Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:34 PM   #61
kdanner

Originally Posted by downtime! View Post
I'll take that bet. We both start from scratch, you do your GT in its current form, I'll do my Scamp in its current form, and we race when we're done. You have 1 hour to do your best. Or worst. As the case may be.
I'd have to say why not start with both of them in 100% stock form? Then how long does it take you to do the work just to catch up with the newer car which is still in its stock form?

Originally Posted by downtime! View Post
You get a pass since you've obviously taken the time to learn the in's and out's of a modern cars spark and fuel tables.
It's just air, fuel, and spark. Old or new. I've still got boxes of Holley jets and gaskets around here somewhere. I think the thing is the new stuff is viewed as some kind of black magic by many, and that just isn't the case. I see it as easier, I can sure make a calibration change and reflash quicker than I ever could tear the bowls off the carb and put them back, then get a timing light out and change the base timing, let alone changing the weights/springs for the mechanical advance. Plus I'm more likely to actually make the right change due to having data instead of guessing what the older car wants.

Now, would I rather put headers on your A body than put them on an S197? Hell yes. But by the same token I'd rather put them on an S197 than a 68-70 428CJ car. Would I rather put an oil pump on a big block Mopar than about anything else in the world, yes. We can play that kind of game all day.
kdanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 11:51 PM   #62
downtime!

We could start both stock, no issues. I've been doing these things long enough to have it 98% correct as soon as I finish bolting the carb on. Won't need a jet change, just a little smoothing out.

I agree on the black magic part though. I tuned two of my old 3V cars, once with Sniper software and the last one with the SCT Racer pack or whatever it used to be called. It's still a matter or learning what the car likes, what this change affects over there, and how it all works together. The difference is, you will not do a great job your first time out. There is a reasonably steep learning curve. While in the other pit, there is a very reasonable chance that I can bolt that carb on right out of the box and the car will run pretty good. Two or three quick turns of a screwdriver, a twist of the distributor, and I'm good to go.

Originally Posted by kdanner View Post
I'd have to say why not start with both of them in 100% stock form? Then how long does it take you to do the work just to catch up with the newer car which is still in its stock form?

It's just air, fuel, and spark. Old or new. I've still got boxes of Holley jets and gaskets around here somewhere. I think the thing is the new stuff is viewed as some kind of black magic by many, and that just isn't the case. I see it as easier, I can sure make a calibration change and reflash quicker than I ever could tear the bowls off the carb and put them back, then get a timing light out and change the base timing, let alone changing the weights/springs for the mechanical advance. Plus I'm more likely to actually make the right change due to having data instead of guessing what the older car wants.

Now, would I rather put headers on your A body than put them on an S197? Hell yes. But by the same token I'd rather put them on an S197 than a 68-70 428CJ car. Would I rather put an oil pump on a big block Mopar than about anything else in the world, yes. We can play that kind of game all day.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:09 AM   #63
DirtyD

So Noah is doing tuning now? Or is he working with someone else?
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:28 PM   #64
Grandpa
I> /\/\

LOL, I'm so glad I don't have to deal with these Ford problems anymore...
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:30 PM   #65
DirtyD

Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
Found Online Raging Drama?
Old 09-16-2014, 12:33 PM   #66
blownaltered
I have a small penis

lmao, the GM community bitches about tuners as much as the ford guys do.
blownaltered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:42 PM   #67
DirtyD

Originally Posted by blownaltered View Post
And now they just bitch about recalls.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:05 PM   #68
Grandpa
I> /\/\

They bitch about who is faster. Not about which tuner blows more shit up than Al Qaueda..

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
And now they just bitch about recalls.

I have yet to see a recall on the V.

Honestly, all this arguing and bitching is pointless. Once you get in this hobby and start modding your car, it should come as no surprise when shit breaks. It's part of the risk you take modding a car from factory specs. It's the same with people who bitch and complain about getting tickets when building a high horsepower car. Getting tickets comes with the territory.

Ford, Chevy, foreign or domestic, it all really doesn't matter. When you build a car to be used beyond what it was designed for, shit is going to happen. So choose whatever car you like, build it to suit your tastes and how you are going to use it, and just enjoy it. Bickering over semantics is a waste of energy and time.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:58 PM   #69
DirtyD

They bitch about who is faster. Not about which tuner blows more shit up than Al Qaueda..

Honestly, all this arguing and bitching is pointless. Once you get in this hobby and start modding your car, it should come as no surprise when shit breaks. It's part of the risk you take modding a car from factory specs. It's the same with people who bitch and complain about getting tickets when building a high horsepower car. Getting tickets comes with the territory.

Ford, Chevy, foreign or domestic, it all really doesn't matter. When you build a car to be used beyond what it was designed for, shit is going to happen. So choose whatever car you like, build it to suit your tastes and how you are going to use it, and just enjoy it. Bickering over semantics is a waste of energy and time.
Wise ol' Grandpa and his infinite wisdom
Old 09-16-2014, 09:50 PM   #70
Midnight11
El Presidente

But Steve was all about the shop that blew the most cars up...

