Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > Photos & Videos > Foxbody 5.0s

Foxbody 5.0s For the original 5.0s that started it all

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 12-04-2013, 01:06 AM   #31
Toby

Originally Posted by blownaltered View Post
What rods and pistons would you use with a short stroke 347? Would that be a 331 rod with the bigger 363 pistons?
Yes and no. A 347 and 331 both use the same rod but the compression height is different thus different pistons. normally you would use a 3.25 stroke crankshaft, along with a 5.4 rod and a 4.125 bore piston. Personally I would use a 3.25 stroke crankshaft, a sbc 5.7 rod, along with a set of custom built pistons that have the correct xompression height that will put you at a zero deck and 4.125 bore. Reason for the sbc rods, is because they are readily available and having the longer rod gives you a better rod angle thus less side load on the pistons and less pressure and friction on the cylinder walls which could equal a smoother runing engine that will last longer and make more power. but you will need to get a crank that has the rod journal cut to fit the 2.1" sbc rod journal rather then the conventional 2.123 sbf journal. most of the parts will be easy to get ots parts except the pistons. they may need to be custom made but i would have to do the math to figure the compression height needed along with the correct pin size, and ring placement and thickness for the application. I will have to do the math later but it would make a killer combo IMO!!
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #32
STROKD
Old School

What Toby said... i have basically that setup going in my car but it is a long rod big bore 351 instead of a 331... (374 cid vs 347). same concept, just larger block with a tad more stroke 3.5 vs 3.25.
Old 12-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #33
blownaltered
I have a small penis

Originally Posted by Toby View Post
Yes and no. A 347 and 331 both use the same rod but the compression height is different thus different pistons. normally you would use a 3.25 stroke crankshaft, along with a 5.4 rod and a 4.125 bore piston. Personally I would use a 3.25 stroke crankshaft, a sbc 5.7 rod, along with a set of custom built pistons that have the correct xompression height that will put you at a zero deck and 4.125 bore. Reason for the sbc rods, is because they are readily available and having the longer rod gives you a better rod angle thus less side load on the pistons and less pressure and friction on the cylinder walls which could equal a smoother runing engine that will last longer and make more power. but you will need to get a crank that has the rod journal cut to fit the 2.1" sbc rod journal rather then the conventional 2.123 sbf journal. most of the parts will be easy to get ots parts except the pistons. they may need to be custom made but i would have to do the math to figure the compression height needed along with the correct pin size, and ring placement and thickness for the application. I will have to do the math later but it would make a killer combo IMO!!

Now that sounds like something I would be interested in. I like the sound of that combo. How hard would it be to find a crank with those specs?
blownaltered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:20 PM   #34
Toby

Now that sounds like something I would be interested in. I like the sound of that combo. How hard would it be to find a crank with those specs?
Would not be a problem. It's all ots parts
Old 12-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #35
blownaltered
I have a small penis

Would not be a problem. It's all ots parts
Well I guess I am going Internet shopping. I want to start picking up parts here and there so I can get ready for my build.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #36
Toby

I would suggest Callie's crank and rods, wiseco pistons. Give us a call at the shop, I will help ensure you get the correct parts.

Toby
Old 12-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #37
blownaltered
I have a small penis

I would suggest Callie's crank and rods, wiseco pistons. Give us a call at the shop, I will help ensure you get the correct parts.

Toby
I just looked up Callie's crank and holy hell they are nice. But holy fuck they are expensive. That might be over kill for what I'm wanting to build. I'm not sure I will ever turn her up past 700 and if I do it won't be above 800.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #38
STROKD
Old School

Toby
Id reco Lunati or Sonny Bryant crank, Oliver or Carillo rods and Je or Venolia pistons... but it might be out of the budget.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #39
blownaltered
I have a small penis

Originally Posted by STROKD View Post
Id reco Lunati or Sonny Bryant crank, Oliver or Carillo rods and Je or Venolia pistons... but it might be out of the budget.
Callie cranks and lunati are the same price. The rods you mentioned are the same as Callie's as well. This isn't something I was going to buy all at one time, so the cost will be spread out a little but damn at this rate I'm looking at a 7k short block or more including machine work. The damn block I'm looking at is almost $2300. Damn the price of having fun.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:30 PM   #40
Toby

Originally Posted by STROKD View Post
All of that is waay over kill for his setup. The parts I mentioned Will be good for around 1100-1200 hp. Should give him plenty of room to grow should he choose. And IMO wiseco pistons are far superior to je in every way. The last 10 sets or so of je I have installed in the past year, I have been less then impressed with. Just my .02
Old 12-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #41
Toby

Callie cranks and lunati are the same price. The rods you mentioned are the same as Callie's as well. This isn't something I was going to buy all at one time, so the cost will be spread out a little but damn at this rate I'm looking at a 7k short block or more including machine work. The damn block I'm looking at is almost $2300. Damn the price of having fun.
Look into the Callie's comp star line. Those parts will more then suffice for your build.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:00 PM   #42
blownaltered
I have a small penis

Look into the Callie's comp star line. Those parts will more then suffice for your build.
That's better, damn those other were insane. I will say I like the dragonslayer crank as well by Callie. It's only about 500 more not 1100 more like the other cranks.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:18 PM   #43
Toby

That's better, damn those other were insane. I will say I like the dragonslayer crank as well by Callie. It's only about 500 more not 1100 more like the other cranks.
Yeah the dragon slayer stuff is badass, but over kill for your setup. The compstar stuff will easily hold 1k more then you will ever need. Will need to get them to grind the rod journals to a 2.100 but that is no issue. Stop by the shop one day and we can talk a little more in detail about this and get you setup with the correct parts.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:12 PM   #44
blownaltered
I have a small penis

Yeah the dragon slayer stuff is badass, but over kill for your setup. The compstar stuff will easily hold 1k more then you will ever need. Will need to get them to grind the rod journals to a 2.100 but that is no issue. Stop by the shop one day and we can talk a little more in detail about this and get you setup with the correct parts.
I will do that. I need to get a path started so that way when my motor lets go I will a have everything ready to build.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:04 PM   #45
blownaltered
I have a small penis

Damn being iced in sucks. I keep Internet shopping and it's killing me. So what are the opinions on head and intake setup for a short stroke 347. My current setup has Edelbrock Performer 170 heads and a Edelbrock performer intake with an e303 cam. I know the cam will go to something more custom but what heads and intake would be better. Or are these good enough for the time being?