Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > Photos & Videos > Other Makes and Models

Other Makes and Models Section for people who don't have 5.0s but still have badass cars. DFW 5.0s Welcomes everyone

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:35 PM   #1
Dominic Toretto

Default Venom GT Record Holder 270.49MPH

Wow!

"Combining the best of the Lotus Elise and Chevrolet Corvette is the Hennessey's Venom GT. It's a nod to past supercars that were born from British design and American power like the Sunbeam Tiger, Shelby Cobra and Ford GT40.

With a thoroughly modern chassis from the Elise and more than enough power from the LS9 V8, the Venom set the world record for production cars in February of 2014 when Brian Smith drove a Venom to 270.49 mph (435.31 km/h) on the Kennedy Space Center space shuttle landing runway.

Venom body updates were done by Steve Everitt who has designed VenomAero kits for Hennessey dating back to 1996. His design shows a low-slung coupe which has a retractable rear wing, low frontal area and deep air intakes on the side as well as the roof.

Read more at http://www.supercars.net/cars/3978.html#ltxmxFH1YyelsPaG.99"

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Dominic Toretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 01:56 PM   #2
DirtyD

*Not a world record for a production car*

People keep leaving that part out. He has to build 200 cars to make it an official production car. He has stated many times he will only build 199 of them. The Veyron will holds the Guiness World Record because Hennessey failed to do a second validation run in the opposite direction on that runway. NASA would not allow them to run in the other direction.

So this needs to have a bunch of astericks by the claim.

Still absolutely insane that car was still accelerating at 1 MPH/s from 260-270. With enough road, I think 285-290 is possible....
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
Dominic Toretto

Thanks for the clarification Derek. I just skimmed the article. It may not be official but, I believe this car is, without a doubt, faster than the Veyron... but, I'd rather have a Veyron.

-Alex

Ford Racing . Pypes . BMR . CDC . American Muscle . DDM Tuning . BFG . J&M . Amsoil . MMD. JLT
Old 02-26-2014, 04:01 PM   #4
zsommer79

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
[B][U]
Still absolutely insane that car was still accelerating at 1 MPH/s from 260-270. With enough road, I think 285-290 is possible....

Doubtful that has another 15-20 mph in it. Maybe gearing could get it a few more MPH but at those speeds air resistance is crazy. Its all BS anyway since he didn't run both directions, I would bet he ran with the wind. If Hennessey really thought his car was all that he could just take his car to the Salt Flats and quit griping their isn't anywhere long enough to test his overpriced Lotus. The guy I work for goes for land speed records and I bet he dumps 4 times the money into aerodynamics versus making HP. If anyone's interested here is a link to some of his runs,

http://www.rett.org/speed/speed.html
zsommer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 04:53 PM   #5
DirtyD

Originally Posted by zsommer79 View Post
Doubtful that has another 15-20 mph in it. Maybe gearing could get it a few more MPH but at those speeds air resistance is crazy. Its all BS anyway since he didn't run both directions, I would bet he ran with the wind. If Hennessey really thought his car was all that he could just take his car to the Salt Flats and quit griping their isn't anywhere long enough to test his overpriced Lotus. The guy I work for goes for land speed records and I bet he dumps 4 times the money into aerodynamics versus making HP. If anyone's interested here is a link to some of his runs,

http://www.rett.org/speed/speed.html
Oh, I know. I was just making a guess. 1 MPH/s is still moving pretty good.

Hennessey just wants to have the titles and "looks" that the majority of the car community and auto media will look after, which is street car. There is a reason he does some of the stunts (toll road testing) that he does. It's all branding.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:24 PM   #6
rlhay2

It is a fast car, very damn fast!

But...rumors are that it has kit car build quality. Which is not a deal breaker by itself.

But...the Mclaren P1 and the Hennessy Venom cost within $150K of one another. At that level, that is close enough to be equal. Is it anywhere near the value of the McClaren, Porsche 918, etc...?
Old 02-26-2014, 07:27 PM   #7
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Originally Posted by rlhay2 View Post
At that level, that is close enough to be equal. Is it anywhere near the value of the McClaren, Porsche 918, etc...?
Hell no. Saying the Venom GT is kit car quality is being generous.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:05 PM   #8
JDMLOL

Originally Posted by SlowGreyGT View Post
Hell no. Saying the Venom GT is kit car quality is being generous.

Agreed. Hennessy is a "fly-by-night" company compared to legends like McLaren, Porsche, etc...

I'd rather sport a Koenigsegg CCXR or Agera above any of the latter though if I was up for spending that kind of money.

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS
JDMLOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:04 AM   #9
Dominic Toretto

Originally Posted by rlhay2 View Post
But...rumors are that it has kit car build quality. Which is not a deal breaker by itself.
Not a rumor at all. At least from the pics. Structurally, it looks pretty good. Interior wise... well you be the judge lol.

-Alex

Old 02-27-2014, 12:15 AM   #10
zsommer79

Given Hennessey's spotted track record most of the interior pieces are probably from another customer's car that he hasn't finished yet.
zsommer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:03 AM   #11
rlhay2

Given Hennessey's spotted track record most of the interior pieces are probably from another customer's car that he hasn't finished yet.
This too!
Maybe he has changed his business tactics but he was well know for his lack of scruples in the 90's.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:23 AM   #12
Dominic Toretto

ROFL, that's sad but, funny.

I would think that those days are over since he still manages to get new clientele.

-Alex