Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 09-29-2013, 10:23 PM   #1
downtime!

Default Car is 100% legal again, finally.

Getting this beast inspected was truly a beat down. I added the catted x pipe while she was at GH getting retuned, but that was only a small portion of the story.

Took her in to get the sticker, and had 5 Not Ready's. Cats, EVAP, Fuel, O2's and Heated O2's. Cleared a couple of CEL's and that didn't help. Took it back to Travis and by the time I got to the shop, only had 2 Not Ready's.

Headed back to the place, and this time, I had 8 Not Ready's (WTF!?). Cleared CEL's again, and got back to the original 5 NR's. Went home. Pissed.

Got online and downloaded the Ford recommended OBD2 drive cycle routine, and prepped myself for the next days festivities.

Got up early this morning and headed out to complete the drive cycle. It consists of several, very strictly regimented driving scenarios (idle vehicle for 15 seconds, then drive at 40 mph for until ECT is at least 170 degrees, Check IAT's to be between 40 and 100 degrees, then drive car 40 mph for 4 minutes, drive at 45-65 mph for 10 minutes, drive in stop and go traffic for 10 minutes, varying speeds from 25 to 45 mph, etc) and so on and so on. I had my route planned so that at the end of the last scenario, I would be at the sticker place.

Pulled in, they hooked the car right up, and it passed with flying colors! Which is really odd to me, since the EVAP system throws codes for the "system is not sealed" ever since the seal on the capless gas cap fell into the tank right after I bought the car (thanks for that Ford!).

But at least the sticker is in place and good to go for another year.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:04 PM   #2
Dominic Toretto

Sounds like you had a fun time.

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 11:34 PM   #3
maxpayne

Damn. That sucks but at least you passed!

It is so much easier to pass inspections in Lousisiana. LA doesn't even have emissions tests. Haha. But, now that I am a Texan, I better get used to it.
Old 09-30-2013, 01:06 AM   #4
downtime!

Honestly, the way they do it now is kind of bullshit, IMHO. My car is clean as hell, emissions wise, but it wouldn't matter since they don't do sniffer tests anymore. Just plug in to the OBD2 port and read the parameters.

But yeah, the main thing is the sticker is now on the window, so all is good.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:17 PM   #5
G-Mann

That was a pain in the ass but at least you are good for another year.