Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > Photos & Videos > Other Makes and Models

Other Makes and Models Section for people who don't have 5.0s but still have badass cars. DFW 5.0s Welcomes everyone

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 10-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #31
Dominic Toretto

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
Im not saying it is. Im saying thats what you going pay topay unless you find a dealer that is willing to sell it to you at cost. Shelby's are going through the samething.
Exactly, we are on the same page .

My point was never, what someone chooses to pay for it. It was always, the actual price of the car, which was the debate.

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:58 PM   #32
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto View Post
Exactly, we are on the same page .

My point was never, what someone chooses to pay for it. It was always, the actual price of the car, which was the debate.

-Alex
I probally should of said MSRP instead of cost. ehhhh
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #33
Dominic Toretto

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3VlFXABzyc

No back seat, reduced interior comfort like the Z/28 i.e. track car.
Basic radio (just like Z/28).
Comes with a special key that adjusts engine parameters for the track i.e. track car.

So I guess in one perspective the Z/28 is more of a daily driver car since it has a back-seat.

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Old 10-20-2013, 07:29 PM   #34
re-rx7
Banned

Only 1000 laguna were ever produced. Its just funny to me that they compare it to a LRA car. Lol
Old 10-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #35
Dominic Toretto

Only 1000 laguna were ever produced. Its just funny to me that they compare it to a LRA car. Lol
Camaros and Mustangs have been direct competitors for decades.

-Alex

Old 10-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #36
re-rx7
Banned

Im waiting for the new stangs to cone out. Its gna be 600lbs lighter. Weight is everything.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:39 PM   #37
Dominic Toretto

From Chevrolet.com

"
SACRIFICE ALL IN THE NAME OF PERFORMANCE.

The legendary Camaro Z/28 is back for the 2014 model year. Originally introduced in 1967, Camaro Z/28 was designed specifically to compete in the Sports Car Club of America's Trans-Am 2 class. Lightweight, nimble and incredibly powerful, the original Z/28 was designed ideally for road racing. The 2014 Z/28 carries the same racing credentials, running a lap around the Nürburgring track with an impressive 7:37.40 time in inclement weather.

POWERTRAIN

A hand-assembled LS7 engine powers the Camaro Z/28, boasting an incredible 505 horsepower and 481 lb.-ft. of torque, making it the most powerful normally aspirated regular production small block V8 ever. The highest-quality parts and precision assembly elevate the redline level to 7000 rpm.

Durable, lightweight components such as titanium intake valves and connecting rods coupled with a forged-steel crankshaft make the LS7 engine incredibly robust. The standard 10.5-quart, dry-sump oil system distributes pressurized oil from an external reservoir to protect vital components under high-g driving conditions.

The LS7 is mated to a TREMEC® TR6060 6-speed manual gearbox that features close-ratio gearing - optimized for the engine’s power characteristics. The TREMEC is coupled with a 5.1:1-ratio short-throw shifter to ensure quick and precise shifts

Power is distributed to the rear wheels via a limited-slip differential, which features a helical gear set rather than traditional clutch packs that continuously adjusts torque bias allowing drivers to confidently lay down more power to get through corners faster. Coupled with the Performance Traction Management (PTM) system, drivers can adjust the level of throttle and brake intervention to match their capability and driving environment, essentially making PTM custom to each driving situation.

Z/28 features a cooling system designed for the track — standard. This incorporates the dry-sump oil system of the LS7, which connects to an integral liquid-to-liquid cooling system for engine oil. Another liquid-to-liquid system provides cooling for the transmission and differential.

BODY

The 2014 Camaro Z/28 pays homage to the exterior of the original legend while capitalizing on 21st century design elements and technology. Z/28 was born to be a functional instrument for the track, utilizing best practices and influences learned through racing.

Camaro Z/28 has aerodynamic treatments designed to produce downforce — specifically at track speeds. A large splitter connects to an underbody panel to further reduce lift. Fender flares over the front and rear wheels and extended rocker panels contribute to aerodynamic stability. Z/28 also features an aggressive rear spoiler and functional diffuser to complete the fully integrated aerodynamic package.

CHASSIS

The tires on Camaro Z/28 are robust and massive Pirelli® PZERO™ Trofeo R† 305/30ZR19 summer-only tires† — ideal for lateral motions, like corner entry and exit.

Camaro Z/28 features lightweight Brembo® carbon Ceramic Matrix™ rotors and fixed, monoblock calipers. The huge 394 x 36 mm front rotors are paired with 6-piston calipers, while the 390 x 32 mm rear rotors are paired with 4-piston calipers. Compared to similar-size two-piece steel rotors, the lightweight and large carbon calipers save 22 pounds, while encouraging impressive stopping power and heat toleration — ideal for track use.

Camaro Z/28 is one of the first production cars to feature race-proven spool-valve dampers. The spool-valve damper allows 4-way adjustment to precisely tune both bump and rebound settings for high-speed and low-speed wheel motions. The wider tuning range dramatically increases the damper stiffness on Camaro Z/28 without significantly impacting ride quality.

INTERIOR

The all-new driver and front passenger racing seats are designed by RECARO®. Aggressive bolsters ensure both passenger and driver remain firmly planted, even in high-energy driving situations. A flat-bottom steering wheel opens leg room for entry and exit, as well as quicker heel/toe shifting. A short-throw shifter allow for rapid, confident shifting."

