Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Performance

Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 02-25-2014, 06:31 PM   #31
Soulowd

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
1) Just because it fits, doesn't mean it will perform as it was intended to, especially when talking about the sidewall.

2) Running a DR on a stick car is asking for something to break sooner than later.

I don't know many people running the Sport comps, but I can tell you there are plenty of people running the Conti DW that love them, and they are basically a cheaper version of the MPSS.
True...I have heard really good things about the Conti DW's plus they have a 50,000 mile rating. That means it should atleast get me to 15k

1993 Cobra Black
Bbk shorty's, x-pipe, Flowmasters, bbk TB, bbk Cai,
UD pullies
(240rwhp/280rwtq)
Soulowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 06:33 PM   #32
DirtyD

Originally Posted by Soulowd View Post
True...I have heard really good things about the Conti DW's plus they have a 50,000 mile rating. That means it should atleast get me to 15k
No, you are thinking about the DWS. The DWS is the all season version of the DW. The DW is the summer tire. Michelin is the only company that has a mileage warranty on their summer tire, the Pilot Super Sport. Even then it's a 30k mile warranty, or 15k if you stagger the sizes. They don't warranty summer tires because of the low thread rating, plus some people actually use them to road race on, wearing them down faster.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:51 PM   #33
DallasGator

1) Just because it fits, doesn't mean it will perform as it was intended to, especially when talking about the sidewall.

2) Running a DR on a stick car is asking for something to break sooner than later.

I don't know many people running the Sport comps, but I can tell you there are plenty of people running the Conti DW that love them, and they are basically a cheaper version of the MPSS.
I don't know why my edit didn't go through but I changed my plans:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....kes&tab=Survey

255 front 275 rear.

I've also read an article on what "Summer tire" means. According to the writer, it is basically a tire that can perform in anything but snow/ice. However, there seems to be no rule on how to classify the tire. I just figured a tire with very good reviews AND 500 treadwear is pretty fantastic. I drive 30-40 highway miles a day so I think the extra life will be helpful.

Last edited by DallasGator; 02-25-2014 at 09:54 PM.
DallasGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:22 AM   #34
Dominic Toretto

I've got BFG Sport Comp 2 XLs on my car. 255s and 285s. I like them.

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:50 AM   #35
Brn N Rubr

I love my Continue DW 285/35-19 all around. Quiet, comfortable and improved traction! And reasonably priced!!!
Old 03-06-2014, 12:32 PM   #36
Soulowd

well just bought some Continental extreme contact DW for the stang. should get them in a few days pretty stoked

1993 Cobra Black
Bbk shorty's, x-pipe, Flowmasters, bbk TB, bbk Cai,
UD pullies
(240rwhp/280rwtq)
Soulowd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:53 PM   #37
DirtyD

Originally Posted by Soulowd View Post
well just bought some Continental extreme contact DW for the stang. should get them in a few days pretty stoked
You will be happy with them for sure.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:08 AM   #38
5PointSlow

I run 295/30/19 toyo R888s. I wish they came in a 35 or even a 285 but they don't and I was told these tires hook like a mofo. My buddy wasn't lying. They flat hook from a roll on the street. I wasn't home long enough to get them on the track to see how they do there. first gear is fairly useless in my car with them on the street but 2nd is good to go. These tires finally helped kill my stock clutch (its slipping now) so itll be going to truestreet when I get home for a new RXT and dynatech DS.

SOLD!
2012 Kona Blue GT Premium
Roush TVS/JLT Big Air
Stainless Works Long Tubes and catted X.
Magnaflow Competition Catback
AED Tuned
***Driver Mod***
10.88@134 on street tires
5PointSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 10:23 AM   #39
Crimson600+HP

I decided on the DW's a while back before I even needed another set of tires. My reasoning behind is was there performance/price. Easily the Michelin Pilot Super Sports are the best summer only tire out there, every magazine and reviewer agrees with that statement. They are an industry standard, but they are never on sale and cost a pretty penny.

After the PSS, according to TireRack and other testers, there is a cluttered field of 2nd placers. Pole Position S04's, the Conti DW's, and the others falling behind those two. At that point, it all comes down to which tire has the size you want. Conti's are known for a great road manners tire with decent handling/traction in performance driving. The Pole Position S04's are rated better at handling/traction, but suffer a little more for road manners. All are negligible though unless you are a serious driver. Heck, even pros can barely tell a difference.

Needless to say, right now you can get the Conti DW's for a great price and a free Ion Camcorder (some Go-Pro Type thing) or a $70 credit card bring the price down a little more.
ProCharger P1SC Stage 2|Full Suspension|New Plans: NA CJ Intake Manifold/OR H Pipe/3.73 Gears
Road Raced|Auto-X'd
Drag Raced|12.4s @ 119.7
Texas Mile|1/2 Mile: 140.3|1 Mile: 166.4|She had more in her!
Crimson600+HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:17 PM   #40
DirtyD

If I can save enough money, my next tire setup, if my plan works as I hope it does, will be a set of Hankook Ventus RS-3s with some 18x10 wheels to go on them.

If not, I will probably just stick with the brembo wheels and get some 285/35/19 Conti DW all around.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:03 PM   #41
re-rx7
Banned

Never usnderstood why people pay for grippy low wear tires when they may actually use them the way intended 10% of the time. Not my money but just curious as to why?
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:13 PM   #42
DirtyD

When I bought my PSS, I intended to get into AutoX sooner and more often than I have done so. That's because I ended up getting a dog, huge time factor, and other life things took priority. If I could go back, I would've bought other tires, saved some money, and probably still be in the same boat. With that said, I will easily get 20k+ out of these tires, which will be more than the Pirellis, which were roughly the same cost, so I'm coming out on top.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #43
re-rx7
Banned

When I bought my PSS, I intended to get into AutoX sooner and more often than I have done so. That's because I ended up getting a dog, huge time factor, and other life things took priority. If I could go back, I would've bought other tires, saved some money, and probably still be in the same boat. With that said, I will easily get 20k+ out of these tires, which will be more than the Pirellis, which were roughly the same cost, so I'm coming out on top.
20k is good for any sport tire IMO. If I can get 20k Im usually happy.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:24 PM   #44
Crimson600+HP

I always thought the same thing. Hence why after I ruined the stock set after 10K hard miles (many drag runs, couple auto-x events, and 6 days of track events, plus the regular driving), I decided to pick up a track dedicated set. Now I run a high performance all season (50K rating) daily and have the set of summer only's as my track set. Cost more up front, but money will be saved as the track set should last 2-3 years at minimum once I start using them. Better than changing every year IMO.
ProCharger P1SC Stage 2|Full Suspension|New Plans: NA CJ Intake Manifold/OR H Pipe/3.73 Gears
Road Raced|Auto-X'd
Drag Raced|12.4s @ 119.7
Texas Mile|1/2 Mile: 140.3|1 Mile: 166.4|She had more in her!
Crimson600+HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 05:25 PM   #45
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by Crimson600+HP View Post
I always thought the same thing. Hence why after I ruined the stock set after 10K hard miles (many drag runs, couple auto-x events, and 6 days of track events, plus the regular driving), I decided to pick up a track dedicated set. Now I run a high performance all season (50K rating) daily and have the set of summer only's as my track set. Cost more up front, but money will be saved as the track set should last 2-3 years at minimum once I start using them. Better than changing every year IMO.
I completely agree with this and I think that is the better idea.