Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Interior/Exterior

Interior/Exterior Post new mods or questions about the inside or outside of your mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
Dominic Toretto

Default Yellow Foglights

Now that my GTCS lower front fascia has arrived, I am anxious about the best way to go about having yellow lights. I've never installed HIDs so that would be new to me. I have seen some people that actually tint the lenses. What do you guys suggest?

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
DirtyD

Are you talking about tinting the fog lights in the grill? I assume so since tinting the lens of the tiny projector would be difficult.

If you are going to use the fog lights in actual fog, get some 3000K HIDs, reputable brand/company, and then you can convert the grill lights to additional driving lights oir delete them all together.

HIDs aren't that bad of an install. Can easily be done in about 45 minutes taking your time.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #3
JDMLOL

I've had pretty good luck with after market hid kits. I usually do the relay harness so that it draws from the battery (ballast start up draws more than halogen and I feel more comfortable with a fused relay harness). The harness also resolves most flickering issues especially with cars that have their lowbeams that run at a percentage of full power as drl's, but fogs shouldn't be an issue. You can get 3000k that are supposedly golden yellow but I have never ran that temp. I have only done 4300k and 8000k (when I was a high school kid and only cared about looks instead of light output, lol). Go to ddm tuning they have cheap kits that offer a lifetime warranty. Some people say they're shit because they are made overseas (then again what isn't these days?) and they assume the cheap price automatically means low quality. I've had several ddm kits and friends with them and we never had any issues.

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS
JDMLOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
DirtyD

DDM can be hit or miss as far as quality, bulb matching colors, and ballast life. I've been there for 2 of those. hey are a great company, but I'd still not deal with it to begin with.

3000K will be the best color choice to use in actual fog, which 4500K-5000K will be an excellent choice to provide additional, short range driving lights.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
JDMLOL

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
4500K-5000K will be an excellent choice to provide additional, short range driving lights.
I think that would look best. 4300k and the shades near that temp look the best IMO, especially behind projectors.

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS
Old 07-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #6
Dominic Toretto

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
Are you talking about tinting the fog lights in the grill? I assume so since tinting the lens of the tiny projector would be difficult.

If you are going to use the fog lights in actual fog, get some 3000K HIDs, reputable brand/company, and then you can convert the grill lights to additional driving lights oir delete them all together.

HIDs aren't that bad of an install. Can easily be done in about 45 minutes taking your time.
I am talking about possibly tinting the foglights that are integrated into the GTCS fascia. I do not plan to keep the stock foglights in place and will just get an aftermarket grill in place of those.

Originally Posted by JDMLOL View Post
I've had pretty good luck with after market hid kits. I usually do the relay harness so that it draws from the battery (ballast start up draws more than halogen and I feel more comfortable with a fused relay harness). The harness also resolves most flickering issues especially with cars that have their lowbeams that run at a percentage of full power as drl's, but fogs shouldn't be an issue. You can get 3000k that are supposedly golden yellow but I have never ran that temp. I have only done 4300k and 8000k (when I was a high school kid and only cared about looks instead of light output, lol). Go to ddm tuning they have cheap kits that offer a lifetime warranty. Some people say they're shit because they are made overseas (then again what isn't these days?) and they assume the cheap price automatically means low quality. I've had several ddm kits and friends with them and we never had any issues.
Thanks. What's "ddm?" I prefer yellow as the color for fogs as it provides (to me) the best contrast to the high beam... and just look cool to me lol.

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Old 07-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #7
Mrjeremyt

I just bought a car with HID's from the factory... problem solved. lol

94 F150 302
New project, thinking built, procharger, powerglide, tubbed, super sleeper
Mrjeremyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:15 AM   #8
Dominic Toretto

Originally Posted by Mrjeremyt View Post
The stock foglights for your car are not HIDs they are LEDs.

