Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-15-2014, 11:34 PM   #11
kdanner

Originally Posted by downtime! View Post
I'll take that bet. We both start from scratch, you do your GT in its current form, I'll do my Scamp in its current form, and we race when we're done. You have 1 hour to do your best. Or worst. As the case may be.
I'd have to say why not start with both of them in 100% stock form? Then how long does it take you to do the work just to catch up with the newer car which is still in its stock form?

Originally Posted by downtime! View Post
You get a pass since you've obviously taken the time to learn the in's and out's of a modern cars spark and fuel tables.
It's just air, fuel, and spark. Old or new. I've still got boxes of Holley jets and gaskets around here somewhere. I think the thing is the new stuff is viewed as some kind of black magic by many, and that just isn't the case. I see it as easier, I can sure make a calibration change and reflash quicker than I ever could tear the bowls off the carb and put them back, then get a timing light out and change the base timing, let alone changing the weights/springs for the mechanical advance. Plus I'm more likely to actually make the right change due to having data instead of guessing what the older car wants.

Now, would I rather put headers on your A body than put them on an S197? Hell yes. But by the same token I'd rather put them on an S197 than a 68-70 428CJ car. Would I rather put an oil pump on a big block Mopar than about anything else in the world, yes. We can play that kind of game all day.
kdanner is offline   Reply With Quote