Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Interior/Exterior

Interior/Exterior Post new mods or questions about the inside or outside of your mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:40 AM   #1
Varilux

Default Installing Roush Splitter without hacking OEM Splitter

I installed the Roush chin and side splitters over the last week. The directions from Roush indicate you need to cut and reuse your OEM spoiler, but I just couldn't bring myself to destroy my original splitter.

Once the part arrived, it was evident why they want you to reuse the original splitter... namely, the Roush splitter is exceptionally flimsy and they couldn't be bothered to mold in some side braces.

Where there's a will, there's a way- and its fairly easy to provide the necessary support without sacrificing your OEM splitter.

For the ends, you just need flexible pieces of plastic to bend into a brace. The factory splitter has "wings" that continue up into the wheel well and tie the splitter to the inner fender skirt. Without some sort of connection, the fender skirt (indeed the fender itself) is able to wobble around. I used some longer than usual hotel key cards, drilled three holes for the bolts, and plasti-dipped them. This secures the ends of the Roush splitter quite firmly.

Next, you need a bit of support for the middle of the splitter. It held up fine on a 400 mile trip to College Station and back (at high speeds), but with the heat in the Summer, I can see where it might be able to deflect downward if left entirely unsupported. This is remedied by some simple aluminum supports (an aluminum bar costs about $5 at Lowes, just measure, cut, drill a hole, and the spoiler is very firmly supported across the middle.

I'm very happy with the appearance of both the chin and side splitters. Its just too bad Roush couldn't have spent the $1 or so in extra molding to make this a piece that doesn't require cutting of the OEM piece. I like the fact that my OEM piece is sitting in the attic on the chance I catch a retread with my new splitter out on I-35 (happened in a former car I owned, and it tore up the spoiler).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Roush installed1.jpg (68.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg splitter brace.jpg (109.8 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg MUSTANG Roush Braces.jpg (40.9 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg MUSTANG Roush card.jpg (24.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg MUSTANG Roush FINISHED.jpg (56.5 KB, 15 views)

'65 Coupe Silver Smoke Grey, Red interior, 200 I-6, T-5spd
'03 Convertible Silver Metallic, grey interior, V6
'14 GT Coupe, Sterling Gray, Brick Red interior, 5.0, 6M
Varilux is offline   Reply With Quote