Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 04-12-2014, 03:11 PM   #1
Bacadiesel

Default I need help launching at the track

Can someone teach me. Go to the track with me.
Bacadiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:21 PM   #2
Brn N Rubr

For a relatively stock street tire car (assuming a manual transmission) the goal isn't to dump the clutch. Hold at around 1500 and come out of the clutch just like you would at a stop light, just a little quicker. Practice doing that and varying rpm 100-200 to see what nets you the best result.
Old 04-12-2014, 05:25 PM   #3
downtime!

Jonathan and I were talking about going as soon as he gets the car on the dyno. You're more than welcome to come with us.

Street tires are a balancing act when it comes to launching. It's all about slipping the clutch as you feather in the throttle and it is a PITA to learn and is also quite hard on the clutch. Get it right and you'll hear a steady chirp, chirp, chirp sound from the tires and they swap between traction and spinning. Get it wrong and you'll know it immediately, spin city. Honestly, bolt those DR's up and it will be a lot easier.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:00 PM   #4
Bacadiesel

Ok cool thanks you guys.
Bacadiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:00 AM   #5
fordplay

It is practice, knowing the road surface, experience, and luck, oh and steady nerves, I still get all excited at a light and dump the clutch too quickly and blow my launch. Tires are a big thing also, I found with the Pirelli when they were new and warm I could leave around 3,000 rpm. Half used.. pffffttt idle was too much, the chirp chirp advice is about the best I've heard.. it's like golf when you hit it right you hear it..
fordplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:26 PM   #6
GreenGravity

I too wouldn't mind going to the strip for the first time with another beginner.
I just want a wingman to roll with and practice for a day one weekend, I too need to learn my launches.
GreenGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:25 AM   #7
fordplay

Don't feel worried about looking like a fool at the strip. I have actually seen a guy forget he was in reverse and launched backwards, and the track guys have seen worse. Keep it off the walls and you'll be fine. I'm not a veteran of any kind, I only make it a few times a year tops, follow the advice above and if you are on street tires, avoid the water box
fordplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:07 AM   #8
GreenGravity

Thanks for the heads up on the water box ford play lol
I would be spinning all day before I figured it out I bet haha.
GreenGravity is offline   Reply With Quote