Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:25 AM   #16
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by BLK2012GT View Post
Yea when I get tired of this setup I have which won't be anytime soon. I'll sell as whole engine and all and get an aluminator and a 4.5l whipple.
That would be nuts and fun as hell! PD blowers are so much fun in a street car its ridiculous. Foof's 3.4 whipple is a blast and scary. I cant imagine a 4.5 on full tilt!
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:06 AM   #17
downtime!

LOL you just want a smooth running car.
More than you can imagine!
Old 08-31-2013, 02:08 AM   #18
downtime!

Originally Posted by wbt View Post
I have been completely unimpressed with the KB's on the 5.0. Roush and Whipple have produced the best positive displacement results which indicate they are much more efficient in design.

Paxton is king of the centri.

I wouldn't mind having a Paxton on my car some day. Maybe when I am done with the N/A stuff.
Yeah, me too. Mine only runs high 10's at 8 psi on the baby 2.8LC and a shitty tune. And don't get me started about the shop owners car who installed mine. He has to get by with a measly 900 hp and 8.80's out of his. KB's suck.
Old 08-31-2013, 02:26 AM   #19
Stangmaster281

Yea when I get tired of this setup I have which won't be anytime soon. I'll sell as whole engine and all and get an aluminator and a 4.5l whipple.
I didn't know they made a 4.5l. I thought it went 4.0, 5.0, then 8.3 being the biggest. Learn something new everyday here. @Justin Caprisun now with whipple flavor.

Last edited by Stangmaster281; 08-31-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Stangmaster281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:36 AM   #20
merlinmol

I have been completely unimpressed with the KB's on the 5.0. Roush and Whipple have produced the best positive displacement results which indicate they are much more efficient in design.

Paxton is king of the centri.

I wouldn't mind having a Paxton on my car some day. Maybe when I am done with the N/A stuff.
You forgot to put Magnuson in the list.
merlinmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:51 AM   #21
wbt

Originally Posted by downtime! View Post
Yeah, me too. Mine only runs high 10's at 8 psi on the baby 2.8LC and a shitty tune. And don't get me started about the shop owners car who installed mine. He has to get by with a measly 900 hp and 8.80's out of his. KB's suck.
My N/A car runs 10.8's. Color me unimpressed.

Your shop owner isn't running 8's on a stock long block. Both the Paxton and Roush TVS have run 9's on stock long blocks. No KB kit on the 5.0 has come close to matching that.

Don't mistake what I said, my reference is for the 5.0 only. The KB's have proven themselves on the older 5.4 and 4.6 applications. Just not the case on the newer 5.0.

Originally Posted by merlinmol View Post
You forgot to put Magnuson in the list.
Agreed. Their horrible intake design is the limitation on that kit.
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:31 AM   #22
re-rx7
Banned

Your shop owner isn't running 8's on a stock long block. Both the Paxton and Roush TVS have run 9's on stock long blocks. No KB kit on the 5.0 has come close to matching that.

Don't mistake what I said, my reference is for the 5.0 only. The KB's have proven themselves on the older 5.4 and 4.6 applications. Just not the case on the newer 5.0.
Yes his MPH was pretty high and the tune was crap.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:06 AM   #23
downtime!

Agreed. Their horrible intake design is the limitation on that kit.
It ran 131 mph, I just can't keep up with the shifts with my bad shoulder anymore. There's an auto swap in her future. And I never said that 900 came on the stock long block. I'm sure the KB could do it, but for every 1 KB you see out there, there are 100 Roush or Paxton cars. Much harder to get decent stats if no one is really running your product. Shelby seemed to like them enough for the Super Snake projects. But they are junk, I understand. And I'm actually less impressed with the KB stuff on the older cars. My kit, right out of the box, with no changes at all (stock pulley, factory throttle body, etc.) made enough power to go 10.80's at 131. Color me impressed. Wonder what she'll do when get around to turning it up? The bottom line is, everyone has an opinion, and that's great. It's exactly what's kept me doing this for the last 35 years. Not everyone has the same ideas, or does the same things. Keeps it interesting.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:09 AM   #24
downtime!

And I would agree about the Magnuson as well, except that I have a buddy in Michigan with a CJ clone he built in his garage, and for whatever reason, he chose the Magnuson kit (I think because it came in blue, to be honest). His car runs bottom 10's all day long in 2100-2300 D/A, and once he really get's it dialed in, mid 9's will be in his future. Again, overall, something might suck, but you can be sure that someone, somewhere, has figured out how to make it fast.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:20 AM   #25
zemog255

He went 9s on 18s with the stock motor and stock converter. Full weight premium. I believe he posted its gone 6.19 or 6.20's with the built motor still on 18s. He doesn't post on forums much.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:57 AM   #26
downtime!

Originally Posted by zemog255 View Post
He went 9s on 18s with the stock motor and stock converter. Full weight premium. I believe he posted its gone 6.19 or 6.20's with the built motor still on 18s. He doesn't post on forums much.
Pretty sure 8.8x's is his best so far. Car is pretty sick for a full weight automatic car with stock converter.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:10 PM   #27
re-rx7
Banned

full weight automatic car with stock converter.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:11 PM   #28
zemog255

Pretty sure 8.8x's is his best so far. Car is pretty sick for a full weight automatic car with stock converter.
I meant in the 1/8th. Still very impressive I wish he would go to one of the big races with evolution, beefcake etc I think he would do pretty well.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:47 PM   #29
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Any supercharger will work well enough on these cars to put them into the 10s. It really comes down to personal preference and budget.

Personally KB and Magnuson would be on the bottom of my list. KB has horrible customer service and Magnuson's support on their Mustang products is really subpar. While the Magnuson is capable of making decent power it is the most inefficient of the bunch requiring to be spun harder to make the same power the others do out of the box while still carrying the hefty price tag.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:06 PM   #30
Toby

We just finished a procharger install. P1 10 lbs, headers, and our custom tune it made 594 473 in todays 100* heat and 20% humidity.. My personal preference
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote