Go Back   Dallas Fort Worth 5.0 Mustang Club > 5.0 Mustang Forum > Interior/Exterior

Interior/Exterior Post new mods or questions about the inside or outside of your mustang

Sponsored Ads
Welcome to DFW50s.com

Register to remove these ads.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:06 AM   #1
DirtyD

Last I heard they still had the required "visible from x feet" behind and in front of the vehicle.

Now most vehicles have built in reflector in the tail lights, and when they tint the tails, reflectors are useless, making them illegal. This may be something they are trying to corner.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #2
03MachMe

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
Last I heard they still had the required "visible from x feet" behind and in front of the vehicle.

Now most vehicles have built in reflector in the tail lights, and when they tint the tails, reflectors are useless, making them illegal. This may be something they are trying to corner.
this is true for Texas Traffic Code. Taillights must be visible from 300ft and "be and or reflect red". and if the reflectors no longer reflect then yes it is illegal. Now some cities may see if differently than I do and if anyone gets a ticket for it I would like to know which part of the traffic code they exactly wrote the ticket from. The way the Texas Traffic and Penal code are written can be interpreted differently by each officer.

however the federal traffic code states that you may not alter the visibility of your taillights at all so any tint would be illegal by federal guidelines.

with that being said I dont know a single cop that has written a ticket from the federal traffic code but it is probable cause for a stop. Now I also had mine tinted on my Mach for over 3 years and never got pulled over for it a single time. was pulled over numerous times but never had it mentioned to me so take that for what it is worth.

so basically they are an easy way to get hassled by the police but the odds of getting a ticket for that alone and your not doing anything else I would say are pretty slim. Just have to decide if you want to give the police a reason to pull you over every time you drive your car

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
386rwhp/383rwtq

Last edited by 03MachMe; 09-26-2012 at 11:43 AM.
03MachMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
DirtyD

Originally Posted by 03MachMe View Post
this is true for Texas Traffic Code. Taillights must be visible from 300ft and "be and or reflect red". and if the reflectors no longer reflect then yes it is illegal. Now some cities may see if differently than I do and if anyone gets a ticket for it I would like to know which part of the traffic code they exactly wrote the ticket from. The way the Texas Traffic and Penal code are written can be interpreted differently by each officer.

however the federal traffic code states that you may not alter the visibility of your taillights at all so any tint would be illegal by federal guidelines.

with that being said I dont know a single cop that has written a ticket from the federal traffic code but it is probable cause for a stop. Now I also had mine tinted on my Mach for over 3 years and never got pulled over for it a single time. was pulled over numerous times but never had it mentioned to me so take that for what it is worth.

so basically they are an easy way to get hassled by the police but the odds of getting a ticket for that alone and your not doing anything else I would say are pretty slim. Just have to decide if you want to give the police a reason to pull you over every time you drive your car
Ryan, are you an LEO? We need to make a section for you like on SVTP.
DirtyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
03MachMe

Originally Posted by DirtyD View Post
Ryan, are you an LEO? We need to make a section for you like on SVTP.
Maybe.....

2013 Deep Impact Blue GT Premium
386rwhp/383rwtq
03MachMe is offline   Reply With Quote