Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:07 AM   #16
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
Bullshit, the more I read up on alot of other forums the more I find that to be untrue. I reseaarched and researched before I made any purchase. They sell almost 5x what other tuners do so any failures would be more attributed to them. If I build 100 cars and the next builds 10. Who do you think has a greater chance of having more problems? I can show you threads where Lund racing has fucked up tunes as well and then not emailed the customer back for weeks afterwards.
If you had actually done your research as you have said you'd be aware of all the background info and there is no way you could possibly say anything positive about Bama tuning. They had a HUGE issue on their hands there for awhile.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:51 AM   #17
re-rx7
Banned

I'm aware of past issues I'm also aware of issues other tuners have had as well. Once again they sell a lot more tuners then others so more issues are to be expected. Those problems were mainly a few years back and totaled about 2 -3 cars. Please post link of current problems or threads. Also read where stock 2011 5.0's were blowing #8 as well.

Last edited by re-rx7; 04-24-2013 at 03:52 AM.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #18
DirtyD

Default diablosport trinity t-1000

Originally Posted by m_tyler_r View Post
thanks for the info... I don't have too much done to my engine so far so it shouldn't be too hard to find someone. where's the closest shop around Arlington and uta?
Gear heads in south Arlington off copper, just north of 287 is a decent shop. Not sure how many v6s they've done though. You would really have to contact a shop about getting a V6 tune.

But I can also recommend Justin Starkey at VMP Tuning, as I think he has experience in the 3.7 market as well. I know he did with the 4.0 and old 3.8L
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #19
DirtyD

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
If you had actually done your research as you have said you'd be aware of all the background info and there is no way you could possibly say anything positive about Bama tuning. They had a HUGE issue on their hands there for awhile.
Don't be so harsh, Steve. You and I both know that Bama used to be one of the most prominent tuning companies when it came to Mustangs. Unfortunately, that isn't the same Bama that now operates under American Muscle.

AM & Bama outsell everyone else because of the "scam-ish" warranty they offer with the "#8 Guarantee" and the lifetime tunes. The lifetime tunes are awesome, but any tuner than has any idea what they are doing now knows that the #8 issue from tuning as been completely resolved. But a lot of people out there don't research and realize this, so they put trust in Bama nothing will happen. Great marketing strategy.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #20
m_tyler_r

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
Gear heads in south Arlington off copper, just north of 287 is a decent shop. Not sure how many v6s they've done though. You would really have to contact a shop about getting a V6 tune.

But I can also recommend Justin Starkey at VMP Tuning, as I think he has experience in the 3.7 market as well. I know he did with the 4.0 and old 3.8L
alright I'll try them
Old 04-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #21
re-rx7
Banned

Don't be so harsh, Steve. You and I both know that Bama used to be one of the most prominent tuning companies when it came to Mustangs. Unfortunately, that isn't the same Bama that now operates under American Muscle.

AM & Bama outsell everyone else because of the "scam-ish" warranty they offer with the "#8 Guarantee" and the lifetime tunes. The lifetime tunes are awesome, but any tuner than has any idea what they are doing now knows that the #8 issue from tuning as been completely resolved. But a lot of people out there don't research and realize this, so they put trust in Bama nothing will happen. Great marketing strategy.
Not quite sure what your trying to say.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:04 AM   #22
Grandpa
I> /\/\

That is because you're not as well informed on the history as you thought. There was some shady stuff that went down with all of that. If you were aware of all the background it would make more sense to you. There is no sense in drudging it all up again putting this site in the middle of some internet fiasco. If you make it out to a GTG some time I'll tell you about it all.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #23
re-rx7
Banned

Ehh like I said at this stage in the game with just a intake I'm not overly worried. I did my research honestly I feel that it just a matter of who you want to tune your car.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #24
Courtesy Flush

I guess ill join the minority here in that i never had one issue with bama tunes.
Courtesy Flush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:23 AM   #25
DirtyD

Ehh like I said at this stage in the game with just a intake I'm not overly worried. I did my research honestly I feel that it just a matter of who you want to tune your car.
I only used the word scam-ish because AM/Bama sells so many people tunes that aren't forum bred enthusiasts like ourselves. They here they can make their car faster, find out where, and just buy. Bama is super conservative on their tunes. There is a guy in our group running the exact same mods at Midnight, but only making 406/370ish while Midnight makes 425/385. Don't get me wrong, a lot of it is personal choice on who you feel comfortable tuning your car. BUT, people need to know there are better, more power-efficient options for custom tunes than just Bama. But what they offer makes it "hella" enticing.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:24 AM   #26
m_tyler_r

called up Gearheads... they said it would be $250 for a dyno tune... any thoughts? high? low? if I go that route would I need a tuner?
Old 04-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #27
DirtyD

Originally Posted by Courtesy Flush View Post
I guess ill join the minority here in that i never had one issue with bama tunes.
How long ago did you have them? I know some of the smaller issues such as the idle surges and stuff are hit and miss. There has only been one actual #8 failure under their watch with a customer, that I'm aware of, in which the they claim the tune wasn't found at fault. But I haven't dug deep enough to try and uncover other occurences, because it doesn't really matter to me. I know my 4 options for custom tuning will either be AED, JPC, Truestreet, or Kevin.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:28 AM   #28
DirtyD

Originally Posted by m_tyler_r View Post
called up Gearheads... they said it would be $250 for a dyno tune... any thoughts? high? low? if I go that route would I need a tuner?
That doesn't seem to bad at all. As for a tuner, you will have to ask them if they can tune for SCT, or if they are still a diablosport only dealer (which they were like 4 years ago the one time I visited the shop).

Any retunes you will need for future mods will cost you though, and those are typically based on the shop rate for hourly work, and however long it takes to do the retune. Make sure to clarify that.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #29
Grandpa
I> /\/\

At this point I'm sure it will run fine. Most tuners now have "the fix" program which is why the number eight issues have all but disappeared. Of course, there will always be the occasional failure here and there, but they arent blowing up every week like they were in 2011. Bama tunes now are ultra conservative to insure they don't hurt anything anymore.

The latest trend with some of the bigger tuners is that they will no longer do datalogging tunes on the street and will only do live remote tuning in order to reduce any issues.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:30 AM   #30
m_tyler_r

That doesn't seem to bad at all. As for a tuner, you will have to ask them if they can tune for SCT, or if they are still a diablosport only dealer (which they were like 4 years ago the one time I visited the shop).

Any retunes you will need for future mods will cost you though, and those are typically based on the shop rate for hourly work, and however long it takes to do the retune. Make sure to clarify that.
yeah I noted that I was about to buy an SCT and he didn't mention it being a problem. he also said that in the future if I get new mods it would be like $100 to retune