Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Interior/Exterior

Interior/Exterior Post new mods or questions about the inside or outside of your mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:50 AM   #1
Monolith

Default anyone have any experience with these Raxiom navi unit's?

Seen these on the American Muscle webpage...looks like a nice upgrade from my 2012 non-navi unit....

http://www.americanmuscle.com/raxiom-gps-nav-1014.html

But I'm curious as to how they affect the Shaker system....I have the Sync so I fit the requirements but the webpage doesn't mention Shaker systems anywhere...and are they worth it? I want to make sure the system itself is worth the money spent...if it's full of bugs and doesn't sound as good as OE I won't do it.
Monolith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:46 PM   #2
Reaper

I just ordered this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBGCc3X241U so i could go back to stock in a second if i wanted, looks close to OEM, just sync through bluetooth, AND if u have a cellular iPad mini (Even without paying for a service plan) you got free GPS right there. They start shipping in like 3 days and they only have a few left so if your interested i'd hurry! Also if you email them they may give u a preorder discount.
Recaros, JLT CAI, LP H-pipe, Corsa quad exhaust w/ GT500 valence, Lund tune, Eibach sportline springs, Koni yellows, BMR red panhard bar and LCAs, MGW shifter, RTR 19X9.5 wheels, Billet upper grill, Roush high flow lower grill, Cervini stalker spoiler, tint all around wrapped in matte black

Last edited by Reaper; 11-14-2014 at 01:56 PM.
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:09 PM   #3
Monolith

But I already bluetooth my phone for hands free...both could not be bluetooth connected at the same time can they? Voice directions would cut out my phone call to play over the speakers wouldn't they? Now having an IPad with service would be awesome there....it could do everything....including Waze

Or....my iphone 6 plus could be an access point for wifi.....that would work...but still curious about the dual bluetooth connections...

Now if they made the bezel a tad larger for a wireless charging case to fit...that would be awesome!!!

Last edited by Monolith; 11-14-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:18 PM   #4
Reaper

Originally Posted by Monolith View Post
But I already bluetooth my phone for hands free...both could not be bluetooth connected at the same time can they? Voice directions would cut out my phone call to play over the speakers wouldn't they? Now having an IPad with service would be awesome there....it could do everything....including Waze
Yes you can. You just need to buy a bluetooth dongle kit and plug it into ur AUX port(Use this for the iPad mini and use ur normal sync for your phone). Then you can sync both. Like in this video at 2:38 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INltib0M-gs Hope that helps. Remember this is for the iPad MINI.

Another cool thing is now you can buy this if you go this route http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPLzj8FCzEg lol It never ends...
Recaros, JLT CAI, LP H-pipe, Corsa quad exhaust w/ GT500 valence, Lund tune, Eibach sportline springs, Koni yellows, BMR red panhard bar and LCAs, MGW shifter, RTR 19X9.5 wheels, Billet upper grill, Roush high flow lower grill, Cervini stalker spoiler, tint all around wrapped in matte black

Last edited by Reaper; 11-14-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 02:23 PM   #5
Monolith

Whoa...$499 for the mount? No IPad Mini included? Nah..I'll pass....
Old 11-14-2014, 02:49 PM   #6
Reaper

Whoa...$499 for the mount? No IPad Mini included? Nah..I'll pass....
Cost 399 with discount for me. I understand though. I've heard a lot of problems with that nav unit u linked. Make sure u do research on it before u buy it!
Old 11-16-2014, 02:26 PM   #7
NAVAG

I backed out of ordering the Nav unit from AM several times. I always ask myself
Do I really need this?
Do I really feel like installing it?
How often do I actually use Navigation?
I always come to the conclusion that it is $700 that go go toward something else. I'm a gadget guy and I like the idea of owning one but It's something that I would rarely use. Right now I just use google maps on my cell phone and after owning this car for two years I've only needed it a handful of times. Go back to 1989 when I owned my first Mustang and I had no cell phone and had to use a map and what I got now is a hundred times better.

I've heard good and bad things about the Raxiom unit from AM. The thing that I don't like about it is not being able to use my factory Satellite Antenna unless it is hard wired in, otherwise you would have to mount their antenna somewhere else. For a product that is claiming to have an OE appearance and is pretty much plug and play with everything else one would figure that the antenna would be too...
1989 GRAY/SILVER AUTO GT
1988 RED GT
1989 WHITE LX 5.0 HATCH
NAVAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 01:32 AM   #8
Monolith

Appreciate the info Nav....and its true..I use my phone for navigation on a daily basis (Waze tells you when there's cops ahead or an accident)...and won't be able to use Waze there...and I could put that $700 towards other things.....do want that CJ intake.....

Thanks for helping me make up my mind
Old 11-17-2014, 08:55 AM   #9
Reaper

Appreciate the info Nav....and its true..I use my phone for navigation on a daily basis (Waze tells you when there's cops ahead or an accident)...and won't be able to use Waze there...and I could put that $700 towards other things.....do want that CJ intake.....

Thanks for helping me make up my mind
Cool deal. I'd buy the cobra jet from tascaparts.com cheapest place I've found.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:19 PM   #10
NAVAG

I kinda like that iPad marklar. Good thing about that is I can use an iPad anywhere. I'm going to look into that further.
1989 GRAY/SILVER AUTO GT
1988 RED GT
1989 WHITE LX 5.0 HATCH
NAVAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:10 PM   #11
Reaper

Originally Posted by NAVAG View Post
I kinda like that iPad marklar. Good thing about that is I can use an iPad anywhere. I'm going to look into that further.
I'll post some pics for you when I get it installed. I have a kid so it great to just take it out for him to use or if he wants to watch something.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:19 AM   #12
Clrd2lnd

I bought and installed the raxiom unit from AM a little over a month ago. I like having all the sync options and steering wheel controls available. Installation is not bad, if you have some skill it’s a breeze. I installed the rear view camera also. The pros are:
Satillte works
Full 3D nav without a 2g upgrade
All sync, Bluetooth audio etc still work

Cons:
Rear view camera looks aftermarket, not as clean as the factory mount integrated into the wing.
Instructions stink. I used youtube.
The factory mislabeled a wire connection so my sync voice command and navigation voice did not go out on the speakers. Called AM they told me to switch the wire and it has worked flawlessly. Bad part was I had to take the console apart again to switch it but doing it already it took me a 1/3 of the time.

After watching that video about the magnetic mount why not just get this and save a few hundred?
http://www.amazon.com/iOttie-Dashboa...pad+car+mounts

Serves the same purpose as the fancy magnetic one. If you have just a wifi ipad the thing would be worthless unless you tether it to your phone to get nav info. No charging capabilities either? Ill just keep my Ipad in my bag when driving.

Last edited by Clrd2lnd; 11-18-2014 at 11:40 AM.
Clrd2lnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:33 PM   #13
Reaper

Originally Posted by Clrd2lnd View Post
I bought and installed the raxiom unit from AM a little over a month ago. I like having all the sync options and steering wheel controls available. Installation is not bad, if you have some skill it’s a breeze. I installed the rear view camera also. The pros are:
Satillte works
Full 3D nav without a 2g upgrade
All sync, Bluetooth audio etc still work

Cons:
Rear view camera looks aftermarket, not as clean as the factory mount integrated into the wing.
Instructions stink. I used youtube.
The factory mislabeled a wire connection so my sync voice command and navigation voice did not go out on the speakers. Called AM they told me to switch the wire and it has worked flawlessly. Bad part was I had to take the console apart again to switch it but doing it already it took me a 1/3 of the time.

After watching that video about the magnetic mount why not just get this and save a few hundred?
http://www.amazon.com/iOttie-Dashboa...pad+car+mounts

Serves the same purpose as the fancy magnetic one. If you have just a wifi ipad the thing would be worthless unless you tether it to your phone to get nav info. No charging capabilities either? Ill just keep my Ipad in my bag when driving.
The reason is to keep an oem look. I don't have just the wifi model. Make sure to get the cellular model with the gps chip to get free nav. I'm taking it out every time I leave the car so charging isn't a problem for me. And the screen is much bigger than the raxiom. Like I said it's not for everyone but its a nice alternative with an oem finish and large screen that does everything.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:30 PM   #14
Clrd2lnd

The non wifi one means you have to subscribe to a cell service with a monthly fee 20-30 a month on top of the ipad itself 400 and the bracket 500. Don't get me wrong I'm not downplaying the ipad kit just answering the OP asking anyone with experience.
Clrd2lnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 03:24 PM   #15
Reaper

Originally Posted by Clrd2lnd View Post
The non wifi one means you have to subscribe to a cell service with a monthly fee 20-30 a month on top of the ipad itself 400 and the bracket 500. Don't get me wrong I'm not downplaying the ipad kit just answering the OP asking anyone with experience.
It would be nice if the person already owned an iPad mini to begin with so its only $400 opposed to more expensive kits I guess. Also u don't have to pay anything monthly for gps. So there won't be a monthly bill.