Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Interior/Exterior

Interior/Exterior Post new mods or questions about the inside or outside of your mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:43 PM   #16
saunupe1911

Originally Posted by rlhay2 View Post
I'd recommend Earmark Car Audio - Plano.

The guy who runs the shop has a good reputation.
Thanks bro...I will give them a call on lunch. I called Car Toys a few days ago and already don't trust them...smh
saunupe1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:45 PM   #17
saunupe1911

Earmark Car Audio - Plano rep said they only install products they sell so it's a no for them. Not quite sure how they make a profit...smh
Old 02-12-2014, 04:19 PM   #18
DirtyD

There is a place in Arlington I would recommend. Mobile Sound Systems
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:13 PM   #19
Luke

Just do it yourself, car audio is extremely easy to figure out and all of the radio and trim pieces come out very easily.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:43 PM   #20
saunupe1911

Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Just do it yourself, car audio is extremely easy to figure out and all of the radio and trim pieces come out very easily.
I'm cool with taking radio trim out. The GPS wiring and backup camera is what has me nervous. Just don't want to touch door panels, carpet, or A pillar trim

I'm actually contemplating just doing the radio myself and then double side tapping the GPS on the dash but I want everything done right...the first time

Last edited by saunupe1911; 02-12-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:58 AM   #21
NAVAG

I've been thinking of buying one of those myself. I have it on my build list on AM and have been watching it for one of their sales.
I've actually considered running the camera to the front bumper for when I have to squeeze into my garage. Or maybe not hooking up a camera at all. (Got by this long without one) But hey, I'm a tech guy and I like flashy shit like that. Right now I'm torn between "bells and whistles" and going faster...

Try doing it yourself before paying someone else to do it. It should be pretty simple. I had the console off a few months ago. Ran the wires to my exhaust cutouts through the rubber shifter boot. Piece of cake.

Installation is pretty straight forward.
Unscrew the shifter knob.
Pull up on the center console.(it just snaps into place) Unhook the wires.
Two screws at the bottom of the radio bezel and your all set.
Make sure you get the XM radio ID off your old radio before you disconnect it.
The Bezel that comes with the kit is a direct replacement.
All the stuff you take off of the old bezel will go on the new one.
All the AC and Radio controls are just push button assemblies that are screwed onto the back of the bezel with a wire harness that just snaps on. Everything on the Raxiom one is designed to be plug and play which is why I like it.

Good Luck!
NAVAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:03 AM   #22
NAVAG

Originally Posted by saunupe1911 View Post
I'm cool with taking radio trim out. The GPS wiring and backup camera is what has me nervous. Just don't want to touch door panels, carpet, or A pillar trim

I'm actually contemplating just doing the radio myself and then double side tapping the GPS on the dash but I want everything done right...the first time
You might be able to run the GPS wire through the back of the center console, under the carpet, under the back seat, and attach it to the back window. Use something stiff like a wire coat hanger to fish it through. I saw a set up like that once. Let us know what you come up with. I'd like to buy one but right now I'm saving up for a beater to drive to work so I can stop putting so many miles on my car.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:05 AM   #23
NAVAG

Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Nothing like the radio that was in my old fox body that's for sure...
Old 02-13-2014, 10:58 AM   #24
saunupe1911

I think I found an installer but guess what? American Muscle is located in PA so my package is stuck in Columbia, SC. UPS is just the worst shippers.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:12 PM   #25
saunupe1911

Default Raxiom OE-Style Navigation system vendor installation suggestions

Finally got the Raxiom NAV installed. Its definitely worth the price. The NAV is quick and accurate with free updates. All SYNC features work flawlessly and in some ways better. Backup camera is one of the best I've seen. Audio/Video is available via RCA cables.

But my initial experience with the purchase was horrible. First of all, UPS lost the package due to bad weather. I took it to Car Toys Lewisville last weekend like a damn fool! They charged $245 for the complete install, which was still a rip off in my opinion. Also they left things incomplete such as tying off the the fragile AC and SYNC modules. They did do a good job of installing the camera which was placed right in between the rear license plate lights. But Raxiom sent me a lemon. The screen never came on. I went home took apart the dash to check Car Toys work. Everything was hooked up as shown in the instructions. I called AM and told them that I needed a replacement next day air. Also the damn things were sold out again!! I demanded some type of compensation from all the heartache so they sent me a $50 gift card. Welp AM got their next stock in this past Fri and received yesterday. I popped out the old unit with the new unit myself in that perfect weather. I routed the AV and USB plug through my glove compartment and tied everything off properly on the inside. Stay way from Car Toys Lewisville (or any other install shop) and do this install yourself especially if u don't need the awesome backup camera.

Correction video in motion is available via the AUX plugs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393789378.577795.jpg (31.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393789405.412341.jpg (28.0 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by saunupe1911; 03-03-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:15 AM   #26
Dark Pony
Supporting Member

Not bad looking. Sorry to hear you had problems with AM and Car Toys. There's a reason why I typically just do shit myself. No one to blame but myself if something goes wrong...and you save money.

Question for you...looking back, are you satisfied with the look and functionality? I like the layout and function of the Metra surround with a Kenwood head unit.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #27
saunupe1911

Man I researched every setup available. The Alpine "Made to fit " 8 inch Setup sold by Crutchfield that's made by Scosche is by the best available....but that setup is around $1800!!! The Metra and Scosche generic setups will run you anywhere between $900 to $1300 depending on the NAV and harness setups that you choose. Also none of those setups come with a backup camera. Nothing can touch the Raxiom/Rosen setup in regards to its features, ease of installation, screen location, and SYNC integration. The Kenwood units tap into the ODBC diagnostics, but that's its only advantage. I actually played with the 8 inch Alpine and a 7 inch Kenwood at Car Toys....I was not impressed. That particular Kenwood model was actually lagging. The Raxiom unit has every feature you want out of a Nav system and it looks OEM with proper screen placement. My only gripe is that I didn't buy it off Amazon when it was cheaper.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:37 PM   #28
jmurray87

Wow, pretty nice unit I may have to look into this down the road.

2011 Mustang GT/CS - GT500 Axleback
jmurray87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:41 PM   #29
NAVAG

I have this budgeted for June...Let's see if I talk myself out of it by then.