Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Performance

Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #46
DirtyD

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the thing about pump gas is that is can vary in octane more than E85 can, and can also have a crap load of trash in it depending on station. E85 tolerances are a lot more strict it seems.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:39 PM   #47
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by 46Tbird View Post
I'm not an E85 guy.

For the money, it's hard to beat E85 as a high-octane fuel. And that doesn't even factor in the inherent cooler operating temps and cylinder temps from running it as compared to race fuel. Those 9- and 8-second cars are drivable on the street. Once you get into the 7- and 6-second realm, there is no longer a pretense that the car will be driven on the street. So on a car like that, the compression goes up, the boost goes up, the timing gets aggressive, and you run a dedicated race fuel.

I'm sorry to hear you're disappointed in the mileage, but I think your 13:1 engine is going to have a helluva time trying to run on pump gas even with the computer doing all its cam timing, fuel trim, and spark advance tricks to keep detonation in check.

Originally Posted by Bearded Banger View Post
Being able to get 105 octane at the pump for the cost compared to a race gas cost is a huge factor.
You get nearly all the benefits for a hell of a lot cheaper. On top of that its more available.
No goes E85 for the mpgs. That's a well known fact. I wanted to protection level it offers. I wouldn't throw your drivo issues at e85 and walk away. You may have issues on a 93/torco blend too. How are you going to consistently get the octane rating your engine needs blending torco and 93? Serious question. Curious as to what your plan is. 10 gallons one can situation? I don't trust that.
Very solid points, fellas.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #48
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

I tried it so I can hate on it. It didn't work out for me. Hopefully this will. So you can't say I didn't try e85.
I agree. A stick car shocks the tires MUCH harder and does it several times going down the track. With a big power stick car, the car is much more unsettled going down the track making it more of a challenge to ET well. A well running auto car is nothing more than just point and shoot. Which is great for a track car taking a lot of driver error out of the equation.
BLK2012GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:59 PM   #49
Bearded Banger

Originally Posted by BLK2012GT View Post
I tried it so I can hate on it. It didn't work out for me. Hopefully this will. So you can't say I didn't try e85.
I also did the torco thing and hated it. I really don't care what anybody runs in their cars. E85 has worked out well for me and I will staying with it. If all the pieces are in place, setup properly, and tuned properly its the best bang for buck IMO.
Bearded Banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:02 PM   #50
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by Bearded Banger View Post
I also did the torco thing and hated it. I really don't care what anybody runs in their cars. E85 has worked out well for me and I will staying with it. If all the pieces are in place, setup properly, and tuned properly its the best bang for buck IMO.
My next step will be longtubes and a E85 tune. Then calling out Nick to lose some more races to him. lol.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:10 PM   #51
DirtyD

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
My next step will be longtubes and a E85 tune. Then calling out Nick to lose some more races to him. lol.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #52
04sleeper
King of the Multi-quotes

I'm switching back to pump gas and adding torco to mine. My mpg sucked cause of e85. Even though I don't drive it that much, going to lewisville from frisco and back I use 1/4 of a tank. That's BS. Plus the drivability on the car sucked with e85. So I don't know if changing to 13:1 compression had anything to do with the drivability issue but I will not be running e85 again.
Good! Just leaves more for us!

And if e85 is soooooooo great how come none of the true race cars run it? Jus wondering.
Because most sanctioning bodies don't allow it. They consider it cheating.

I did pro e85 and they run 8's and 9's. still no 6's or 7's I didn't do a complete search but people been doing that shit for years on race gas. So nothing special. I still don't see how e85 is so much better then everything else. Sounds like you e85 guys are turning into the "new" LS1 guys.
They have been doing that shit for years on E85 as well.

Here's one of my good friends street car.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8WTHrojnms

Try this on Torco!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpO8w2X15zU

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
The 275x guys probably don't use it because their motors are built to work most efficient and most powerful off pure race gas and boost than anything else.

That would honestly be a question for Clint as to why they don't run it. Plus E85 only gives around 105 octane, and those guys are wanting like 120.
No. It's because most races won't allow it.

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
The same goes for E85 you really never know if that is really E85. Its hit and miss. When I had my rx7 I premixed. Oil and that is and had a pretty gd ratio worked out.
Doesn't matter even if it were E70. It will still make more power and be more consistent.

BTW: I wouldn't run Torco in my lawnmower!

Unless you want your heads to look like this from all the MMT.

Or your plugs to look like this.

04sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #53
Bearded Banger

Lol, and Kevin wins again.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #54
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

So every car looks like that or that happen to one car and they happen to run torco. If that happens to everyone then wouldn't they be out of business and no performance shop would sell it?
I agree. A stick car shocks the tires MUCH harder and does it several times going down the track. With a big power stick car, the car is much more unsettled going down the track making it more of a challenge to ET well. A well running auto car is nothing more than just point and shoot. Which is great for a track car taking a lot of driver error out of the equation.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #55
DirtyD

Originally Posted by 04sleeper View Post
No. It's because most races won't allow it.
Or that too. LOL
Old 07-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #56
Grandpa
I> /\/\

So every car looks like that or that happen to one car and they happen to run torco. If that happens to everyone then wouldn't they be out of business and no performance shop would sell it?
Not really, because it's an after thought for most people. If you run Torco, your motor will look like that in time. It's a by-product of Torco.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #57
Bearded Banger

Exactly what my plugs looked like when I mixed. Maybe not quite that bad, but pretty much. I had too at the time. No other choice.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #58
04sleeper
King of the Multi-quotes

Every car will look like that with prolonged use of Torco. This is nothing new. It will turn your plugs, valves, heads and exhaust brown.

Over time, the MMT will build up in the cylinders and could lead to "Hot Spots" if and when Torco is not used.

It won't hurt my feelings if you don't want to run E85. I just want to help you understand there are drawbacks with anything.
04sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #59
BLK2012GT
Scared to race Steve

Right and I appreciate everyone's input. I'm new to the e85 and running torco stuff to. I just want what's best for my engine and won't give me any problems. I tried the e85 and it was a problem. I'm going this route now and if I don't like it for whatever reason then I guess I have no choice then to switch back.
Old 07-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #60
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Right and I appreciate everyone's input. I'm new to the e85 and running torco stuff to. I just want what's best for my engine and won't give me any problems. I tried the e85 and it was a problem. I'm going this route now and if I don't like it for whatever reason then I guess I have no choice then to switch back.
On Torco, I suggest changing your plugs and oil often(more so than usual). Especially after nights at the track where you are spraying it a lot. Torco was all the rage back when the Terminators first came out. I had a couple of Terminator friends who will go unnamed (haha!) that used Torco so much that one blew a couple of motors and another one who had a plug seize up in the head due to it being so corroded from not changing them often enough on Torco.