Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #16
DirtyD

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Very nice explaination Toby.

In the current state of the hobby, there is way too much emphasis put on dyno numbers. It's just a tool to tune a car, but more often than not it's used as a way to equate how fast a car is going to be which isn't true at all. The only true way to do that is race.
I see it as a comparison tool. You can use it to measure gains from mods, that you can then couple with track times to back to those power gains.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:51 PM   #17
Toby

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
I see it as a comparison tool. You can use it to measure gains from mods, that you can then couple with track times to back to those power gains.
I think what steve is trying to say is what a car puts down at the tires has nothing to do with what i might run at the track. For example with an auto trans, if the converter is not locked during a pull, it can affect the numbers by as much as 20-30 hp, now let me emphasis on the CAN part. Also things like the stall speed of an aftermarket converter will affect the dyno numbers. Dynos were invented as a useful tool to assist in tuning a car, diagnosis a problem, properly calibrating a speedometer, etc. They are used for much much more then just finding a number.
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:53 AM   #18
DirtyD

Originally Posted by Toby View Post
I think what steve is trying to say is what a car puts down at the tires has nothing to do with what i might run at the track. For example with an auto trans, if the converter is not locked during a pull, it can affect the numbers by as much as 20-30 hp, now let me emphasis on the CAN part. Also things like the stall speed of an aftermarket converter will affect the dyno numbers. Dynos were invented as a useful tool to assist in tuning a car, diagnosis a problem, properly calibrating a speedometer, etc. They are used for much much more then just finding a number.
Gotcha. In that sense, I agree.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:41 AM   #19
Dan12GT

There are so many variables that WILL cause numbers to be different its un real. You can almost literally make a dyno read any number you wish.
This is why I felt it was so strange I made exactly the same HP number. Anyways, thanks for the lesson on dynos Toby!
Dan12GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:30 AM   #20
Toby

Originally Posted by Dan12GT View Post
This is why I felt it was so strange I made exactly the same HP number. Anyways, thanks for the lesson on dynos Toby!
Anytime!
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote