Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #61
re-rx7
Banned

When it comes to oil it's real simple. Weight grade and service requirement. The oil molecules themselves do not wear out. The additives do. Like I stated before, it is the oil recommended by Ferrari after they closed their deal with Mobil. Actually Monil is considered to not be one of the best. I've hear equal amounts of stories about other brands of oils and its just that....stories.
"Paraffin is the proper organic chemistry word for aliphatic hydrocarbons...more commonly known as oil. It is also the correct name for wax and candles. But there is as much difference between paraffin wax and paraffin oil as there is between a chestnut horse and a horse chestnut. They just aint the same thing. Don't matter whether you're talking about Pennzoil, Castrol, Valvoline or your wife's Christmas candles. If you like Pennzoil, use it worry free"
Once again there aren't any bad oil as they all have to meet the service requirements set forth by the gov't. Synthetic is better then conventional is about the only truth.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:35 AM   #62
Luke

Originally Posted by Toby View Post
The car itself looked to be well taken care of. This is not the first time I have seen these results when pennsoil was regularly run in a vehicle. I have worked in a mechanics shop for over 10 years now. I have seen cars come in that the oil was never changed in, ones that have 150k with regular service using conventional and synthetic. In my experience, pennsoil is pure junk, I would rather put used 10k mile oil in my car over pennsoil. Just is speaking from personal experience with what I have seen and dealt with in person, not what I read on some forum or blog on the Internet or what I saw in a magazine article.
My stepdad has been an engine builder for years and he's said the same about Pennsoil, even the "I'd rather use used oil" part. I've never personally used it in anything but Pennsoil being garbage is what I commonly hear form people.

Edit: Except Pennsoil Ultra, this has been the one product they have I've heard good things about.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #63
Luke

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
When it comes to oil it's real simple. Weight grade and service requirement. The oil molecules themselves do not wear out. The additives do. Like I stated before, it is the oil recommended by Ferrari after they closed their deal with Mobil. Actually Monil is considered to not be one of the best. I've hear equal amounts of stories about other brands of oils and its just that....stories.
"Paraffin is the proper organic chemistry word for aliphatic hydrocarbons...more commonly known as oil. It is also the correct name for wax and candles. But there is as much difference between paraffin wax and paraffin oil as there is between a chestnut horse and a horse chestnut. They just aint the same thing. Don't matter whether you're talking about Pennzoil, Castrol, Valvoline or your wife's Christmas candles. If you like Pennzoil, use it worry free"
Once again there aren't any bad oil as they all have to meet the service requirements set forth by the gov't. Synthetic is better then conventional is about the only truth.

I'm not trying to discredit you in any way but where do you get your info, I may as well do some more reading. Just seems when you see results from oil samples done by a third party that actually show differences between brands, it seems hard to believe they are all the same. But like I said earlier, for vehicles not being beat on, they will all do the job, some just do it better than others.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:00 AM   #64
saunupe1911

Walmart's oil prices are hard to beat when you buy oil in the 5 quart jug and then tack on 3 more quarts. Mobil 1 Extended comes out to be around $40 something altogher then I just take it to Sam Pack and let the do the labor and grab a fitler for about $15 more.

Yeah all of these oil test out pretty well and meet gov't guidelines based upon their change interval. That's not the point though. I have been researching like Luke for the absolute best for our cars. Seems like Amsoil and Royal Purple is the consensus favorites based upon Coyote oil samples. Yeah Motorcraft works just fine, but it's not the best for our engines. Either way all of these oils will probably take the car to 100k, but again I want the proven best especially when they all cost around the same (by tier at least) and have extremely similar change intervals. The industry and tuners will eventually find out as Coyotes age.

Last edited by saunupe1911; 05-16-2013 at 10:07 AM.
saunupe1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #65
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by Luke View Post
I'm not trying to discredit you in any way but where do you get your info, I may as well do some more reading. Just seems when you see results from oil samples done by a third party that actually show differences between brands, it seems hard to believe they are all the same. But like I said earlier, for vehicles not being beat on, they will all do the job, some just do it better than others.
Originally Posted by saunupe1911 View Post
Walmart's oil prices are hard to beat when you buy oil in the 5 quart jug and then tack on 3 more quarts. Mobil 1 Extended comes out to be around $40 something altogher then I just take it to Sam Pack and let the do the labor and grab a fitler for about $15 more.

Yeah all of these oil test out pretty well and meet gov't guidelines based upon their change interval. That's not the point though. I have been researching like Luke for the absolute best for our cars. Seems like Amsoil and Royal Purple is the consensus favorites based upon Coyote oil samples. Yeah Motorcraft works just fine, but it's not the best for our engines. Either way all of these oils will probably take the car to 100k, but again I want the proven best especially when they all cost around the same (by tier at least) and have extremely similar change intervals. The industry and tuners will eventually find out as Coyotes age.
I accumulated my knowledge over the years. A lot of it when I had a rotary. Rotaries are extremely hard on oil as the oil does 1/3 of the cooling. Oil selection was vital. I researched and researched. Pennzoil got a bad rep back in the late 80's early 90's. nowadays the oil is fine. You say that they all meet the requirements just like i said but also state that's not the point. What is the point? Also funny story. A lot of people say it because the oil is made from Pennsylvania oil. The reason that is funny is because so is Brad Penn racing oil. Lol

Links references to pennzoil I just googled.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...&Number=623736
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/penn...dge-44640.html

Last edited by re-rx7; 05-16-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #66
saunupe1911

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
I accumulated my knowledge over the years. A lot of it when I had a rotary. Rotaries are extremely hard on oil as the oil does 1/3 of the cooling. Oil selection was vital. I researched and researched. Pennzoil got a bad rep back in the late 80's early 90's. nowadays the oil is fine. You say that they all meet the requirements just like i said but also state that's not the point. What is the point? Also funny story. A lot of people say it because the oil is made from Pennsylvania oil. The reason that is funny is because so is Brad Penn racing oil. Lol

Links references to pennzoil I just googled.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...&Number=623736
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/penn...dge-44640.html
The point I was trying to make is that I want the absolute best oil, especially since they have similiar price points among their tier groups. I guess it really doesn't matter what brand you use in the grand scheme of things because a lot their addtives seem to work extremely similiar. But one of the brands must have at least one leg up on the competition and so far results are showing that it's Amsoil. Time will tell though.
saunupe1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #67
re-rx7
Banned

Amsoil is gd dnt get me wrong. I really like it. It comes down to what your doing with it. If you race all the time then yea def wrth it. If daily and race every now and then I'd go with a really gd off the shelf.
Old 05-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #68
Toby

It's one thing to meet certain requirements, but it is another to exceed those requirements. Yes you are correct, the oil molecules do not wear out, but the additives do. And its those additives in pennsoil that cause the sludging and problems I have personally seen many many times first hand.

At the end of the day, everyone has their own opinion. Personally I have run nothing but mobil 1, valvoline and motorcraft with 0 issues. The oil is always in good shape(for used oil) when I change it, every engine I have torn down after using these oils have shown little to no sign of abnormal wear. The engine in my mustang now, I removed it with the intensions of a coyote swap. While the engine was out I checked the bearings out before trying to sell it, and they looked just as new as when i had installed them 5k extremely hard miles ago. I ended up putting a smaller cam and putting the motor back in the car for now and it runs great, makes 80 lbs of oil pressure. I run mobil 1 10w-40 in it with a motorcraft filter.
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote