Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Interior/Exterior

Interior/Exterior Post new mods or questions about the inside or outside of your mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 03-26-2014, 08:13 AM   #1
Pewter Lurch

Default HID fog lights blinking

I installed my HID fog light Monday night. When driving in this morning I kept having one go out then kick back on. Now sure what it could be. Any thoughts?

2011 Mustang GT Premium
The Go Fast:
Magnaflow 3" OA | Pypes X-Pipe | Steeda CAI | VMP Tune | BBK Cat Deletes | SVT GT500 quad mufflers |

The Ride & Look Good:
Ford K Springs | BMR Adj. LCAs | BMR Relo. Brackets | BMR Adj. PHB | GT500 Spoiler | Boss Rear | Retrofit Headlights | GT/CS facia | Boss splitter | Retro billet grille | Steeda X Brace | Enkie RPF1 18x8/18x9.5 | '14 tail lights | '14 GT500 quad bumber |

Collecting Dust:
|Go Fast Parts(SHHHH no one knows)|
Pewter Lurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:37 AM   #2
DirtyD

Cheap ballasts. Check the connections. If the connections are good, then it's the ballast.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:23 PM   #3
Pewter Lurch

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
Cheap ballasts. Check the connections. If the connections are good, then it's the ballast.
It is a DDM set. I havent had a bad ballest yet for them but I will look tonight

2011 Mustang GT Premium
The Go Fast:
Magnaflow 3" OA | Pypes X-Pipe | Steeda CAI | VMP Tune | BBK Cat Deletes | SVT GT500 quad mufflers |

The Ride & Look Good:
Ford K Springs | BMR Adj. LCAs | BMR Relo. Brackets | BMR Adj. PHB | GT500 Spoiler | Boss Rear | Retrofit Headlights | GT/CS facia | Boss splitter | Retro billet grille | Steeda X Brace | Enkie RPF1 18x8/18x9.5 | '14 tail lights | '14 GT500 quad bumber |

Collecting Dust:
Old 03-26-2014, 07:04 PM   #4
DirtyD

Originally Posted by Pewter Lurch View Post
It is a DDM set. I havent had a bad ballest yet for them but I will look tonight

Wouldn't put it past them. Their quality has gone to shit recently.
Old 03-28-2014, 12:52 PM   #5
TurboZ

ballasts are the most common problem with cheap HIDs, also bulbs can be also. Swap each side and see if it transfers, just start with the ballasts. If it transfers then get another ballast, if it doesn't, swap the bulbs. If it still is on the same side you have a voltage problem. Ballasts won't continue to run with an under/over voltage condition, they have a set voltage range they work in. Sometimes it requires using a relay kit to use power directly from the battery to keep a constant good stream of 12v. Most of your smaller circuits in newer cars have quite a bit of voltage fluctuation as accessories get turned on/off, they're pretty sensitive to minor voltage drops.

**83 Turbo 280ZX** - Megasquirt 2 v3.0 Stand alone EMS, n42 head swap (8.3:1 cr), n42 intake, 60mm throttle body, z31 watercooled T3, NXS Manual boost controller (12psi) MSD Blaster 2 Coil, Apexi 3" Turboback Exhaust, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Greddy Type-S BOV, DNA Motoring FMIC, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, CX Racing SR20 Radiator, Custom Ram Air Intake, Suspension Techniques Sway Bars, Eibach 2" Pro Lowering Springs, Tokico Blue HP Shocks, Energy Suspension LCA, Subframe, & End link Bushings
TurboZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 07:23 PM   #6
Pewter Lurch

Originally Posted by TurboZ View Post
ballasts are the most common problem with cheap HIDs, also bulbs can be also. Swap each side and see if it transfers, just start with the ballasts. If it transfers then get another ballast, if it doesn't, swap the bulbs. If it still is on the same side you have a voltage problem. Ballasts won't continue to run with an under/over voltage condition, they have a set voltage range they work in. Sometimes it requires using a relay kit to use power directly from the battery to keep a constant good stream of 12v. Most of your smaller circuits in newer cars have quite a bit of voltage fluctuation as accessories get turned on/off, they're pretty sensitive to minor voltage drops.
Looks like it is a bad ballast. Swapped the ballasts and passenger side wont come on now.

2011 Mustang GT Premium
The Go Fast:

The Ride & Look Good:

Collecting Dust:
Old 03-28-2014, 11:05 PM   #7
DirtyD

Looks like it is a bad ballast. Swapped the ballasts and passenger side wont come on now.
honestly grant, order a set of Morimoto 35W ballasts from The retrofit source.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:09 PM   #8
Pewter Lurch

That what I am going to do. They guy building my Retrofit headlights is sending mean extra set of Morimoto 35w ballasts to use for the fogs

2011 Mustang GT Premium
The Go Fast:

The Ride & Look Good:

Collecting Dust:
Old 03-30-2014, 12:11 AM   #9
JDMLOL

Default HID fog lights blinking

That what I am going to do. They guy building my Retrofit headlights is sending mean extra set of Morimoto 35w ballasts to use for the fogs

Post pics when your retrofits are done...of the housings and the light spread at night.

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS
JDMLOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 12:42 AM   #10
DirtyD

That's a win.