-Alex

Old 07-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #9
JDMLOL

Originally Posted by Dominic Toretto View Post
I am talking about possibly tinting the foglights that are integrated into the GTCS fascia. I do not plan to keep the stock foglights in place and will just get an aftermarket grill in place of those.
I'm sort of confused... If you're talking about tinting projector fogs like the ones pictured below I don't think it's possible (maybe I'm wrong) unless you go with 3000k HID's or aftermarket projectors that may have a yellow lens.

DDMtuning.com is the site. Like I said, they have mixed reviews but I have had good luck with them but Derek has had different results. I don't know of any other brands that are "Reputable" per se because technically retrofitting HID's in housings designed for halogen bulbs is illegal. Most of the companies are from overseas so it would be best to just look for reviews on forums. I don't think Philips or Osram/Sylvania makes kits (which would be ideal since they are the leaders in HID lighting and are used as OE on most vehicles) although I think some companies make kits and slap their name on the box.

The Queen:

Last edited by JDMLOL; 07-25-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:25 AM   #10
DirtyD

I think that would look best. 4300k and the shades near that temp look the best IMO, especially behind projectors.
4700K is the absolute best color for a projector housing setup. The colorshift at that point is amazing, and the light output is about as close to optimal as you will get.

I don't think tinting the projectors would be a good idea. Since it's not an open reflective housing, the vinyl could disrupt the pattern of the light through the lens. I would stick to getting the colored HID setup you want.

Thanks. What's "ddm?" I prefer yellow as the color for fogs as it provides (to me) the best contrast to the high beam... and just look cool to me lol.

-Alex
DDM Tuning is a company that came around mainly from BMW aftermarket exterior parts that now sells a relatively inexpensive HID setup.

LOL. Jeremy, we are talking about the foglights, not the headlights.

The stock foglights for your car are not HIDs they are LEDs.

-Alex
Old 07-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #11
Dominic Toretto

I'm sort of confused... If you're talking about tinting projector fogs like the ones pictured below I don't think it's possible (maybe I'm wrong) unless you go with 3000k HID's or aftermarket projectors that may have a yellow lens.
Yes I was considering having those lenses tinted, if at all possible. Was basically just trying to get an idea from you all if it was possible as an alternative to retrofitting HIDs.

-Alex

Old 07-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #12
Mrjeremyt

Hell i dunno what they are. I dont really care as long as i dont have to replace one of those expensive things. Lol

94 F150 302
New project, thinking built, procharger, powerglide, tubbed, super sleeper
Mrjeremyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #13
JDMLOL

Hell i dunno what they are. I dont really care as long as i dont have to replace one of those expensive things. Lol
Lol. Those fogs will outlast the car. I love where LED technology has gone over the past few years. I can't wait until LED headlights are more of a common option like what comes on the new Acuras.

The Queen:
Old 07-25-2013, 10:40 AM   #14
DirtyD

DDMtuning.com is the site. Like I said, they have mixed reviews but I have had good luck with them but Derek has had different results. I don't know of any other brands that are "Reputable" per se because technically retrofitting HID's in housings designed for halogen bulbs is illegal. Most of the companies are from overseas so it would be best to just look for reviews on forums. I don't think Philips or Osram/Sylvania makes kits (which would be ideal since they are the leaders in HID lighting and are used as OE on most vehicles) although I think some companies make kits and slap their name on the box.
www.TheRetrofitSource.com is by far the most reputable company out there that has PNP HID components. But they are no where near as cheap as DDM (around $200-$250 for ballasts and bulbs, but they are worth it). StandMods and another site I can't remember are also good.

Also, when you say retrofitting, you mean just "plug 'n play". Retrofitting is cutting up a pair of headlights and putting a projector housing in place of the reflector bowl.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:41 AM   #15
DirtyD

Lol. Those fogs will outlast the car. I love where LED technology has gone over the past few years. I can't wait until LED headlights are more of a common option like what comes on the new Acuras.
Still wish they had chosen a better color LED. 5700K is stupid for a fog light to actually be useful. 4500K would've been much better...or even 5000K.