-Alex

Old 10-20-2013, 10:43 PM   #38
re-rx7
Banned

Cant wait for that new all motor shelby. Then ford will own that as well lol.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #39
saunupe1911

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto View Post
I respected your post up until this

Okay, so we've gone from "it's not in the same class because no AC or radio" when you can buy a Z/28 with both, to now it's not in the same class because of thin glass or sound deadening? Are you serious? No one in the Corvette community or any other forum I've been on has ever made this many excuses. C5Zs had thinner glass for windshields when comparing them to Porsche turbos, Ferrari 360s etc. No one in those forums complains about pricing either. If the car performs, it performs.

What's the next excuse? Oh, GM uses a different paint code, so it's not in the same category? Disregard all of the blatant similarities and the fact that both cars are built for the track, if the car doesn't give you a BJ then it's not in the same category.

-Alex
The Boss LS is street car that can be raced on the track. The Z/28 is track car that can be licensed on the street. They are truly 2 different classes of car. That's just my opinion.

So now lets look at some factual stuff rather than a bunch of opinions. Grab a Boss 302 S (or BOSS 302 R) and put it side by side with the Z/28. They have the same options. See for yourself. The only difference is a roll cage. Again, the Z/28 is nothing but a street legal GS.R with optional AC and a little bit of interior. So I'm impressed by the official lap times of the Z/28, but I'm also not surprised since I see this caliber of car race on Fox Sports once a month.

And again this generation is over! No one is going to challenge GM and this car simply because they have moved on. GM better start working on that Alpha platform rather than building special edition track cars at the end of it's generation.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/compe...osscompare.asp

Bottom line, the car is a beast but I'm not impressed because I've already seen what a stripped down version of the car could do. That's my spill on this subject. I'm moving on because December is real close!!!!

Last edited by saunupe1911; 10-21-2013 at 11:42 AM.
saunupe1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 12:08 PM   #40
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by saunupe1911 View Post
The Boss LS is street car that can be raced on the track. The Z/28 is track car that can be licensed on the street. They are truly 2 different classes of car. That's just my opinion.

So now lets look at some factual stuff rather than a bunch of opinions. Grab a Boss 302 S (or BOSS 302 R) and put it side by side with the Z/28. They have the same options. See for yourself. The only difference is a roll cage. Again, the Z/28 is nothing but a street legal GS.R with optional AC and a little bit of interior. So I'm impressed by the official lap times of the Z/28, but I'm also not surprised since I see this caliber of car race on Fox Sports once a month.

And again this generation is over! No one is going to challenge GM and this car simply because they have moved on. GM better start working on that Alpha platform rather than building special edition track cars at the end of it's generation.

Bottom line, the car is a beast but I'm not impressed because I've already seen what a stripped down version of the car could do. That's my spill on this subject. I'm moving on because December is real close!!!!
Good post. I believe the new mustang is gonna be a force to be reckoned with.
Old 10-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #41
Dominic Toretto

Originally Posted by saunupe1911 View Post

Track cars, don't meet the same safety standards as street cars.
Track cars can't be registered to be driven on the street.

The GS.R you are referring to, does it have the same amount of air bags, if any as the Z/28? Does it meet the same crash testing standards as the Z/28?

-Alex

Old 10-21-2013, 12:51 PM   #42
re-rx7
Banned

So basically what your saying is that the Z28 is the baddest street car in its price range? Im gna ask you this....How many people actually take their cars to the track. Not just people you know personally but in general. Very very few. Track Fees are alot more then Drag strip fees. Its nice to know it can circle the track in German in so many par secs but at the end of the day most people that buy these will use them on the street. If you run across a your buddy who just bought a new shelby for the same money your not gna say " follow me to the track".
Old 10-21-2013, 12:54 PM   #43
DirtyD

Fact of the matter is that GM beat a car with "outdated" technology, wider and track appropriate tires, and more power. Yay?

The SRA Boss LS ran all of it's times on streetable "R"-ish compound tires in a 255/285 setup.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #44
Dominic Toretto

So basically what your saying is that the Z28 is the baddest street car in its price range? Im gna ask you this....How many people actually take their cars to the track. Not just people you know personally but in general. Very very few. Track Fees are alot more then Drag strip fees. Its nice to know it can circle the track in German in so many par secs but at the end of the day most people that buy these will use them on the street. If you run across a your buddy who just bought a new shelby for the same money your not gna say " follow me to the track".
I never claimed the Z/28 was the baddest car ever. I just posted this thread for people interested in the car. That was it. I'm a car enthusiast and like several types of cars, not just Fords. Plenty of people measure performance based on track times. If the Mustang went around a track faster than a Camaro, how many people here would have bashed the car?

-Alex

Old 10-21-2013, 01:04 PM   #45
Dominic Toretto

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
Fact of the matter is that GM beat a car with "outdated" technology, wider and track appropriate tires, and more power. Yay?

The SRA Boss LS ran all of it's times on streetable "R"-ish compound tires in a 255/285 setup.
Were you expecting them to beat the car using less power, technology from the 90s and winter tires?

-Alex