Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > Members' Area > The Lounge

The Lounge The offtopic section.

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 06-06-2014, 06:41 PM   #1
brtnstrns

Default Moving to Houston

Well, after a little under two years of job searching, I'm finally going to get away from designing airline seats! Just got my official offer for a Mechanical Engineer position at National Oilwell Varco in Houston. It's going to seriously challenge my abilities as an engineer but that is exactly what I want/need. Especially compared to how un-innovative airline seats are! I'm pretty excited and although I only had three years in DFW, I'll for sure be missing it. Unfortunately, as an engineer, you gotta go to where the jobs are.

03 DSG Mach 1

Stroked/Forged, Heads, Cams, Long Runner Intake, Built Cobra IRS, Cobra Fuel System
brtnstrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 08:22 PM   #2
STROKD
Old School

Originally Posted by brtnstrns View Post
Well, after a little under two years of job searching, I'm finally going to get away from designing airline seats! Just got my official offer for a Mechanical Engineer position at National Oilwell Varco in Houston. It's going to seriously challenge my abilities as an engineer but that is exactly what I want/need. Especially compared to how un-innovative airline seats are! I'm pretty excited and although I only had three years in DFW, I'll for sure be missing it. Unfortunately, as an engineer, you gotta go to where the jobs are.
Best of luck, H town is a shit hole, but its better than being broke.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:21 PM   #3
DirtyD

Default Moving to Houston

Best of luck man.

Live in Pearland and commute if you are the south or west side for work.

Last edited by DirtyD; 06-07-2014 at 12:57 AM.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:26 PM   #4
brtnstrns

I'll be near Katy Freeway and Sam Houston Tollway. So I'll probably be looking around that area for a house. Not too worried about it being a shithole. All cities have their negatives. My wife and I both know a lot of people there and to me it's just another big city. Just swap out tornadoes for hurricanes.

03 DSG Mach 1

Stroked/Forged, Heads, Cams, Long Runner Intake, Built Cobra IRS, Cobra Fuel System
Old 06-07-2014, 12:44 AM   #5
Crimson600+HP

Have a buddy that lives in the Katy area. It's pretty built up with a lot of residential areas. Will definitely be different than DFW, but Houston has a thriving Mustang/car scene too. One if the tops in the nation...must be all that oil money!
ProCharger P1SC Stage 2|Full Suspension|New Plans: NA CJ Intake Manifold/OR H Pipe/3.73 Gears
Road Raced|Auto-X'd
Drag Raced|12.4s @ 119.7
Texas Mile|1/2 Mile: 140.3|1 Mile: 166.4|She had more in her!
Crimson600+HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:33 AM   #6
brtnstrns

Originally Posted by Crimson600+HP View Post
Have a buddy that lives in the Katy area. It's pretty built up with a lot of residential areas. Will definitely be different than DFW, but Houston has a thriving Mustang/car scene too. One if the tops in the nation...must be all that oil money!
Yeah. Gonna have to find a new shop that treats me as well as TSM. Not sure if that'll be possible though

03 DSG Mach 1

Old 06-07-2014, 03:10 AM   #7
Barry McCockiner

Best of luck. I lived in Houston for three and a half years and loved it.
Barry McCockiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 08:19 AM   #8
SterlingStang

Houston sucks lived there for 30 years. Dont go
Old 06-07-2014, 04:17 PM   #9
DirtyD

Originally Posted by brtnstrns View Post
Yeah. Gonna have to find a new shop that treats me as well as TSM. Not sure if that'll be possible though

There are definitely good shops down there. The Houston area Mustang guys will point you in the right direction
Old 06-10-2014, 01:12 PM   #10
brtnstrns

Alright guys, do any of y'all have recommendations on moving companies? I had no luck negotiating a moving package so it'll be on my dime but I want to know what companies are the best for the price? I'm not going to be a cheap-ass about it as I understand you get what you pay for, but obviously, value is important. And yes, I could save money moving it myself, but after moving myself for the past 8 years, I'm done with that, especially with the newer furniture I have now.

So, any suggestions for movers from Dallas to Houston?

03 DSG Mach 1

Old 06-10-2014, 03:15 PM   #11
DirtyD

I've seen commercials about Old Dominion Freight Line. You pack it, they will drive and deliver it. Don't know how their pricing fairs though
Old 06-16-2014, 05:10 PM   #12
Lucky13

We used ABF Upack. They drop a trailer, you fill it they pull it down and drop it. Have so many days to unpack. Reasonable rates last time we used it.

Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:28 PM   #13
brtnstrns

I'll admit, the drivers in Houston are shit (noticed even only being there a week - don't go on green because you can pretty much guarantee at least three people running the red) but pretty much everything else isn't as bad as you all made it out to be.

This new job is better in every conceivable way than my last one so I'm ecstatic. Going to close on our house in mid-August and will only have a 10-minute, 7 mile commute, whereas I've had an hour, 56 mile commute for the past three years.

So what are some shops I should look into for future Mustang-related issues?

03 DSG Mach 1