Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 07-15-2014, 12:18 PM   #1
NAVAG

Default Boss H-Pipe

Just throwing a feeler out there.

I currently have a Boss H-Pipe and Side Pipes on my 13 GT-Premium with stock exhaust.

I love the 302 set up and have the restrictor plates removed from the side pipes and it just isn't loud enough for me. (No - I don't plan on removing the cats) Plus I don't like the big gap around the small stock tips. So after reading a ton of reviews and watching countless clips I pulled the trigger on the Pype Bombs from Late Model which were on sale.

I'm going to install the AB tomorrow and drive it to work a couple of times and if I feel like it is too loud I'm considering putting the stock mid pipe back on and selling the 302 set up. If anyone if interested in it I will post it up here, if not - Craigslist or Ebay.
NAVAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:16 PM   #2
DirtyD

Before you ditch the sidepipes, look into a set of custom made restrictor plates. Bossmustangsonline.com has plates with a variety of different holes drilled for varying volume. This will help keep some volume down while keeping the sound.

http://bossmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=3663.0
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 11:11 PM   #3
moostang09

I would be interested. If the price is right! Lol what are you thinking price wise and I'll let you know of I'm in or out.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:10 AM   #4
DirtyD

The pipes are so worth it. I started my car up tonight just so I could hear them again.
Old 07-16-2014, 10:52 AM   #5
MontanaBentley

I might be interested in the Boss H-Pipe, let me know what you are thinking on Price
MontanaBentley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:03 AM   #6
NAVAG

I installed the Pype Bombs this morning. Ran up and down the highway. They aren't as bad as I thought they might be. I think my old Fox was louder. They are a little deeper than stock at idle. WOT is "HOLY SHEET". But drone at 2K RPM

Side pipes not as loud but I still hear the gurgle when down shifting; which I love. Absolutely ZERO rasp. Just a noticeable drone - Adjusted radio volume to compensate for drone. I don't mind it but I know my wife might say something when she is riding with me. I'll make it up to her by buying some get-dirty mods for her Jeep.

I think that ditching the side pipes might actually make the back ones louder. I'll take the blanks that came with the Boss H-Pipe to work and drill them out to 5/8" and try them, maybe 3/4". I'll keep it on for now just because it's a pain n the ass to replace.

I love the way they look. They fill in the gap nicely and stick out a little more. If I get to where I feel like they are too loud I'll take my stock mufflers to work with me, cut the tips off and weld the Pype Bomb tips onto the stock mufflers.
Old 07-16-2014, 11:12 AM   #7
Lucky13

Originally Posted by NAVAG View Post
I installed the Pype Bombs this morning. Ran up and down the highway. They aren't as bad as I thought they might be. I think my old Fox was louder. They are a little deeper than stock at idle. WOT is "HOLY SHEET". But drone at 2K RPM

Side pipes not as loud but I still hear the gurgle when down shifting; which I love. Absolutely ZERO rasp. Just a noticeable drone - Adjusted radio volume to compensate for drone. I don't mind it but I know my wife might say something when she is riding with me. I'll make it up to her by buying some get-dirty mods for her Jeep.

I think that ditching the side pipes might actually make the back ones louder. I'll take the blanks that came with the Boss H-Pipe to work and drill them out to 5/8" and try them, maybe 3/4". I'll keep it on for now just because it's a pain n the ass to replace.

I love the way they look. They fill in the gap nicely and stick out a little more. If I get to where I feel like they are too loud I'll take my stock mufflers to work with me, cut the tips off and weld the Pype Bomb tips onto the stock mufflers.
I have them and I love em. I also use the radio adjustment feature at 2k! LOL!

Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 03:53 PM   #8
moostang09

So are you keeping the boss h pipe now? I am confused.. lol
Old 07-16-2014, 07:57 PM   #9
Brn N Rubr

I <3 my Boss H and GT500 mufflers. Yummy.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:24 PM   #10
DirtyD

Originally Posted by Brn N Rubr View Post
I <3 my Boss H and GT500 mufflers. Yummy.

We need to compare ours.

No cats versus cats
Old 07-17-2014, 12:23 AM   #11
NAVAG

I'll keep the Boss H-Pipe for now but I need to do some sound proofing work to get these Pype Bombs under control. They have a very deep bass and at seem to vibrate the hell out of the trunk at certain RPMs. Right now the drone at 2K is annoyingly loud on the inside. Thinking of going with the peel and seal option from Lowes instead of dropping my kids college fund on Dynamat. Outside the car sounds perfect. Inside is not too bad with the exception of 2K RPM. 70-75 on the highway and I can't hear myself think. 65 and under and 80+ is pretty quiet.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:54 PM   #12
NAVAG

Dropped a hundred dollars on some dynamat and only had enough to do the spare tire area. Reduced the drone a little. Need to coat the entire trunk area.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:17 PM   #13
Brn N Rubr

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
We need to compare ours.

No cats versus cats
Come on by.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:08 AM   #14
Boss949

I had same problem with Roush A/B. Drone @2100 was awful. Needed more restrictive mufflers.
1. GT500 "13" Quad pipes (regular dual will work). Eliminated all the drone. Was running Cat Delete; FRPP X . I loved the Boss side w/H pipe. However, opted for Torque Arm Kit and had to convert to X. Handling over sound.
2. Recently installed Kooks LT with O/R X (no cats/ OBD2 in tune) Deleted the resonators and Kinney Muffler installed straight pipes.
3. The sound is finally where I wanted it from the beginning. Cruising and I can talk on phone, no drone, etc. Fun begins on acceleration.

Hope this helps.
2013 Boss 302 PW, Recaro, Torsen, AED tune, Airaid CAI, MGW, Hotchkis Springs/LCA, Whiteline Relo, CHE K Member w/Torque Limiters, Griggs Torque Arm Kit, T/A rear girdle, Kenny Brown Pan Hard Bar, Whiteline Tranny Bushing, JPC Linelock, JPC stainless clutch line, MT ET Street Radials (when needed), , 2013 GT500 Quad Axle Backs, Kooks LT 1 3/4, O/R X Pipe, Resonator Delete, JPC Line Lock,JPC Clutch Line.
Boss949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:36 AM   #15
NAVAG

I love the Boss Side Pipes. Just wanted something louder in the back. The Pypes sound awesome and they look great. On the outside they have that low rumble that I remember from the classic muscle cars. They aren't even that loud when driving through town but when in top gear on the highway the drone is sickening. I have some more sound proofing materials coming in from amazon which I doubt will do much for the drone but I've been wanting to try and eliminate the road noise anyway so I'll go ahead and do that first. Next weekend I'm going to do one of three things.

1. Remove Pype Bombs and offer to sell/trade
2. Put it all back to stock and sell the pypes and Boss setup.
3. Do nothing and just stay out of the drone range.

When I bought the Boss H, I had narrowed my decision down to it and the GT 500 quads. The price wasn't that different. Right now I'm thinking of selling everything and buying the quads.