Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #31
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by OG Fox View Post
Have you used an MGW? have you compared the build qualities of the two shifters?
Ive felt both, yes. I could tell no differnce. Even if there were a small diff is it worth the xtra 400$? or $200 if I had to buy it?
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #32
downtime!

If you could honestly tell no difference between the two, that tells me you haven't actually driven a car with the MGW installed. There are several reasons why they cost twice as much, and when you actually drive a car with one installed, you will immediately be able to tell what they are. Noise and vibration, or the lack thereof, will be your first clue. Stock type operation, utilizing the push down lockout for reverse will be your second.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #33
JDMLOL

I like my mgw. Decreased throw some, not a ton. I like it because it is very solid and direct. The stocker was okay, a little sloppy, but the mgw is great. I felt a barton car with the bracket and it felt good too. I never drove it though.

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS
JDMLOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #34
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by downtime! View Post
If you could honestly tell no difference between the two, that tells me you haven't actually driven a car with the MGW installed. There are several reasons why they cost twice as much, and when you actually drive a car with one installed, you will immediately be able to tell what they are. Noise and vibration, or the lack thereof, will be your first clue. Stock type operation, utilizing the push down lockout for reverse will be your second.
You do realize the SR is push down lockout as well? I do not have any noise or vibration?
Old 07-29-2013, 02:20 PM   #35
Midnight11
El Presidente

Mgw!!

2013 Ford Mustang 5.0 6M Brembo 3.73s
HPP TUNED
HP-enough
4-0 vs Steve
Midnight11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #36
downtime!

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
You do realize the SR is push down lockout as well? I do not have any noise or vibration?
Didn't realize that, I thought they were like the Hurst. SR is American Muscles in house line right? I usually don't do bargain parts, but they have some good things as well, so maybe it's not too bad. I'll still stick with quality parts that were engineered in house and not whipped up from other peoples hard work.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #37
JDMLOL

Didn't realize that, I thought they were like the Hurst. SR is American Muscles in house line right? I usually don't do bargain parts, but they have some good things as well, so maybe it's not too bad. I'll still stick with quality parts that were engineered in house and not whipped up from other peoples hard work.
Usually the bargain parts are made by the same reputable named companies with a private brand's stamp on it. Not always, but most of the time. If a big name company has excess capacity they will produce extra units at a discounted price and lable them differently. It's not much different than store brand foods. Mrs. Baird's bread is put in a great value package. The question is, what name brand is making these parts? I believe ford racing parts are done the same way, except they are usually marked up with some sort of warranty.

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS
Old 07-29-2013, 04:36 PM   #38
re-rx7
Banned

I belive so and im not compaining it was free!
Originally Posted by JDMLOL View Post
Usually the bargain parts are made by the same reputable named companies with a private brand's stamp on it. Not always, but most of the time. If a big name company has excess capacity they will produce extra units at a discounted price and lable them differently. It's not much different than store brand foods. Mrs. Baird's bread is put in a great value package. The question is, what name brand is making these parts? I believe ford racing parts are done the same way, except they are usually marked up with some sort of warranty.
Bargain places buy the part and copy it. Ask me how I know. I worked for Top Speed.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:39 PM   #39
JDMLOL

Bargain places buy the part and copy it. Ask me how I know. I worked for Top Speed.
Without a license agreement or anything? The design wasn't patented? Hmm. I know that some companies do work the way I described.

The Queen:
Old 07-29-2013, 04:45 PM   #40
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by JDMLOL View Post
Without a license agreement or anything? The design wasn't patented? Hmm. I know that some companies do work the way I described.
Even if its patented they change little details. Thats why some parts wor great but other flop and break. Because sometimes they have to change a detail that really matters. I know one time my boss was shipping out Cusco Anti roll bars to Taiwan to get copied. Fun fact according to him Taiwan has higher qulity control then that of China LOL

Im really suspect of some of these headers I see out and about. They look like chinese welds and thin walled piping. BBk headers for one.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:29 PM   #41
KnightRider5.0

I'm honestly ready to smash my
Ford racing shifter and two post bracket with a hammer for my 2012 GT shifter has started doing the same thing as the stocker sloppy hard push against detinents to engage gears, I had Ford do the install an they checked it said everything's good so it's either crap or the tranny having issues. But it's been In for about 4,000 miles for 500 tough as hell finally broke in at about 680 ish, next 700-3,000 miles smooth but firm engaged good. Now it's a daily thing of my yelling you mother F...Er. Seriously considering removing it. Just my experience. I don't track my car and it' occasionally sees hard driving. My recommendation MGW.
KnightRider5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:01 AM   #42
downtime!

That's exactly what AM does, and UPR as well. I try my best to not support either one.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #43
ochoblanco

That's exactly what AM does, and UPR as well. I try my best to not support either one.
The beauty of reverse engineering. I see it all the time in my profession as my unpatented Huck bolts have been copied by every Chinese manufacturer in existence...and then they fail...and I get a call to come save my former customer.

On Topic, MGW is fantastic especially in the MT-82 garbage tranny. The Barton is also top of the line. I have driven 5.0's with both (shifter and bracket) and they are very similar in feel...which makes me sad when I realize I still have my stock shifter in my car...

Chad
2012 PW Boss 302 #2550 - Current
2003 DSG Terminator #1410 - SOLD
2000 Black Lightning #4278 - SOLD
2007 RFP Mustang GT (Cammed/Procharged) - DEAD
ochoblanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:59 PM   #44
Dark Pony
Supporting Member

Just an update...put the Barton in with the 2 post bracket and its awesome! The bracket did wonders and the shifter, while a little notchy, is very direct. I know once its broken in, it shouldn't be as notchy though.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #45
Rebelracer568

Originally Posted by Dark Pony View Post
Just an update...put the Barton in with the 2 post bracket and its awesome! The bracket did wonders and the shifter, while a little notchy, is very direct. I know once its broken in, it shouldn't be as notchy though.
Thats the reaso I returned my barton and bought a mgw. Stock shifter and bartontwo post mount works decent. Been racing my car like that till I install mgw
Rebelracer568 is offline   Reply With Quote