Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Interior/Exterior

Interior/Exterior Post new mods or questions about the inside or outside of your mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 03-10-2014, 04:54 PM   #1
DallasGator

Default LED map lights installed

Simple $12+shipping and great results. Bought the bulbs on superbrightLEDs. They look identical to the $30 bulbs on AmericanMuscle but 1/3 of the price. (WLED-WHP5: Cool White)

Install was very easy except the darned LED bulbs don't fit into the plastic hole. If i had a drill or file on hand I would have lightly enlarged the hole. But since I didn't I had to jam them in and hope they didn't break, got lucky that one made a cracking sound but nothing visible happened. Here is the result.

Sorry I forgot to take a before picture from outside the car. Note that this is inside a parking garage with so-so visibility.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:03 PM   #2
DirtyD

Same exact bulbs in my car. They.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:49 AM   #3
Pat McCrotch

To get the light cover off, do you just yank it down? Or is there a trick? I have tried to pull mine off but it feels like it's going to rip the damn headliner right off.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:55 AM   #4
re-rx7
Banned

You pull down the little plastic pieces not the whole cover. Use a flathead with a cloth.
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 04:37 PM   #5
DallasGator

Originally Posted by re-rx7 View Post
You pull down the little plastic pieces not the whole cover. Use a flathead with a cloth.
Not quite. That is actually not right at all.

Originally Posted by Pat McCrotch View Post
To get the light cover off, do you just yank it down? Or is there a trick? I have tried to pull mine off but it feels like it's going to rip the damn headliner right off.
it really didn't take much force. Pull down from the front of the cover. I held the headliner while pulling the cover down but it didn't move much anyway. Americanmuscle.com has a good write up.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:59 PM   #6
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by DallasGator View Post
Not quite. That is actually not right at all.

it really didn't take much force. Pull down from the front of the cover. I held the headliner while pulling the cover down but it didn't move much anyway. Americanmuscle.com has a good write up.
Well then you must have don alot more then neccasary because every place I looked at said that is how to do it. Thats exactly how I did it. Took all of 2 minutes. Work smarter not harder.

Last edited by re-rx7; 03-11-2014 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:11 PM   #7
DallasGator

Well then you must have don alot more then neccasary because every place I looked at said that is how to do it. Thats exactly how I did it. Took all of 2 minutes. Work smarter not harder.
http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-...leds-pics.html

This shows how to put in bulbs that don't fit through the sockets. You still remove the entire assembly. That is the first step in either method. Unless you tried to pop off the clear plastic while the assembly is up, that is just asking to break it.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:26 PM   #8
re-rx7
Banned

I popped the clear plastic off, inserted lights, replace plastic. ALso if you look at the plastic pieces they have tabs which shows they were meant to be removed. Ive had Zero probs and save time and possible future headliner probs. 1.00 plastic or 200.00 liner?

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ght-bulbs.html
Old 03-13-2014, 09:04 PM   #9
DallasGator

I popped the clear plastic off, inserted lights, replace plastic. ALso if you look at the plastic pieces they have tabs which shows they were meant to be removed. Ive had Zero probs and save time and possible future headliner probs. 1.00 plastic or 200.00 liner?

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums...ght-bulbs.html
1 person says to pry the lens off, every other person and instructions say to take the housing down. I'll go with the latter. Anyways, we both got it done with no damage, so w/e.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:14 PM   #10
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by DallasGator View Post
1 person says to pry the lens off, every other person and instructions say to take the housing down. I'll go with the latter. Anyways, we both got it done with no damage, so w/e.
Jesus your dense.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:48 PM   #11
downtime!

I popped the lenses off mine as well. There are 2 small tabs and 1 large, impossible to mess it up. A small flat blade screwdriver and about 1 minute of my time. I used Superbrite LED's as well, but mine are made for exterior lighting (like a license plate light) and have multiple lights on each one. Very bright.
Old 03-14-2014, 12:55 PM   #12
Dan12GT

Same ones I have in mine as well. I recently replaced the trunk LED with the single LED bulb SBLEDs had. I originally had the one that had 9 individuals. I am amazed how bright 1 tiny LED can be. Its nearly twice as bright as the one with 9.

Airaid CAI | Borla S-Type Catback | Amsoil 10w30 and MTG Trans. Fluid
382hp 387ft/lb | 1/4: 12.9 @ 112mph
Dan12GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 03:14 PM   #13
yefferys50

Jesus your dense.
Clearly you're the dense one. He did it his way, many instructions out there side with him. You did it your way, as have a few others. F*cking shut up about it.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:43 PM   #14
downtime!

Originally Posted by yefferys50 View Post
F*cking shut up about it.
And yet here you are, dragging up a two week old dead thread, just to comment. Hello Pot? This is kettle, sup?