Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > General Discussions

General Discussions Discuss anything in general about your 5.0 Mustang that doesn't belong within the other categories here.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Default Front license plate Bill

House Bill 657 to be considered on Tuesday 03/13. Write your legislator.

UPDATE

Texas Single License Plate Bill Introduced in Texas Legislature to be Considered on Tues., March 12

Legislation (H.B. 657) to require the issuance of a single motor vehicle license plate for attachment at the rear of the vehicle will be considered by the Texas House Transportation Committee on Tuesday, March 12, 2013. The bill, favored by state hobbyists, would apply to passenger cars and light trucks.

We Urge You to Contact Members of the House Transportation Committee (Contact Info Below) Immediately to Request Support for H.B. 657

H.B. 657 would apply to all passenger cars used to accommodate 10 or fewer passengers and light trucks, including pickup trucks, panel delivery trucks, or carryall trucks that have a manufacturer's rated carrying capacity of 2,000 pounds or less.

H.B. 657 would protect the aesthetic contours of collector cars and relieve vehicle owners of the burden of having to create mounting holes on fabricated bumpers, etc.

H.B. 657 would save money, conserve resources and bring Texas in line with other states that have moved to a single plate requirement.
DON’T DELAY! If you haven’t done so already, please contact members of the Texas House Transportation Committee immediately by phone or e-mail to request their support for H.B. 657.

Please e-mail a copy of your letter to Steve McDonald at [email protected]. Also, please forward this Alert to your fellow car enthusiasts. Urge them to join the SAN and help defend the hobby! Thank you for your assistance.

Texas House Transportation Committee

To e-mail all Committee members, copy and paste the email address block below:

[email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:21 PM   #2
JDBishopArts

I wish this would pass but I highly doubt it would. Texas makes too much money off the front plates. I'd even be willing to pay double for the rear plate if I didn't have to run the front one.
JDBishopArts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
brtnstrns

Would be nice, but we'll see how this goes. Can't imagine the big wigs looking out for a few people wanting to not drill into their front bumper.

03 DSG Mach 1

Stroked/Forged, Heads, Cams, Long Runner Intake, Built Cobra IRS, Cobra Fuel System
brtnstrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
MnemonicGhost

I thought it was still "illegal" but not a fineable offense. In other words they accidently left out the fee in the last ill revision. So a cop can still pull you over for it. Any truth to that?

Mods thus far: JLT Oil Separator - MMD Hood Struts
MnemonicGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
brtnstrns

Originally Posted by MnemonicGhost View Post
I thought it was still "illegal" but not a fineable offense. In other words they accidently left out the fee in the last ill revision. So a cop can still pull you over for it. Any truth to that?
That is correct. You could still get pulled over and they find a reason to ticket you for another reason

03 DSG Mach 1

Stroked/Forged, Heads, Cams, Long Runner Intake, Built Cobra IRS, Cobra Fuel System
brtnstrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:25 PM   #6
03MachMe

^depends on the department. They will either fix the problem or get rid of it.

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
386rwhp/383rwtq
03MachMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 03:34 AM   #7
aCid

It's illegal and they can still write you a ticket. City cops don't really give a flying fuck. They will use it as a PCT though. DPS on the other hand has pulled me over twice and gave me warnings. They said my next stop they'll give me a ticket for not having a front license plate. Both DPS officers told me they still write tickets for them. One was in Austin on 130 and the other was on 35w passing TMS.

588 rwhp 510 tq
aCid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:13 AM   #8
pohnjarker

what kind of ticket do they write if there is no fee?

my wife got pulled over for it and they gave her a warning and said her name is in the database that she got a warning so next time there will be a ticket.

i got one of those no drill license plate brackets but it looks retarded...hopefully this goes away.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:09 PM   #9
MnemonicGhost

And no offense to anyone who does this, but I hate the license plate on the windshield thing. I get it. Don't want to drill out the tapped holes in the bumper, but it looks tacky on the dash. At least it's temporary. I would also hate a metal plate to be loose in the cab during an accident too.

And back on topic, I e-mailed all the representatives. Fight the power! Er. You Go Girl or something...

http://www.house.state.tx.us/members...epresentative/

Mods thus far: JLT Oil Separator - MMD Hood Struts

Last edited by MnemonicGhost; 03-12-2013 at 05:22 PM.
MnemonicGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:41 PM   #10
Phuck Phace
My Stapler!

File Transfer Protocol

2012 GT/CS
93 Cobra
Phuck Phace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
DirtyD

Originally Posted by aCid View Post
It's illegal and they can still write you a ticket. City cops don't really give a flying fuck. They will use it as a PCT though. DPS on the other hand has pulled me over twice and gave me warnings. They said my next stop they'll give me a ticket for not having a front license plate. Both DPS officers told me they still write tickets for them. One was in Austin on 130 and the other was on 35w passing TMS.
I've yet to be pulled over by a DPS for no front plate, and I have passed many here in DFW, and MANY more traveling between DFW and my home in Houston. Hell, our family friend who is a DPS officer in Brazoria County, huge for drug trafficking, said the car looks good and didn't mention my front plate missing. Haha
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #12
MidWest281

I just put the plate in the front window....I figure that's good enough. If they want to be a dick and ticket me for it, go ahead....never going to drill holes in my bumper. sorry.

2013 Performance White Boss 302
-Stock

2002 Mineral Gray GT
-VT engines Stage 2 N/A cams, full SLP exhaust, 4.10 gear...etc.
MidWest281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #13
03MachMe

Originally Posted by MidWest281 View Post
I just put the plate in the front window....I figure that's good enough. If they want to be a dick and ticket me for it, go ahead....never going to drill holes in my bumper. sorry.
Your better off to just leave it out of the car all together. In the Window will just get the cops attention, no plate at all is easier to miss. Trust me on this

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
386rwhp/383rwtq
03MachMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 10:10 PM   #14
DirtyD

Originally Posted by 03MachMe View Post
Your better off to just leave it out of the car all together. In the Window will just get the cops attention, no plate at all is easier to miss. Trust me on this
Agreed.

Go buy you a Craig's mustang bracket. Worth it for $50 to remove it whenever you want
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:47 PM   #15
MidWest281

well if the front plate is visible from the front.....technically I can't get pulled over for not having a front plate......

2013 Performance White Boss 302
-Stock

2002 Mineral Gray GT
-VT engines Stage 2 N/A cams, full SLP exhaust, 4.10 gear...etc.
MidWest281 is offline   Reply With Quote