2013 Ford Mustang 5.0 6M Brembo 3.73s
HPP TUNED
HP-enough
4-0 vs Steve
Midnight11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:13 PM   #71
Stangmaster281

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
Wise ol' Grandpa and his infinite wisdom
And like all the other ol grandpa's of infinite wisdom, everyone let's him babble on acting like they're paying attention until he forgets what he was saying and falls asleep.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:26 AM   #72
blownaltered
I have a small penis

Originally Posted by Midnight11 View Post
Your young so I'm trying to let some of this slide but your making it very hard to. You were nut hugging true street for years and they never did anything wrong to your car. Now your nut hugging HPP, which is fine but let's not try to distort or make up facts. To say true street has blown up more cars than any other shop in town is laughable. I won't bring up names or experience but when you don't know what your talking about you might want to keep your mouth shut. So you had a couple friends that have had bad experiences there, who gives a shit. I could go on for hours about the shit I know about some of the shops in town and what they have done to people cars. Every shop has had or had theses problems.

I can name shops that don't even tune their own cars, they use internet tuners to tune them. I can tell you that one of the people in this thread doesn't realize his car was tuned by somebody he is bashing because the shop couldn't tune his car, then the shop couldn't afford to pay the tuner once he was done. I don't say the things I know because well it's not my place and frankly I don't care. People are going to take their cars where they want and if you can't accept that or think you need to add your .02 in about a shop your in the wrong business.

If I saw the site owner running his mouth about shops I would yank my fucking add in a heart beat, but that's just me.
blownaltered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:44 AM   #73
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by Midnight11 View Post
Go back and search my posts and reread what I said. I've always said, I have no issue with anyone stating their issues with ANY shop that they have had first hand. My problem is with all the people who were just running their mouths from second/third hand information that had nothing to do with them, or their cars. My issue was with the people who were personally slandering Clint when they don't know the guy, or ever dealt with him, but rather getting their information from someone else who wasn't telling the complete truth about their car and what happened because they were embarrassed or didn't completely understand the ramifications of beating on a car before it was ready.

Has TS made mistakes? Absolutely. ALL shops do, because they are run by humans who make mistakes. If you stay at HPP long enough, the same things will happen there too. Why? Because it's just part of the hobby. Shit breaks and people screw up.

You're young, I've already gone down that path you are now learning the hobby, the shop shuffle, blah blah blah. In time you will see, it's just how the hobby goes if you stay in it long enough. Eventually, you'll also figure out something about accountibilty, that at the end of the day you really only have yourself to blame for shit going wrong with your car because you made the decision to modify it.

The one rule that has ALWAYS stood true about this hobby - Cheap, fast, reliable - choose two.

Your young so I'm trying to let some of this slide but your making it very hard to. You were nut hugging true street for years and they never did anything wrong to your car. Now your nut hugging HPP, which is fine but let's not try to distort or make up facts. To say true street has blown up more cars than any other shop in town is laughable. I won't bring up names or experience but when you don't know what your talking about you might want to keep your mouth shut. So you had a couple friends that have had bad experiences there, who gives a shit. I could go on for hours about the shit I know about some of the shops in town and what they have done to people cars. Every shop has had or had theses problems.

I can name shops that don't even tune their own cars, they use internet tuners to tune them. I can tell you that one of the people in this thread doesn't realize his car was tuned by somebody he is bashing because the shop couldn't tune his car, then the shop couldn't afford to pay the tuner once he was done. I don't say the things I know because well it's not my place and frankly I don't care. People are going to take their cars where they want and if you can't accept that or think you need to add your .02 in about a shop your in the wrong business.
Yep. Agreed.

The performance shops industry is a SHITTY business to get into in the first place. I knew Clint WAY before he ever got into it when he was still working in the mortgage business. I told him then, don't do it. Not because I didn't think he couldn't make it work, but rather because its a shitty business model full of stress.

It's a business based on building powerful cars for people you know for 100% certain are going to go out and beat the snot out of it. Most customers don't have a fucking clue about their cars which is why they are willing to take the car to a shop, write a check to have some guys they don't know build their car for them. When shit goes wrong -its the shops fault, never the guy behind the wheel beating the fuck out of a car who is suppose to be giving the car "break-in" miles rather than standing the car on the rev-limiter all night long.

Stick around the scene long enough and you will see the main guys (owners) of the shops tend to stay the same, but the shop mechanics are constantly changing and they eventually make it to every shop around town. A lot of these shop mechanics aren't professionally educated, certified type mechanics, but rather guys just like us who have been around awhile turning wrenches, the difference is they are willing to do the work for pay.

At the end of all of this, the only thing that has come from it all is causing bad blood between people over trivial shit and now DFW50s has a less than stellar reputation. All the shops in question are still in business, still thriving and life will go on. So all of this BS has been and will be for nothing.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:47 AM   #74
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by Stangmaster281 View Post
And like all the other ol grandpa's of infinite wisdom, everyone let's him babble on acting like they're paying attention until he forgets what he was saying and falls asleep.
And like most kids, in time you will through experience learn the hard way rather than listening to those who have already done it before you. In time, you will see that I'm right.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:40 PM   #75
DirtyD

Give it time. The way GM has been lately, they will discover about 5 recalls in the next few years for your car, since that seems to be their trend. lol