Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Performance

Performance Post anything performance related to your Mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #46
Luke

Originally Posted by GTRacerX View Post
Makes sense I just don't want to be running around town looking like I'm driving to the track lol.
Ha, that's exactly what I want, but spending $1500+ on just the fronts is a problem for my greedy ass
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 02:28 PM   #47
GTRacerX

Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Ha, that's exactly what I want, but spending $1500+ on just the fronts is a problem for my greedy ass
Oh yea I'm eyeing some HREs but they cost $2,200 a wheel. Too rich for my blood!
GTRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #48
Grandpa
I> /\/\

Makes sense I just don't want to be running around town looking like I'm driving to the track lol. I'm looking at the style wheel every other 5.0 owner has on there car the Avant Garde M310s or something similar. Again just don't know how much the 20s weigh?
I don't have an exact weight for you, but I do know my forged 20's are a lot lighter than my 19 inch stockers that came on my car. When my wheels were being put on at Discount Tire, I took a pic of the new wheels next to the old ones. I picked up the stocker to put in my truck and it was pretty heavy. So I went to lift my 20x11 with a 305 tire on it prepared for it to be heavy and almost fell over backwards cuz it flew up so easily being so much lighter. Jucostud was laughing at me cuz I was so surprised at the weight difference.

I know a lot of people think that a wheel like mine are just some sort of status symbol thing, but really a good, lightweight wheel is just as good as making more horsepower.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #49
JDMLOL

Default Re: 500 n/a rwhp

Originally Posted by Phuck Phace View Post
13" Daytons FTW.
And some switchez...

The Queen:
2013 Race Red Mustang GT 6MT: 20" AMR's, GT500 AB, JBA LT's and ORX, SCT SF3/X3, MGW Short Throw, Some Carbon Wrap, Spoiler Delete, Eibach Sportlines, Koni STR.T's, BMR LCA's, BMR Relo Brackets, BMR UCA, Freedom Racing PHB, Maximum Motorsports CC Plates, BMR Safety loop, DSS Aluminum DS
JDMLOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:46 PM   #50
Toby

Wow I didn't realize wheel weight could make that big a difference! I'm shopping around for some 20s right now but can't find anything on weight. Is there a thread about popular wheels and their weight?
It's not necessarily the overall weight, just where the weight is placed. The car we did the test on, the aftermarket wheels were only 2 lbs Heavier then the stockers, we weighed both the same day same scale. But the issue lies in the placement of the weight. With most aftermarket wheels, most of the weight is placed in the outer barrel and the tires with less weight towards the center.

Try this, take a 12" string and put a couple of fishing weights on it 6" from one end and spin it in circles. Now take those same weights and put them at the end of the 12" string and spin it. The weight is identical but you can see how much more force is required to keep the weight spinning when it is 12" from the center rather then 6" from the center. It's a matter of physics concerning rotating inertia.
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 11:49 PM   #51
Toby

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I don't have an exact weight for you, but I do know my forged 20's are a lot lighter than my 19 inch stockers that came on my car. When my wheels were being put on at Discount Tire, I took a pic of the new wheels next to the old ones. I picked up the stocker to put in my truck and it was pretty heavy. So I went to lift my 20x11 with a 305 tire on it prepared for it to be heavy and almost fell over backwards cuz it flew up so easily being so much lighter. Jucostud was laughing at me cuz I was so surprised at the weight difference.

I know a lot of people think that a wheel like mine are just some sort of status symbol thing, but really a good, lightweight wheel is just as good as making more horsepower.
I would be willing to bet that a set of stock wheels/tires with similar weight will "show" more hp to the tires then your current setup.
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:56 AM   #52
downtime!

My car dyno'd almost 20 hp higher just by installing the Racestars over the Drifts I was running at the time. It does make a difference.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #53
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by Toby View Post
It's not necessarily the overall weight, just where the weight is placed. The car we did the test on, the aftermarket wheels were only 2 lbs Heavier then the stockers, we weighed both the same day same scale. But the issue lies in the placement of the weight. With most aftermarket wheels, most of the weight is placed in the outer barrel and the tires with less weight towards the center.

Try this, take a 12" string and put a couple of fishing weights on it 6" from one end and spin it in circles. Now take those same weights and put them at the end of the 12" string and spin it. The weight is identical but you can see how much more force is required to keep the weight spinning when it is 12" from the center rather then 6" from the center. It's a matter of physics concerning rotating inertia.
Once again Toby hits the nail on the head. I stumbled upon this back when I was younger with my civic. Had 17's but went back to stock and it felt like I gaines 20whp LOL
re-rx7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #54
GTRacerX

So don't go to a bigger wheel and tire size and just stick with stock?
Old 06-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #55
re-rx7
Banned

Just do your reseach before purchasing a wheel.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #56
Grandpa
I> /\/\

No. Just don't buy the usual heavy ass cast wheels.
Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:57 PM   #57
re-rx7
Banned

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
No. Just don't buy the usual heavy ass cast wheels.
Truf!
Old 06-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #58
GTRacerX

I was looking at te Forgestar F14s. 20x9 front and 20x11 rear. Largest tire size I'll probably go with in the back will be 305/30/20