wtf.. are your floor mats American flags?? I took my wife with me when we ordered ours, as we went down the order list the sales guy came to transmission, I turned to my wife and asked her if she wanted an auto, she dead cold slapped me in the face for insulting her and the car! Get an auto?? Might as well get the v6 .. select shift! Ha! If ford builds a true millisecond paddle shift setup maybe.. till then you keep your plus and minus rocker button shifter
fordplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:37 AM   #35
BV600

So would most of you manual guys say the gtr is a pussy car? Just curious I see a lot of people talk bad about autos but uptalk the gtr (not necessarily on here) that car is an auto with more electronic controllers than a gt.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:49 AM   #36
Dominic Toretto

Originally Posted by Mrjeremyt View Post
I mean there's gotta be a reason every manufacturer still makes a manual, including Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche, Aston, you name it.
Your information is incorrect unless you consider paddle shifters to be true manual transmissions.

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #37
Dominic Toretto

Originally Posted by BV600 View Post
So would most of you manual guys say the gtr is a pussy car? Just curious I see a lot of people talk bad about autos but uptalk the gtr (not necessarily on here) that car is an auto with more electronic controllers than a gt.
Seriously.

I'm sure they'll call a GTR a pussy car as they get walked in everything including a 662hp GT500 lol.

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Old 10-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #38
46Tbird

I'm just a throwback kinda dude. To me, a hot rod has three pedals. When driving easy, you might tach out a few extra hundred RPM before shifting - just because it sounds good. You blip the throttle to rev match coming into a corner, you nail powershifts coming out. If the light turns green and the chick in front of you is texting, you don't honk the horn. You throw a little rev.

Modern race cars have astounding performance with their dual clutch paddle shifted manualmatic gearboxes using air solenoids and hydraulic circuits to disengage one computer-modeled gear ratio and engage the next. Like nearly everything else, modern technology has made a simple thing like shifting much faster, more precise, more sterile, clinical, and... boring.

I get it that the autos are really REALLY good and really quick, but you'll never convince me they're more fun to drive. Even on a drag strip.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:24 AM   #39
03MachMe

There is a difference between a muscle car and an exotic. A paddle shift is ok for an exotic as it is part of the exotic experience. A muscle car should be a standard.

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
386rwhp/383rwtq
03MachMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #40
BERT
I love tube socks

Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
I'm just a throwback kinda dude. To me, a hot rod has three pedals. When driving easy, you might tach out a few extra hundred RPM before shifting - just because it sounds good. You blip the throttle to rev match coming into a corner, you nail powershifts coming out. If the light turns green and the chick in front of you is texting, you don't honk the horn. You throw a little rev.

Modern race cars have astounding performance with their dual clutch paddle shifted manualmatic gearboxes using air solenoids and hydraulic circuits to disengage one computer-modeled gear ratio and engage the next. Like nearly everything else, modern technology has made a simple thing like shifting much faster, more precise, more sterile, clinical, and... boring.

I get it that the autos are really REALLY good and really quick, but you'll never convince me they're more fun to drive. Even on a drag strip.

There is just something a LITTLE more impressive about that than hearing an auto go down the track
BERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:32 AM   #41
Dominic Toretto

Originally Posted by 03MachMe View Post
There is a difference between a muscle car and an exotic. A paddle shift is ok for an exotic as it is part of the exotic experience. A muscle car should be a standard.
I understand your point. But there are also other archaic designs that are just ridiculous to try to use against modern technology and claim "a ____ car needs to be."

Truth is, the market determines what ____ car needs to be. That's why Ferrari hasn't offered a manual in years, Porsche's most aggressive track car is now ONLY an automatic and the GTR is able to crush cars with much more power and slaughter cars (that on paper) should be faster around any track.

Time moves on. So to respectively counter "A muscle car should be a standard" I say "A muscle car should be able to effectively compete against the target cars" And that will not continue with a traditional manual transmission.

-Alex

Old 10-30-2013, 11:50 AM   #42
Sieran

Why do people argue over this? Some people like to drive a manual. Some people like to drive an auto.

It is not that hard to comprehend.

As far as performance, each has its own area to excel. The auto in this car is great for straight lines or maybe some light road course... but is nothing compared to say a DSG transmission that can shift up/down in less than half a second. They put one of those in these cars and I could see there being more of an argument to retire the manual.

Until then, each to their own.

I like my manual no matter how much I suck at the drag strip. I have fun driving it even if I am not breaking records.
Sieran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #43
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by 04sleeper View Post
Yep. Right after I hear all the MT-82 owners bitching about losing because the auto is considered "Cheating"!

No need to buy a twin disc clutch, bushings, shifter, stainless steel lines, etc....
LMAO, so true. In your case I can understand the auto. Big power cars just eat drivetrain parts like nothing to it. In my case, I have no intention of making more than 750rw and I drive like an old woman most of the time so I will enjoy rowing my gears until I'm old like you and need an auto.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:57 PM   #44
BV600

So the whole reason I made this thread was I miss the bangin of the Gears. I do think with a stall Id be more happy with my Auto, i'm not unhappy with it but if I hit the strip a little more would enjoy it if that makes sense.
My auto z28 with a stall gears cam nitrous was probably one of the most fun cars I've had and it was an auto, More than my 650ish hp 12 gt, my C5Z, and my stroker supercharged GTO.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:46 PM   #45
Grandpa
I> /\/\

A pussy car? Certainly not. It's a marvel of modern technology and a amazing machine in every aspect. BUT, I will tell you from personal experience driving a stock one and a heavily modded one - they are the most boring sports car I have ever driven in my life. The cars are SO stable and has so many technical on-board babysitters it's practically taken the driver out of the equation. My wife's 88 year old grandmother could seriously pilot one down the track and run a good number cuz the computers do everything but push down the go pedal and steer it.

In fact, the ONLY time the car feels fast is from a deadstop launch but then when it stabilizes after the first 60ft you lose that fast feeling cuz the computers are controlling everything.

Fast as hell? Absoultely.

Fun to drive? 2 out of 10.

Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post

Agreed and very well said, Danny.

Originally Posted by 03MachMe View Post
I agree, at least for a street car. Autos are great for the track, but you lose the feel of a car with an auto. An auto car to ME, feels very numb.

So the whole reason I made this thread was I miss the bangin of the Gears. I do think with a stall Id be more happy with my Auto, i'm not unhappy with it but if I hit the strip a little more would enjoy it if that makes sense.
My auto z28 with a stall gears cam nitrous was probably one of the most fun cars I've had and it was an auto, More than my 650ish hp 12 gt, my C5Z, and my stroker supercharged GTO.
Auto cars can be fast, no question about it, but it's still not the same. As stated above, just kind of ...numb.

Junkie (Will) is a perfect example of what can be done with an auto car. His CTS-V put a hurting on some FAST fuckin cars on the highway. Boost, spray and a nice stalled auto is very, very tough to beat. He was beating..no..destroying cars that were making a couple hundred more RW than he was, but they would lose a length or two on every shift and big HP stick cars shock the tires MUCH harder than an auto car does.

Meanwhile he is destroying all these cars, they are rowing gears and he his sitting there playing with the stereo controls on the steering wheel waiting to see if they are going to fetch him or not.

It comes down to personal preference. Like Junkie, you can go out and get a ton of kills with a auto car like his V. Winning races is fun no question about it. But even he has a his bolt on Viper to row gears with and he's having a blast with it.

I'm okay with being a lil slower, having to pedal my car for traction because I LOVE driving my car. If I wanted a boring point and shoot car, I would have gotten into electronic box bracket racing.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote