Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Interior/Exterior

Interior/Exterior Post new mods or questions about the inside or outside of your mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:21 PM   #31
dallasmike
DFW5.0s Preferred Vendor

just to clarify a few things. The Wheels that phuck face has I do believe are forgestar wheels. These are not your typical cheap chinese cast wheel. They are flow formed and are actually several lbs lighter than stock wheels. Even 3 piece wheels can be heavy, it really depends on the style. Hate to say this to you Steve but your wheels are going to be amongst the heaviest in the forged wheel world. The lightest wheel you can purchase is going to be a one piece forged monoblock wheel. This is the process of making a single wheel out of one block of aluminum. VERY EXPENSIVE as well. The next lightest process is going to a step lip 3 piece wheel. Then we come to the style that Steve has which is a flat lip. There are two styles here as well, one has a stainless steel lip for the "chrome affect" and the other is polished aluminum. Polished aluminum being the lightest of the two.

Now we come to the hybrid wheel aka flow formed. This wheel starts out as a cast center and then the barrel of the wheel if forge spun. This creates a very strong one piece lightweight wheel. Weight wise will compare to a 3 piece flat lip wheel.

Now we also have deep concave 3 piece wheels. If you want lightweight you need to run away from these. The "legs" of the center forging that give the concave look add a TON of material and weight to these wheels. They typically weigh as much as cast wheels.

Finally we have cast wheels. This style is made by having raw aluminum poored into a mold and cooled. Very low tech, not extremely strong nor is it light weight. But they're cheap! Problem is quality control. OEM cast wheels have to survive a ton of testing to be allowed on your car. Chinese knockoffs and others do not have the same testing and can lead to very bad things.

If you need help with wheels we pretty much carry any brand you can think of and will be just about anybody on price.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #32
Phuck Phace
My Stapler!

Yeah...

2012 GT/CS
93 Cobra
Phuck Phace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #33
Joey289

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I've got 20x9/20x11 with a 305 tire with no body or fender modifications at all. The fenderwells on these cars come pre-rolled from the factory. They are really large, so you really need a larger wheel to properly fill the fenderwell to make it look right, in my opinion.

In 19's, you have limited wheel and tire selection which makes it difficult at times to find the look you are going for. 20's really are the only way to go because 18's are just too small and look like matchbox wheels on these big cars. lol.
Just curious.... but if you run a 305 all the way around... why did you do staggered wheels?
Joey289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:57 PM   #34
jayman33

The 305 Steve is referring to is only the rear tire.

OP, look into the new TSW concave series, these are new for 2013 and should be available soon. Forgestar has a new wheel CF5V that is much different than their other styles. I'm a fan of the 19's, I have a set of Vossen CV2's for sale but as a set they're pretty expensive. Many of the companies that produce forged wheels are now coming out with the flow formed wheels due to the popularity, strength, weight and cost. HRE and ADV1 have developed a few flow formed wheels.

www.hypermotiveperformance.com
734-306-5231
jayman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:12 PM   #35
merlinmol

Originally Posted by Joey289 View Post
What size tires are you running? Your's looks great. Any modifications besides lowering that you had to do to make it all fit?
Just lowering it. If it isn't lowered with 20 x 11's you will scrape the bump stop due to width, otherwise nothing else had to be done.
merlinmol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:43 AM   #36
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Just curious.... but if you run a 305 all the way around... why did you do staggered wheels?
Sorry, I figured it was pretty straight forward. 305 rears only.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #37
Joey289

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Sorry, I figured it was pretty straight forward. 305 rears only.
I figured that is what you meant, but since I want to have all 4 tires the same...I am more worried about what size fits on the front as that will probably be my limiting factor in tire choce. With that being said, what size do you have on the front?
Old 01-03-2013, 09:52 AM   #38
LilWhite

Originally Posted by jayman33 View Post
The 305 Steve is referring to is only the rear tire.

OP, look into the new TSW concave series, these are new for 2013 and should be available soon. Forgestar has a new wheel CF5V that is much different than their other styles. I'm a fan of the 19's, I have a set of Vossen CV2's for sale but as a set they're pretty expensive. Many of the companies that produce forged wheels are now coming out with the flow formed wheels due to the popularity, strength, weight and cost. HRE and ADV1 have developed a few flow formed wheels.

Are they available / do you have a link where i can see them?
LilWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #39
Grandpa
I> /\/\

I figured that is what you meant, but since I want to have all 4 tires the same...I am more worried about what size fits on the front as that will probably be my limiting factor in tire choce. With that being said, what size do you have on the front?
265/35 on front.

Originally Posted by LilWhite View Post
HRE and ADV1 make some badass wheels, but they are major money. Ouch!
Old 01-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #40
jayman33

Originally Posted by LilWhite View Post
You can just go right on their website. -

www.hypermotiveperformance.com
734-306-5231
jayman33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:08 AM   #41
Joey289

After going through the 20 page wheel thread on svtp I learned a few things...
1) matte black or charcoal looks horrible on silver stangs
2) 99% of mustangs have black wheels. 90% of those are some variation similar to the amr wheel.

3) there are not many silver stangs on that site.

If I go black it will have to be a gloss black with either a polished lip or some kind of color offset.

I think I have narrowed it down to chrome. Chrome always looks good on a silver car. What do y'all think?

I am liking the steeda spyders. The 20x9.5 weighs 30 lbs and the 20x11weighs 33lbs.

http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-c...d-mustang.html

Same wheel in machine w/ black
http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-b...d-mustang.html

Last edited by Joey289; 01-04-2013 at 12:31 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:00 AM   #42
DirtyD

I kind of like the Shelby wheels that Danny runs...
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:02 AM   #43
Joey289

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
I kind of like the Shelby wheels that Danny runs...
I do too. I pulled up those wheels and was disappointed to see the rivets.

Last edited by Joey289; 01-04-2013 at 09:51 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:11 AM   #44
Grandpa
I> /\/\

2) 99% of mustangs have black wheels. 90% of those are some variation similar to the amr wheel.

If I go black it will have to be a gloss black with either a polished lip or some kind of color offset.

I think I have narrowed it down to chrome. Chrome always looks good on a silver car. What do y'all think?

I am liking the steeda spyders. The 20x9.5 weighs 30 lbs and the 20x11weighs 33lbs.

Exactly why I have been saying what I have. lol.

I do too. I pulled up an up lose and was disappointed to see the rivets.
The "rivets" on Danny's CS40 Shelby wheels were fake and he removed them making the wheels look MUCH better for that style of wheel.

People often mention the "rivets" in my wheels. The difference is that my wheels are real three piece wheels and require the assembly bolts to hold my wheels together. It is a love them or hate them look and not for everyone. I can't say I've always been a fan of the bolts either, but in the case of these wheels I really like them.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:59 AM   #45
merlinmol

I personally like the machine way better than chrome. Chrome has been so overdone and if the plating isn't high quality it looks cheap.
merlinmol is offline   Reply With Quote